MCL Tear...how long were you out?

Newcastle

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Well I tore my MCL a little over 2 weeks ago. First bad injury I've had in my 2.5 years of BJJ. If you had a similar injury how long were you out for? How long before you could get back to drilling light? I'm doing what I can with scaled down CrossFit workout that don't require lateral movements to stay in shape.

I tore one 7 years ago snow boarding. I had physical therapy and a giant brace. I was just outside of having to have surgery. I was laid up for 2 months with zero activity then 1 month with swimming. Then the fourth month I was running

I had a mild tear on the other knee when I was 12 from soccer, and that just had a few months with a brace. But that one still gives me problems to this day...

It's a stage 2 tear and I really hope to be back on the mat sooner than that!

Well, the good news is it's MCL, not ACL.

I had the mild grade tear (1?) a couple of years ago. I was out three weeks and slowly worked back in.

Well, the good news is it's MCL, not ACL.

I had the mild grade tear (1?) a couple of years ago. I was out three weeks and slowly worked back in.

really? I've torn the ACL in both knees and the MCL in my right. By far the MCL was worse.

To the OP....I had a 2 degree tear as well. The good news is you can walk and run relatively quickly. The bad news is you can't turn or tweak it for a long time...... a long long time.

I tore mine about 20 years ago. I would say it was easily a year before I was at least 95%.....maybe another year before I was 100%.

i tore my mcl with a stage 2 i would say it took about 12 weeks to get back to drilling lightly and maybe about 6 months to start feeling 80 percent. its a long process man and really do as much PT as you can and take it seriously.

I tore mines 6 weeks ago, stage 2 as well. I believe im around 70% right now, with phy therapy 2x a week and faithfully taking Glucosamine MSM Condrotine 2x a day. I did a full judo class last week, I teach/learn in the kids class, and I rolled very lightly yesterday, main thing I couldn't do was mount; I had to play guard or side control. I'm hoping another 3 weeks of phy therapy will have me around 85%. :D

stage 1 tear for me. was out for 6-7 weeks, first 3-4 was on crutches with brace.

I tore my lcl, patella, and mcl 11 months ago and I am still not 100% because I started rolling to early (about 3 months after the injury). I am about 80% now and I roll 3 days and workout 5 days a week now. Bottom line, listen to your body and your doctor/PT!!! Don't start back to early or it will just tack that much more time onto your overall recovery. Don't be stubborn and try to get back in there to early. If you want to go to class to practice techinique in a month or 2 that should be fine, but I wouldn't roll live for at least 4 to 6 months depending on how your body feels. Also, don't get discouraged when you go back to class and you're not at the same level as when you got hurt. Your timing is going to be off and your sweeps, subs, and passes won't be as "sneaky". I struggled to get my timing, transitions from sub to sub and sweep to sweep, and my setups back when I started training again. Good luck to you and I wish you the best.

Thanks for all the replies guys. In my 2.5 years of training, I've never taken off more than a week so it's quite a mental struggle. I'm an assistant instructor at my gym as well so that isn't helping either. I'm being really careful with it so far and going to try and teach on a very limited basis and see how things feel.

Back