Mechanics of this arm drag

jiujitzurero

White Belt
Reaction score
Check out this video of Marcelo's trademark arm drag to take the back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIqdpT1u4gc&feature=related

For those who have experienced trying/drilling the technique:

When he scoots his hip to drag the arm down does this work on bigger heavy/strong guys?
What are the important mechanics involved during the 'scooting' phase to make sure i pull off the arm drag correctly? (should i force my body weight by doing a small "bump" from the ground and dropping to really get the arm down? etc.)

i think as long as you've pulled the arm to the side, this should give you enough momentum to propell yourself forwards without any extra bumps. but then i dunno, i dont use this as much as i should

I think that arm dragging will work on any size opponent. The problem that I have these days is people re-dragging

I think that arm dragging will work on any size opponent. The problem that I have these days is people re-dragging

That's exactly what Diego did against Marcelo in ADCC, almost got his back, I guess you just have to be quick about it. I don't think this would be a problem in Gi though.

It works fine against bigger guys. See Marcelo vs Ricco or Gonzaga for examples.

Thanks. So just to clarify, what exactly does he use to create momentum/leverage to pull the arm down when scooting sideways? Hips, bodyweight(since during the first part he "bumps" up and lands sideways) or both?

One thing I've noticed is how he positions his feet when performing the arm drag.

If he is using his right arm to drag you, he lays the oustide of his right leg to the mat, between your legs, and the inside of his left leg to the mat, a Z pattern. This allows you to come around your opponent and come up to your feet very quickly.

If your turn your feet the other way you can't use your momentum and make it even easier for someone to re-drag. The same is true if your feet are pointing upwards.

Also, as soon as he drags he uses his head to put pressure behind his opponents shoulder. This also helps to keep your opponent from re-dragging and is very important.

Last thing for an arm drag is to use your weight and momentum. Use your whole body to put pressure on the arm you're dragging. You can almost leave your feet when you do it. And of course, head behind the shoulder driving and feet in a Z pattern.

Just some of my thoughts and observations.

One thing I've noticed is how he positions his feet when performing the arm drag.

If he is using his right arm to drag you, he lays the oustide of his right leg to the mat, between your legs, and the inside of his left leg to the mat, a Z pattern. This allows you to come around your opponent and come up to your feet very quickly.

If your turn your feet the other way you can't use your momentum and make it even easier for someone to re-drag. The same is true if your feet are pointing upwards.

Also, as soon as he drags he uses his head to put pressure behind his opponents shoulder. This also helps to keep your opponent from re-dragging and is very important.

Last thing for an arm drag is to use your weight and momentum. Use your whole body to put pressure on the arm you're dragging. You can almost leave your feet when you do it. And of course, head behind the shoulder driving and feet in a Z pattern.

Just some of my thoughts and observations.

Great analysis. Thanks!

Back