Medal Ceremony Honoring 100-Year Old World War II Vet Disrupted By Black Protesters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay this is probably the only thing we are going to agree upon. The rest is either ignorance or dishonesty in pretending reserving words like "savages" and "monkeys" for black protesters is meant to carry no racial connotation.

This is an online forum, people say whatever they please because it's anonymous. We have video proof of how this particular protest that viewed the black guy at the ceremony. Is token a racist term?

Here's how agitation and/or civil disobedience works:

You bring your grievances to their face, literally. You let them know you're fed up with the current condition and you demand change. Disrupting "their" everyday activities is a great way to do this because they can't ignore you the way that they could if your protests were only shown on TV or if the protests were quiet and orderly.

Oh, and these folks didn't invent this tactic. It's been done everywhere in the world in democratic and even some totalitarian countries for centuries. It really seems to work.

I don't think those tactics work. The only protests I've ever been around were striking workers. Who are essentially protesting working conditions, wages etc.

If you're on the side of the road with a sign, I might look into what's going on with the strike and get educated on the issue.

If you block traffic and screw up my schedule, make me late for work I will hate you, and your cause.

Manners I think go a long way in getting people on your side.

So you're saying you don't agree with any of the Black Lives Matter movement? You encourage negativity because you want the movement to be discredited? Am I correct here?

Want it to be discredited? It's been discredited since the day it decided to stand up for a criminal.

Ok, I understand the mechanism, "bringing your grievances to their face", but isn't the ultimate goal of the protesters to gain sympathetic supporters from a more powerful, influential,richer or whatever group of people?

Or not the ultimate goal I guess, that's the actual addressing of the grievance, but the next necessary step would be to gain the sympathetic supporters who have more sway, or who at least compound your sway.

Seems like a terrible way to go about it.

There are lots of goals. For this movement, "gaining sympathy" probably takes a backseat to a change in institutional policy. In other words, they're more interested in the police changing their practices, stopping their aggression, stopping their racial profiling and stopping their violence.

But they do eventually gain sympathy once the dust settles. Most people are reasonable and they recognize injustice when they see it. Absolutely ANY rights movement that uses jarring tactics which shock the general public eventually sees acceptance.

I mean, I'm sure lots of people criticized gays for having their eccentric, over-the-top parades when they were trying to gain minimal rights. You can't be prancing around in assless chaps if you want to be taken seriously!

But here we are 2014 in a far more gay-friendly world than, say, 30 years ago.

Okay this is probably the only thing we are going to agree upon. The rest is either ignorance or dishonesty in pretending reserving words like "savages" and "monkeys" for black protesters is meant to carry no racial connotation.

I didn't say monkey's was acceptable. We can agree on that as well.

It's not ignorance or dishonest. I have no idea where you are from but I'm not American. People all around the world use different words for different things. Considering this is a global forum, American

This is an online forum, people say whatever they please because it's anonymous. We have video proof of how this particular protest that viewed the black guy at the ceremony. Is token a racist term?

Um, not trying to play dumb but I genuinely am unsure of what you are asking. Particularly the sentence:

"We have video proof of how this particular protest that viewed the black guy at the ceremony."

And I'm not sure how the question "Is token a racist term?" ties into your previous sentences or anything I am arguing. Can you perhaps rephrase this post?

I didn't say monkey's was acceptable. We can agree on that as well.

It's not ignorance or dishonest. I have no idea where you are from but I'm not American. People all around the world use different words for different things. Considering this is a global forum, American

Um, not trying to play dumb but I genuinely am unsure of what you are asking. Particularly the sentence:

"We have video proof of how this particular protest that viewed the black guy at the ceremony."

And I'm not sure how the question "Is token a racist term?" ties into your previous sentences or anything I am arguing. Can you perhaps rephrase this post?

Is token a racist term. That was the only question in that post.

There are lots of goals. For this movement, "gaining sympathy" probably takes a backseat to a change in institutional policy. In other words, they're more interested in the police changing their practices, stopping their aggression, stopping their racial profiling and stopping their violence.

But they do eventually gain sympathy once the dust settles. Most people are reasonable and they recognize injustice when they see it. Absolutely ANY rights movement that uses jarring tactics which shock the general public eventually sees acceptance.

I mean, I'm sure lots of people criticized gays for having their eccentric, over-the-top parades when they were trying to gain minimal rights. You can't be prancing around in assless chaps if you want to be taken seriously!

But here we are 2014 in a far more gay-friendly world than, say, 30 years ago.

Ya I suppose.

When I said "gaining sympathy" I meant as a necessary step towards the ultimate goal, police officers changing their behavior, through legislation or changes in procedure or whatever else, not as like a sub goal, or secondary goal.

I guess I was under the impression that in order for the movement to yield results, they needed to convince more people, and possibly different kinds of people, to support their cause.

I saw the restaurant protests as an attempt at that step, gaining supporters, not as an attempt at the ultimate goal, changing the institutional policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back