Medical advice, might be close to a heart attack

Go to the ER, immediately. They are more than equipped and prepared to take care of you. Go!

While I think you should go to the hospital, I’ll also try to ease your mind and tell you that it sounds a lot like costochondritis, pleurisy, or something similar to that. Again though, go to the hospital man.

Aspirin STAT and a trip straight to the ER

STAT

They charge thousands of dollars just to get checked at the ER? Jezus. That's kinda pathetic, the way they shamelessly profit off what should be a basic human right.

So I have a number of medical issues including chronic pain all over my body, so typically I'm not immediately worried by severe pain. Recently I started a new job, long hours on my feet. Ten hour days.

About half way through my shift last night I started having fairly severe pain, around my sternum. It started out as more of a severe ache, but near the end of my shift it changed and began to feel more like muscle spasms. I have a relatively high pain threshold, but by the end of my shift it was all I could do just to manage the pain and still move. Pressure on the area, just a couple fingers pressing into my sternum, seemed to alleviate most of the pain.

Today the pain in my sternum is gone, but I have a dull ache in the upper right side of my chest around the breast/pec area. Some preliminary googling suggests possible coronary artery spasms, which can be a precursor to a heart attack, particularly if they last for a long time. Sounds like most coronary spasms last for up to 30 minutes, but this was for hours.

I don't have medical right now, and I'm not really sure what to do. I could go to an urgent care, but from my experience in the past they are for colds and minor injuries and aren't equipped to deal with anything serious. Getting medical will take weeks to a month, whether I go through the state or wait for my jobs medical to kick in.

As I said I'm used to having a lot of issues and just toughing it out, but it seems like I could possibly die if I do that here. Should I go to an ER? Would they be equipped to run the right tests and give me heart medication like nitroglycerin for the time being? I'm really not sure what to do here. I need money but I'm worried if I keep going back to work I could have a heart attack.
Personally, I would go to the ER if I thought it was severe enough. And I would never think twice about the bill afterwards. It's a complete scam anyways. But I'm a scumbag so take my advice with caution.

I would go to an urgent care clinic (much cheaper) and they will tell you if you need to go to the ER for higher level care.

I hope it's not what you think it might be. Go to ER if anything persists.. You matter.

Is this another LAST JEDI thread?!?!?!

If standing a lot is way different from the days you're used to, hell yes you're going to feel adverse reactions. Keep the route to the emergency handy, but for the moment try to relax if you can't currently afford a doctor visit. Look up what exacerbates heart attack conditions and don't do that. In the meantime stay calm and if it worsens seek help. Once you get insurance, check yourself out whether you feel better or not.

They still will, it's a business afterall.

My county govt provides an ambulance service , via tax dollars just like a fire dept or the police. I know this is not unheard of or THAT rare in the US

They will charge you out the ass. Can be over $1000 for a five minute ride.

My County took me and my infant daughter for a " 5 minute " ride to the hospital a few years ago when she had a febrile seizure and lost consciousness.......not a bill to be seen. Now the ER once we got there another story.

I only suggested it because they would know pretty quickly whether TS was about to dieded or not.

My County took me and my infant daughter for a " 5 minute " ride to the hospital a few years ago when she had a febrile seizure and lost consciousness.......not a bill to be seen. Now the ER once we got there another story.

I only suggested it because they would know pretty quickly whether TS was about to dieded or not.
I got ya.

Coincidentally, I have epilepsy and on multiple occasions have woken up in the E.R., with a thousand dollar cab ride on my bill. It gets really old finding yourself in the ER, and having the doctor say "you had a seizure" (no shit Sherlock), we performed a CT scan and/or MRI, and "have you been taking your meds?".
I eventually just told my friends and family that if I have a seizure, just lay me somewhere safe and don't take me to the hospital. I got tired of paying thousands of dollars to have someone tell me "you had a seizure, we don't know why. Remember to take your meds, and call your neurologist".

Last edited:
Get it checked out if you think it's that serious. I would try Urgent Care first since you don't have insurance. No, they're not the ideal place for cardiac issues, but the medical staff will most likely be able to tell you if you are indeed experiencing heart issues instead of just a possible pec strain or something muscular. That would be the most cost effective situation. Good luck, man, and keep us posted.

This @Mike. This.

Or come across the border here to Canada and go to the emergency for free and at least see what the problem is.

Thanks for advice so far. I have been billed a thousand for an ambulance before, so going to try to go in under my own power if it comes down to it. EKGs and the like can cost thousands without insurance.

Took some aspirin for the time being and the chest pain is subsiding. I have risk factors for heart disease and I'm probably fucked of thats what it is. Hoping I pulled or strained something from over exertion.

Go to the ER immediately bruh. At least in my state theres local charities that pay off medical bills if you cant afford them. Just look around and write to them and they usually take care of it. Worked for me a few years back when i was broke.

Crazy that the lack of medical insurance keeps you from getting checked out. I get it though as you don’t want to be killed with debt. “Die of a heart attack that may not happen or see a doctor and owe thousands of dollars which absolutely will happen.”

I’m not a fan of universal healthcare, but this shit pisses me off. There has to be a better way.

Yea it's beyond absurd that any first-world nation would consider this situation acceptable for anyone, ever.

Cheers Mike - depending on your medical history I'd give serious consideration to getting as much of an authentic medical assessment as you can, even if it's just from Urgent Care.

My county govt provides an ambulance service , via tax dollars just like a fire dept or the police. I know this is not unheard of or THAT rare in the US
Damn that's awesome, I would have never guessed seriously

Thanks for advice so far. I have been billed a thousand for an ambulance before, so going to try to go in under my own power if it comes down to it. EKGs and the like can cost thousands without insurance.

Took some aspirin for the time being and the chest pain is subsiding. I have risk factors for heart disease and I'm probably fucked of thats what it is. Hoping I pulled or strained something from over exertion.
Keep us updated champ

Back