Medical advice, might be close to a heart attack

Mike

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
So I have a number of medical issues including chronic pain all over my body, so typically I'm not immediately worried by severe pain. Recently I started a new job, long hours on my feet. Ten hour days.

About half way through my shift last night I started having fairly severe pain, around my sternum. It started out as more of a severe ache, but near the end of my shift it changed and began to feel more like muscle spasms. I have a relatively high pain threshold, but by the end of my shift it was all I could do just to manage the pain and still move. Pressure on the area, just a couple fingers pressing into my sternum, seemed to alleviate most of the pain.

Today the pain in my sternum is gone, but I have a dull ache in the upper right side of my chest around the breast/pec area. Some preliminary googling suggests possible coronary artery spasms, which can be a precursor to a heart attack, particularly if they last for a long time. Sounds like most coronary spasms last for up to 30 minutes, but this was for hours.

I don't have medical right now, and I'm not really sure what to do. I could go to an urgent care, but from my experience in the past they are for colds and minor injuries and aren't equipped to deal with anything serious. Getting medical will take weeks to a month, whether I go through the state or wait for my jobs medical to kick in.

As I said I'm used to having a lot of issues and just toughing it out, but it seems like I could possibly die if I do that here. Should I go to an ER? Would they be equipped to run the right tests and give me heart medication like nitroglycerin for the time being? I'm really not sure what to do here. I need money but I'm worried if I keep going back to work I could have a heart attack.

Go to the ER and you'll be seen right away especially for cardiac issues. An EKG and blood work will be done to rule out a heart attack and if necessary a cardiac cath can be done to further look into it. Get it checked out.

Shit, buddy. I'd say go see a doc asap but don't know your medical insurance situation. @Dr J you still around?

Sorry I'm of no help. Good luck.

Crazy that the lack of medical insurance keeps you from getting checked out. I get it though as you don’t want to be killed with debt. “Die of a heart attack that may not happen or see a doctor and owe thousands of dollars which absolutely will happen.”

I’m not a fan of universal healthcare, but this shit pisses me off. There has to be a better way.

Crazy that the lack of medical insurance keeps you from getting checked out. I get it though as you don’t want to be killed with debt. “Die of a heart attack that may not happen or see a doctor and owe thousands of dollars which absolutely will happen.”

I’m not a fan of universal healthcare, but this shit pisses me off. There has to be a better way.
Yeah I'm finally almost out of debt. But it's not just the money, you can't even get into anything but urgent care and the ER here without insurance or cash up front.. Urgent care can't deal with anything serious, and any ER visit is thousands of dollars. I didn't want to go without trying to figure out if they could actually do something, because they bill you either way. It sounds like I might have to go to the ER.

:( I'm sad to hear that Mike. I hope you will be ok, and hopefully its not so serious as what you think. The best thing is go to the doctor, I know about the money situation but its really all you can do, just bite the bullet and do it. Your health is more important.

It could be many things, it could be something very minor and it will go away, or it could be something more serious underlying. Best to just go to the doctor to see whats what. Good luck buddy.

Go buy a triangular wedge pillow regardless of potential toxic polyurethane fumes and sleep with head elevated to relieve blood pressure in the head.

Order compression calf sleeves from Amazon and wear them like flight attendants, also on the feet a lot, wear.

Eat dark chocolate, yogurt, bananas. Do some intermittent fasting and lose a bunch of weight.

Figure out when med students are giving free medical treatment to homeless and go sit down among them and get free medical care.

Get it checked out if you think it's that serious. I would try Urgent Care first since you don't have insurance. No, they're not the ideal place for cardiac issues, but the medical staff will most likely be able to tell you if you are indeed experiencing heart issues instead of just a possible pec strain or something muscular. That would be the most cost effective situation. Good luck, man, and keep us posted.

At the end of the day, your health should come first. Best of luck mate!

You can never be too careful with your health. Hopefully it's nothing serious, best of luck man.

325mg aspirin and head to the nearest ED if ride available. If not call 911

Urgent Care is fine for this type of thing. They can do EKGs.

Lots of things can cause this. I had it too and I turned out to be fine. I get chest pains when stressed. But you have to get it checked out because your situation could be different.

I don't know if urgent care is allowed to decline you for not having insurance but the ER is not. Just tell them your name is Bob Jones and that you're homeless. If they ask for ID say your don't have any. If they want an address give them some made up po box.

If they give you any trouble, tell them fedorgasm pays a shit ton in taxes and he said it was ok.

Last edited:
What about an ambulance if you think its that dire ? They probably won't charge you

Or save some money for emergencies?

chest pain, difficulty breathing gets you green lighted through the line at the ER.
take care of it, amigo

Go to the hospital. If there is a possibility that your life is in danger then the only thing that matters is getting assessed by medical professionals ASAP.

Back