Meal Replacement Bars

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by MetaHuman, Mar 20, 2008.

1. MetaHuman

MetaHuman uəɯ,ōōʎɥ•ɐʇǝɯ

Okay, first of all, I organize my life in such a way that allows me to consume whole foods during virtually every feeding session. But when an emergent situation arises that requires deviation from the norm, I have been known to grab a bar for a quick fix. Normally, said bar would be in the form of a Greens+ Protein Bar.

Thankfully, I've never been a MuscleTech customer. And thanks to the sentiment expressed in this forum about the company's product quality and off-putting business practices, well... you get the picture.

But I'm interested in your guys' thoughts about their line of Nitro-Tech bars. Some guys I know who aren't fans of Iovate (for the same reasons expressed in this forum) still choose to purchase these sticks of questionable nutrition. What are your thoughts on the line's quality and such?

2. Vedic

Vedic Purple Belt

Not a fan of bars in general. I find that keeping extra chicken breast in the fridge works just as well. Handful of almonds or olives etc.

3. Ziltoid

Ziltoid In search for the Ultimate cup of Coffee

I myself am not really into bars so I woudnt know. I have heard good things about MuscleMilk bars but I never tried it. Oh...speaking of MM, they now have 2 more flavors I want to try. Cake batter and Chocolate Brownie. I also keep almonds or mixed nuts cans in my car and in my house for quick snacking.

How much are those bars? Most of them are pretty pricey...I think thats what turns me off the most.

4. MetaHuman

MetaHuman uəɯ,ōōʎɥ•ɐʇǝɯ

Believe me, I'm all about pre-prepared whole foods. But what I'm referring to here is when I have to go to a meeting that was scheduled at the last minute (literally... I get the request in Outlook and I have to be at the meeting in five minutes). I can't show up to something like that with a container full of buffalo and veggies.

And although I love almonds, a handful of them wouldn't be sufficient for my purposes.

I believe they're $2.99 per... same as the Greens+ bars I buy. As for Greens+, I buy them by the case from Whole Foods (WF gives you a discount if you do). Since I don't eat bars often, I've been working on the same case now for months. Gotta get chompin', though, 'cause I think they're going to expire soon.

5. Centaur

Centaur Black Belt

6. TheGrappler25

TheGrappler25 White Belt

clif bars, greens plus bars.

7. MetaHuman

MetaHuman uəɯ,ōōʎɥ•ɐʇǝɯ

Yeah, I hear you about MuscleTech... that's why I'm hesitant to even give one of their bars a try.

Thanks for the info about the Daryl bars, though. From an ingredient standpoint, looks fairly solid (not paleo friendly, though... huh, Mike?... good thing I haven't gone down the paleo route yet). I might place an order tomorrow morning.

8. Andy Rickert

Andy Rickert Amateur Fighter

although not too helpful, I was fortunate enough to try one of Chef Jay's Peanut Butter and Jelly bars at the Arnold expo, and it was the best nutritional thing Iv ever had.

9. Jumpman24

Jumpman24 Black Belt

Chef Jay's Tri-O-Plex bars are protein bars made with complex carbs and rolled with oatmeal. They taste pretty good too. High in calories though, around 450.

I also like the Met-Rx Chocolate chunk bar.

10. VeganMike

VeganMike White Belt

being vegan, I'm in love with Clif Builder's Bars. Something like 270 calories and 20g of protein. If you pick some up, I'd say go with the peanut butter flavor. It tastes like a candy bar.

11. andrewbc

andrewbc Purple Belt

ISS oh yeah! bars ftw

12. physicaltherapy

physicaltherapy Blue Belt

Clif bars are soy based :icon_sad:. I used to love to eat them until I realized I was becoming more sensitive.

http://www.clifbar.com/food/products_builders/

13. VeganMike

VeganMike White Belt

yeah... I still eat some though if I'm having a hard time getting protein otherwise.

14. jewjitsu92

jewjitsu92 Orange Belt

Avoid Meal Replacement Bars. They Are Not Good For You!!!

15. Striker22 redo

Striker22 redo Silver Belt

I eat Zone bars Chocolate Graham fudge. 15g's of Protein and some carbs. Main reason: It tastes good and doesnt give you the shits. Anything over 20 g's of protein is really hard to digest and usually tastes horrible. for me anyway