Meeting a good MMA grappler for the first time

Do you think roger Gracie does not know how to control his cardio while grappling? Really? His weight was too much, that's the answer in why roger gassed, not because tim Kennedy.... Although having to constantly break someonelsws grip on your gloves takes a shit ton of cardio, similar with what happens to silva This past weekend...

The adrenaline rush, pace, and exertion of an MMA fight can make you gas out way faster then a grappling match

Again, Kennedy had something to do with that and I DID watch the Silva fight so I can comment on that. Brown did not give up, kept fighting and ended up on top. Brown had a lot to do with how well he defended Silva and furthermore if you have the back, are getting tired (or fear yo will get tired), cannot advance to the choke as a "superior" grappler why not change position and move on to something else? Again, I would wager the opponent had something to do with it.

As an experienced grappler you probably should recognize positions that will wear you out if you miss the submission,looks like the RNC is on that list.

bro, im not saying kennedy didnt have something to do, but roger has grappled FAR FAR better grapplers than kennedy and I dont remember the last time I saw roger gassed (albeit not in mma)... The weight cut and probably the adrenaline dump had much more to do with it... On the silva fight, brown defended very well, its very hard to fight a 2 on 1 grip in mma, you have to keep one arm across treating the choke, although, that arm more than really treating the choke is controlling your opponent (extremely hard to finish a one arm rnc with mma gloves) the moment you let go, he escapes... it takes a lot of yourself, and the guy defending isnt even using half the energy the guy attacking is, you cant transition to anything if you opponent has that grip on you...

nice try? when I mentioned the grip fighting thing I was giving merits to kennedy...

Really? I mean Kennedy should get merits for the Hoger fight and doing what he did to Bisping!

But this is what you said.....

Although having to constantly break someonelsws grip on your gloves takes a shit ton of cardio,

If you want to grapple with good mma grappler, just go in any respectable mma gym.

They are usually nogi guy, fast pace, scramble, heavy pressure. No fancy things, just good base, basic subs and positions.

These are my favorite qualities in a training partner.

Really? I mean Kennedy should get merits for the Hoger fight and doing what he did to Bisping!

But this is what you said.....

if kennedy wasnt grip fighting well, then roger wouldnt have to constantly break the grips, thus wouldnt get tired from it... get it?

may be I didnt express myself well...

I gave you stats from 2007 till present, me counting one Fight Night isn't going to change the facts.

whats your stats? are you slow or what? your stats is that RNC is the most common sub?, that only means that among something is not common, the RNC is the most common, it means shit... the stats that will mean something is the % of back finishes vs the amount of back take...that is what matters.

so Kennedy owned roger? in what universe? half dead roger may be, in the first, all he did was defend his back, and escape in the last secs of the round. Monson is not a MMA grappler, and Matt hughes isnt either, both were very good wrestlers and monson. Pretty big difference than just a MMA grappler.

Clearly in the universe that you're not a part of. In the normal universe that the rest of us live in, Kennedy survived a fresh Roger Gracie on his back then came back to not just dominate the fight, but dominate the grappling aspect of the fight. It is what it is.

Monson is an MMA grappler. If he were a pure wrestler, I doubt he would succeed. Same for Matt Hughes. Matt Hughes would not choke Almeida to sleep if her weren't more than just a wrestler. The best way to really categorize them is either as a no gi grappler or an MMA grappler.

Clearly in the universe that you're not a part of. In the normal universe that the rest of us live in, Kennedy survived a fresh Roger Gracie on his back then came back to not just dominate the fight, but dominate the grappling aspect of the fight. It is what it is.

Monson is an MMA grappler. If he were a pure wrestler, I doubt he would succeed. Same for Matt Hughes. Matt Hughes would not choke Almeida to sleep if her weren't more than just a wrestler. The best way to really categorize them is either as a no gi grappler or an MMA grappler.

yeah, im pretty sure im not part of the universe where tim dominates roger, and huges and monson were not wrestlers prior to becoming mma fighters (which is what I meant, not to mention monson is a bjj black belt too)

yeah, im pretty sure im not part of the universe where tim dominates roger, and huges and monson were not wrestlers prior to becoming mma fighters (which is what I meant, not to mention monson is a bjj black belt too)

So Tim didn't dominate Roger? LMAOOOOOOOOO.

So Tim didn't dominate Roger? LMAOOOOOOOOO.

he survived the first, props to him, later on, he was half dead, besides, the whole point of this thread was about a grappling encounter, not an mma fight, do you think tim is going to survive with roger in a no gi scenario? I guess you would, since you brought up the example of his fight vs roger when ts was talking about a grappling encounter...

In my experience, MMA grapplers tend to be better than just pure grapplers. They take all the important and high percentage techniques from every grappling art and utilize them very efficiently. MMA grapplers are usually better athletes and usually bring more aggression and intensity, considering it's "life or death" for them in the cage when they fight.

In my experience, MMA grapplers tend to be better than just pure grapplers. They take all the important and high percentage techniques from every grappling art and utilize them very efficiently. MMA grapplers are usually better athletes and usually bring more aggression and intensity, considering it's "life or death" for them in the cage when they fight.

better in what sense? better grapplers for grappling or for mma competitions?

Which is a good point. I'd argue MMA fighters are generally better on the ground (and at takedowns) when strikes are allowed (ground and pound etc) than any pure grappler of equal rank (ie best in the world vs best in the world, top 10 vs top 10 etc), but that is a long ways from what's normally called grappling.

Moreover, I can't think of a single top MMA fighter who hasn't trained extensively some sort of pure grappling, whether BJJ or wrestling or judo (Rousey). Most have trained at least two grappling styles (wrestling and BJJ).

This right here.

Most "mma grapplers," whatever that actually means, that I roll with tend to have heavy hips and lots of top pressure, but I don't feel very threatened by them. I can't stand up, but I don't necessarily feel that I'm about to be passed/submitted. When I'm on top, there's alot of ballistic movements to make space to either stand up, or stand up into a single/double leg, very few sweep attempts.

Which is a good point. I'd argue MMA fighters are generally better on the ground (and at takedowns) when strikes are allowed (ground and pound etc) than any pure grappler of equal rank (ie best in the world vs best in the world, top 10 vs top 10 etc), but that is a long ways from what's normally called grappling.

Moreover, I can't think of a single top MMA fighter who hasn't trained extensively some sort of pure grappling, whether BJJ or wrestling or judo (Rousey). Most have trained at least two grappling styles (wrestling and BJJ).

Agree...

If he was a "good MMA grappler"......which martial arts was he "mixed" with?

MMA is an adjective, not a noun. "MMA" is not a thing, its a way to describe a sport or program that mixes several arts.

Was he a former wrestler? Jiujitsu? Sambo? He has a foundation in some grappling style.

Back