Meeting a good MMA grappler for the first time

Kevza

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Wasn't sure how to title this but that was the simplest thing I thought of lol

Anyway ive been training gi BJJ for a couple years, progressed pretty well, never missed a class and basically im pretty decent against guys whove trained years more. But then...

This new guy shows up, tells everyone hes done MMA for 'a few months ' and so the class starts.
He opts to join in rolling and it was an experience ive never really had before. He was doin all sorts of things that I haven't known and his style was just difficult to neutralize. I basically have come from doing kickboxing and then discovering BJJ. No wrestling or MMA really, so it was way different from rolling with the straight BJJ guys im used to. Definitely opened my eyes , and cant wait to challenge myself against him next time.

Oh yeh and he pretty much dominated me for the round lol Anyone else had this sudden experience before?

Most of the mma guys I train with are really really heavy and just have alot of top pressure in general. Probably to prevent people from standing up.

You may have a good point. I suppose I could also add that if anyone has solid advice then feel free to pass it on. I guess I pretty much started the roll taking it easy thinking hes new to the gi stuff ( as his technique learning wasn't that great ). But he was definitely solid when I went onto my back .

Good . . . MMA . . . grappler?

I don't even . . . what? :icon_conf

Good . . . MMA . . . grappler?

I don't even . . . what? :icon_conf

Yes, they exist! LOL. Remember when Tim Kennedy owned Roger? Matt Hughes. Monson. Some guys are just really good no gi/MMA grapplers.

Yes, they exist! LOL. Remember when Tim Kennedy owned Roger? Matt Hughes. Monson. Some guys are just really good no gi/MMA grapplers.

so Kennedy owned roger? in what universe? half dead roger may be, in the first, all he did was defend his back, and escape in the last secs of the round. Monson is not a MMA grappler, and Matt hughes isnt either, both were very good wrestlers and monson. Pretty big difference than just a MMA grappler.

It's a different game and things are a little different. Main advice would be to utilize grips to neutralize and attack, and don't just except going to your back, if you don't want to midget wrestle then lock up, get the grips/hooks you want and sit back into a sweep and start ontop......... Be ready for the instant scramble (so don't release the grips till you have him in bottom side)

So wait....... Being tired is an excuse now? Shit, I'm a lot better than I thought.

so is not? do you really think kennedy will "own" roger with a full gas tank? Roger came out half dead in the second, much to do with this weight cut, so of course it is, specially when we are talking about skills. And since this thread it was about a grappling encounter not a MMA fight, its even more relevant.

so is not? do you really think kennedy will "own" roger with a full gas tank? Roger came out half dead in the second, much to do with this weight cut, so of course it is, specially when we are talking about skills. And since this thread it was about a grappling encounter not a MMA fight, its even more relevant.

So wait, by your account roger had Kennedy's back most of the first all the way till the very end and Kennedy escapes........... Then Roger comes out "Half Dead" in the second and it's not supposed to count? Lol. Hmmm.........

Wasn't sure how to title this but that was the simplest thing I thought of lol

Anyway ive been training gi BJJ for a couple years, progressed pretty well, never missed a class and basically im pretty decent against guys whove trained years more. But then...

This new guy shows up, tells everyone hes done MMA for 'a few months ' and so the class starts.
He opts to join in rolling and it was an experience ive never really had before. He was doin all sorts of things that I haven't known and his style was just difficult to neutralize. I basically have come from doing kickboxing and then discovering BJJ. No wrestling or MMA really, so it was way different from rolling with the straight BJJ guys im used to. Definitely opened my eyes , and cant wait to challenge myself against him next time.

Oh yeh and he pretty much dominated me for the round lol Anyone else had this sudden experience before?

If you want to grapple with good mma grappler, just go in any respectable mma gym.

They are usually nogi guy, fast pace, scramble, heavy pressure. No fancy things, just good base, basic subs and positions.

Last edited:
So wait, by your account roger had Kennedy's back most of the first all the way till the very end and Kennedy escapes........... Then Roger comes out "Half Dead" in the second and it's not supposed to count? Lol. Hmmm.........

