Means vs Oliver a No contest... Was he actually a downed opponent?

STARKNASTY

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
In my mind Cowboy Oliver just got TKO'd. Were the kneeslegal or illegal?

Legal. Dan Mirgliotta already fucking up in the first fight

leg, leg, knee - that is 3 points to me...doesn't have to be leg, leg, hand

His knee was down, and that rule is not being changed. This is fucking terrible both from the NSAC and the UFC's commentary.

He was grounded

GROUNDED FIGHTERS

A third rule change is to the definition of a grounded fighter. A fighter used to be grounded when anything other than the soles of their feet touched the canvas; a knee, a hand, a finger. Since a fighter can't be legally kicked in the head when grounded, this resulted in many "playing the game," putting a finger or two on the canvas to keep a knee from flying at their face.

The new definition is a slight tweak. Essentially the old definition still applies with an exception that for a hand to make a fighter grounded, both palms, both fists, or a palm and a fist must be touching the canvas.

As McCarthy described it, fighters are going to get kicked and hit. They're doing it now. It's dangerous for fighters to think they can play the game. "We want them to stop playing that game," McCarthy said.

Hinds said the MMA rules committee took feedback from fighters. In trial runs, when fighters got into positions where they might be grounded, "It was unbelievable."

The argument was that fighters quickly realized that having both palms on the canvas isn't good for their face and adjusted. MMA official Dan Miragliotta described the new rule as making his job "a lot easier and the fighters safer."

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/8/3...boxing-commissions-amends-mma-s-unified-rules

Maybe two feet + knee counts as 3 point touching the floor. Who knows...

Right, I though a downed opponent was three point of contact... Not one knee...

Looks to me like at least 1 of them is literally just the foot and knee on one side though

So if a person is on their knee then the toes and knee of one leg count as two? GTFO

Cowboy just got wrecked and is lucky the ref is a giant meatball

They aren't changing the knee to the ground rule. They're just getting rid of the three point stance rule. Rogan is really fucking embarrassing himself.

Im so confused. Ive been watching mma for 10 years and I thought that one knee down has always meant you are grounded. I wish Means got the victory but I think Dan got it right.

I thought it was legal. Nice acting job by olivera between this and the brooks fight I can't stand that guy

So if a person is on their knee then the toes and knee of one leg count as two? GTFO

Cowboy just got wrecked and is lucky the ref is a giant meatball

He wasn't lucky at all. That should be a DQ win for Cowboy. His knee was down.

knee, foot, foot, one of the knees was only knee, foot

Foot was off the ground when both knees were thrown, from what I saw on the replay. A foot and a knee is at best 2 points of contact.

I don't even know why this is controversial. I thought anything other than your feet on the ground = grounded opponent. WTF?

Back