Measuring distances without a car: how?

RredRrover

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've changed up my program as of late, abandoning low rep high weight lifts in favor of sprints and interval training. I'm doing this because I want to enlist, and part of the minimum requirement is a Level 10 on the Beep Test.

I also jog, but want to measure out distance as a means of recording progress. So far I've been using MapQuest but obviously there's a better way of doing this.

Nike+ ipod kit is great for this. Only downside is you need a nano to use it!

Its what I do

:icon_chee

Couldn't you find a route to run and then run it and continually reduce the time taken?

That's what I'm doing.

My current route (1.45 miles by the site) takes me about 16 minutes give or take. I carry extra weight at the moment and am working on this. If I can get it down to ten I'll have reached my goal and will face the beep test without fear.

That's what I'm doing.

My current route (1.45 miles by the site) takes me about 16 minutes give or take. I carry extra weight at the moment and am working on this. If I can get it down to ten I'll have reached my goal and will face the beep test without fear.

You'd get maybe 10.0

Get it down to 9 min, stop being lazy (thats only a 6 min mile, 10 mph)

I was doing my run route and adding more onto it. First time couldn't complete it without 5 stops at a slowish pace. Then I worked on reducing the no. of rests. Then when I can do it in one go I increase the speed and do it over again. When i get the whole thing to a decent speed without and stops, I increase the distance and do the whole thing again.

Turns out my inital run was 3 miles and by the time I began measuring the total run was above 5 miles, probably 6 (although I was killing myself for the first 3 and going at a run for the last 2)

I use google earth to work out distances, use the path function.

google maps like Mattt said is what I use...

as for a GPS, buying one just to figure out how far you're running...
there are many, many better ways to spend your money on gear.
: P

Nike+ ipod kit is great for this. Only downside is you need a nano to use it!

I didn't know it measured distance.

There are a few timex watches designed for runners to track speed, distance etc. but i do agree not the best use of money

Most likely, your county has a GIS map system that shows the entire map of your county. It will have the map with overhead shots much like google earth. The sidebar usually has a measure distance area. If you run a square, it can easily measure that as well.

Back