If I didnt know you better I would say you are laughing at roger being half dead after having kennedys back for most of the first round... If I didnt know you are actually a grappler I would think that you are implying that attacking from the back specially in mma doesn't gass you out... then again, are you implying that????

hey by the way, did you do what I told you to do last UFC card? did you write down how many finishes came from back takes?

If I didnt know you better I would say you are laughing at roger being half dead after having kennedys back for most of the first round... If I didnt know you are actually a grappler I would think that you are implying that attacking from the back specially in mma doesn't gass you out... then again, are you implying that????

hey by the way, did you do what I told you to do last UFC card? did you write down how many finishes came from back takes?

I did NOT see the match so take my next thought with a grain of salt.

The fact that Roger had his back for most of the 1st round and did not finish is something, right?

I would also argue that part of grappling is your conditioning. I am hell on wheels for about 27 seconds....

Part of getting gassed typically includes you exerting or overexerting yourself against an opponent, if you have an easy opponent or can dominate a certain range you probably wont be as gassed.

On the other hand if you are well matched or over-matched you might just gas out.

An injury is one thing, your grappling cardio is another and part of the game.

It's a different game and things are a little different. Main advice would be to utilize grips to neutralize and attack, and don't just except going to your back, if you don't want to midget wrestle then lock up, get the grips/hooks you want and sit back into a sweep and start ontop......... Be ready for the instant scramble (so don't release the grips till you have him in bottom side)

There's a 135kg guy at my gym who will never play guard only top game, but is terrified of starting standing (has zero stand-up, or guard) and midget wrestles every time against everyone. I've started getting a collar grip and just standing up - he can either stand-up, pull guard or get Osoto Gari'd from his knees. :icon_chee

If you want to grapple with good mma grappler, just go in any respectable mma gym.

They are usually nogi guy, fast pace, scramble, heavy pressure. No fancy things, just good base, basic subs and positions.

Yeh it was just different from what ive felt previous. As I said ive barely done anything grappling-wise out of the gi, and the times I have, were nothing like this guy. I was very impressed with him. Looks like i'll have to up my game !

I did NOT see the match so take my next thought with a grain of salt.

The fact that Roger had his back for most of the 1st round and did not finish is something, right?

I would also argue that part of grappling is your conditioning. I am hell on wheels for about 27 seconds....

Part of getting gassed typically includes you exerting or overexerting yourself against an opponent, if you have an easy opponent or can dominate a certain range you probably wont be as gassed.

On the other hand if you are well matched or over-matched you might just gas out.

An injury is one thing, your grappling cardio is another and part of the game.

Do you think roger Gracie does not know how to control his cardio while grappling? Really? His weight was too much, that's the answer in why roger gassed, not because tim Kennedy.... Although having to constantly break someonelsws grip on your gloves takes a shit ton of cardio, similar with what happens to silva This past weekend...

There's a 135kg guy at my gym who will never play guard only top game, but is terrified of starting standing (has zero stand-up, or guard) and midget wrestles every time against everyone. I've started getting a collar grip and just standing up - he can either stand-up, pull guard or get Osoto Gari'd from his knees. :icon_chee

#winning #ifyoudontknownowyouknow #sorrynotsorry

Do you think roger Gracie does not know how to control his cardio while grappling? Really? His weight was too much, that's the answer in why roger gassed, not because tim Kennedy.... Although having to constantly break someonelsws grip on your gloves takes a shit ton of cardio, similar with what happens to silva This past weekend...

Lol, Silva is notorious for gassing in his fights, nice try tho on the "gasses out do to strenuous grip fighting" idea........

my time at a fight gym where they teach mma style grappling has demonstrated a very positional dominant style of rolling. Doinate a top position so you can club them, wrestlers base on sweeps and cardio for days

Again, Kennedy had something to do with that and I DID watch the Silva fight so I can comment on that. Brown did not give up, kept fighting and ended up on top. Brown had a lot to do with how well he defended Silva and furthermore if you have the back, are getting tired (or fear yo will get tired), cannot advance to the choke as a "superior" grappler why not change position and move on to something else? Again, I would wager the opponent had something to do with it.

As an experienced grappler you probably should recognize positions that will wear you out if you miss the submission,looks like the RNC is on that list.

Back