Reaction score
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=12XRCFL8 High Quality MPEG

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=19X16QOT Low Quality WMV

My Names Nathan Russell-Straight

Im a 180 lb. Brown belt

i went up to the 220+ lb Black Belt Division

so i decided to go for a crazy ol move and see if it worked

It was Oct. 16th 2005 At the Fresno Judo Invitational

Im the guy with the black hair and eyeliner (Yes, eyeliner)

I was 16 at the time

17 now and it was the Adult division just to throw a little extra Info

There was alot of controversy over the move by the way

That style of flying armbar is really rare
instead of the usual dropping armbar
ya know?

so it was just a weird thing

about the move: I never ever ever ever practiced this before i tried it in the tournament
haha now i like drilling it

They are now banned in the Fresno Region In many tournaments (like the last i went to)

Nice finish :) Like I said before, ballsy move to try in competition..

SWEET! Good job! Mind if I share that via Google Video (which is easier to share videos with)? I gotta show a few judoka I know.. :D How do you practice something like that?!? I sooo got to learn to do flying armbars and cartwheel passes... I'm not flashy enough. :(

P.S. Why were you wearing eyeliner? :confused:

Was that an Ippon or a submission? I am not an expert in Judo so I don't know.

I Train with Five Cities Judo

Its in the Central Coast about 2 miles from The Pit
If youre in the area ever and want to train
feel free to PM me or something and you can come train with us
My instructor LOVES new people to come in
you dont even need to worry about costs or anything

It was a Submission you can slightly see him tap

I just practice with one of my instructors cuz he can practically curl me
and just jump into it and repeat

and feel free to upload it!

My Instructors are Greg Rubio and Jody Dowell (Former UCSB Instructor) BTW

My instructor/team mate is actually coming out to Cali this week to train with Anne Marie Rowsey.

That was a nice armbar though.

Whats his name???

Anna Marie (isnt her last name DeMars or something) just picked me for the team tournament at my last tournament

WTF@ the eyeliner. Anyways awesome armbar.

I liked that. The black belt will always have that in the back of his mind from this day foward: the 17 year old brown belt who caught him with a flying armbar. Nice.

Where did you go right after the ref called "ippon?" That was hilarious. You just took off. LOL.

Clarify the flying armbar for me. It's alright if you take the guy to the ground FIRST and then apply the armbar, correct? I've always been iffy about the flying armbar because it's absolutely nowhere in my "aresenal" of techniques. What's the specific rule?

BTW, eyeliner = chick magnet (at least when I was in college).

Bubble Boy said:
I liked that. The black belt will always have that in the back of his mind from this day foward: the 17 year old brown belt who caught him with a flying armbar. Nice.

Where did you go right after the ref called "ippon?" That was hilarious. You just took off. LOL.

Clarify the flying armbar for me. It's alright if you take the guy to the ground FIRST and then apply the armbar, correct? I've always been iffy about the flying armbar because it's absolutely nowhere in my "aresenal" of techniques. What's the specific rule?

BTW, eyeliner = chick magnet (at least when I was in college).

Yep
with Eyeliner to boot haha

well anyways i took off to go show off i guess to some people in the audience i knew
(i always try to put on a show and be noticed i dont know why (probably cuz i hate boring matches)) See im not sure about the flying armbar myself
i know you can drop into it
and standing armbars are legal in black belt so i dunno

there banned in most fresno area tournaments now so eh

im gonna try to throw one or 2 at the SJB tourney

Yay for Eyeliner!!!! picks up chicks like crazy

The Assassin said:
See im not sure about the flying armbar myself
i know you can drop into it
and standing armbars are legal in black belt so i dunno

there banned in most fresno area tournaments now so eh

im gonna try to throw one or 2 at the SJB tourney

Yay for Eyeliner!!!! picks up chicks like crazy

I think the rules for standing armbars are for like Waki Gatame and the such, not for the standard armbar (juji gatame), but I'm not sure. We need Judgido to stop by and straighten us out. I'm pretty sure, but not 100%, that you can do the armbar you did, well, exactly like you did it: you take them down first, THEN sink the arm bar. I think if the guy didn't go down, but remained standing, AND you were still going for the armbar, that's illegal and you'd be disqualified. But continuing through as you did, it's ok.

Yay for eyeliner!!!! Yay for being a non-conformist!!!!

Hell yea
fuck Buzzcuts

yeah its something like that with the armbar then again ive seen it done in the world games

Ref should have called matte before the tap.

The armbar has to be instantly effective and it was not. It was a standing armbar (and it stays "standing" until both peoples knees are on the mat) and it needs to have immediate effect. You jumped, landed and he still had not tapped. It should have been stopped.

Bro you sure you weight 180?? You look like you could tip 200+. And that flying armbar was wicked regardless of wether it was legal. That black belt got pwned by a 17 year old emo looking dude. That's PWNAGE.

Emopwnage. Who would've thunk.

Darkslide, are you sure you can't transition into the armbar like he did?
I thought it was illegal to NOT take the opponent to the ground.
I searched IJF but couldn't find any hard facts.
Still looking...

Bubble Boy said:
Emopwnage. Who would've thunk.

Darkslide, are you sure you can't transition into the armbar like he did?
I thought it was illegal to NOT take the opponent to the ground.
I searched IJF but couldn't find any hard facts.
Still looking...

If he was on the ground, then yes. Unfortunately a flying armbar is an attempt at a standing armbar, which must be effective immediately.

It is still considered standing until both people are down to at least their knees. You can see clearly that he hits the mat at 10 seconds... at this point he was attacking with a flying armbar from a standing position and there was no tap. You can see that there is an amount of time where there is a transition between standing and groundwork and during this time there is no tap. Since the attack started standing and there was not an instant submission, it should have been stopped.

Edit: I think you are pretty clear on the rules, just not how they are applied. Although you can't throw out of an armbar... which is why flying armbars are so sketchy, because it's pretty close.

Back