McGregor's speed

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Balthasar, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Balthasar

Balthasar Green Belt

He's fast, but not lightning speed it seems to me. And a lot of his speed comes from his technique rather than his physical ability. His movements are fluid and have no kinks in them. His stance also allows him to lunge in fast with his initial strike. So I think Aldo is physically faster eventhough that might not look like it if they fought because of McGregor's technique. How do you guys think his speed compares to the rest of the division?

Judging from his training footage he might train too slow. With that personal trainer I saw him mostly do bodybuilding type work-outs, which to me seems counterproductive in terms of speed and power.

It's rare to see fighters training for speed anyway when looking at their training footage on UFC Countdown, 24/7, fightcamp 360 and such. You do see them often training for endurance, strength and power etc. but not really for speed. Maybe most of their speed comes from bagwork and sparring. It seems to me there's room for improvement since I think you can increase your speed with training and you can also decrease your speed with training.

2. PivotPunch

PivotPunch Red Belt

Aldo is faster McGregor isn't slwo but not super fast and Aldo si faster than 99% of all UFC fighters so yeah he's faster.

Speed is mostly genetic you can only train it a little bit those who are really fast are fast naturally Connor could do everything and wouldn't be as fast as Aldo

3. Balthasar

Balthasar Green Belt

A lot of people talk as if he is the fastest in the division, though. And McGregor also called himself the fastest if I remember correctly. Which may be true in general, but Aldo's low kicks, right straight and both his hooks I think are faster than McGregor's.

4. MagnusGOAT

MagnusGOAT Make America Great Britain again.

McGregor is deceptively fast due to superior movement, Aldo is physically faster due to superior genetics.

Although it impresses me how fast and effortlessly Conor throws his straight left.

5. DyinHawaiian

DyinHawaiian #FEELTHEBERN

Where you at Georges? Where you at motherfucker?!
    Fluidity and movement > speed

6. PivotPunch

PivotPunch Red Belt

McGregor also calls himself the greatest and he's far from that. Also is much faster than McGregor all of his movements are faster than McGregor's.
    Connor has good as in above average speed while Aldo is probably the fastest FW there is and maybe the fastest fighter in general beside even just MAYBE Cruz and beside Mighty Mouse and Dodson.
    Mcgregor isn't close to being as fast as Aldo is if Mcgregor said he hits harder than Hunt or is a better kicker than Pettis would you believe him?

7. jmd69

jmd69 Brown Belt

Aldo is faster me thinks but let's see how McGregor develops as he climbs towards Aldo and how he would manage Aldo's speed.

8. MMun

MMun Black Belt

I don't know what you specifically mean by bodybuilding-style training, but being strong relative to your body weight is a vital part of speed. There have been studies showing how Olympic weightlifters are faster than sprinters for the first 30 meters.

9. PowermmA

PowermmA Purple Belt

I am a big conor fan. But aldo is faster, its not hard to tell. Just rewatch aldo vs mendes II. Aldo is lightning.

10. DyinHawaiian

DyinHawaiian #FEELTHEBERN

Where you at Georges? Where you at motherfucker?!
    Speed doesn't matter. Everyone Aldo has fought has tried to match his speed and lost. They get drawn into Aldo's speed game, get outstruck and get hurt.

It will never be a speedy guy like Edgar or Mendes who will take the belt from Aldo, it will be a powerful but fluid striker like Conor.

11. Johntreksmith

Johntreksmith Purple Belt

Two very different styles Aldo vs Mcgregor

Aldo is a very confined muay thai style. Built for efficient kicks and up close boxing
    Mcgregor is very fluid and loose with a combination of ku fung (no joke), old school boxing and that brazilian dance fighting style.
    Connor is all about angles. Aldo is all about efficiency.

Pure speed at 145 its Mcgregor. Aldo has bulked up to help with wrasslin. He's lost some speed to train for power.

At 155 aldo would be the fastest by far.

12. Balthasar

Balthasar Green Belt

I was referring to footage of him training with a personal trainer in Dublin. I can't find it back but I remember him doing push-ups and pull-ups too slow. Olympic weightlifting is quite a bit different from bodybuilding.

This isn't completely true and exagerated, but:
    Bodybuilders: strength endurance/muscle endurance
    Powerlifters (the name "powerlifters" I think actually comes from the mentality these lifters portrayed in the 70's): strength
    Olympic weightlifters: power

Yeah, I also think a lot of people overrate speed (mostly in boxing). As I said in my original post, I think because of movement technique Conor might be able to beat Aldo to the punch. But you don't need to be faster than your opponent to win a fight. Reflex, timing, strategy come in to play, as well as everything else, I guess.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  13. SingaPlata

SingaPlata Yellow Belt

Sometimes there is this illusion of speed when the proper technique is applied cos it makes the opponent seem too slow

Like AS, he's fast but not the fastest. His impeccable rhythm and timing is what sets him apart.

Conor has it. First round ko/tko

14. brisko21

brisko21 Blue Belt

Conor has flat feet, poor head movement, and keeps his hands too low. It will show when he fights Aldo.

15. FictionIsReal

FictionIsReal Blue Belt

Complete bull, bolt does zero Olympic lifting. It's all genetics.

16. Sjb1888

Sjb1888 Silver Belt

Yeah I'd say Aldo has faster reflexes, but Conor covers distance better and has the heavier hands by a distance.

Can't see Aldo being able to take the type of shots he took in the Mendes fight from Conor, he just hits to hard.

I'm quite sure when they fight Aldo will go far a takedown within the first minute.

17. machidafan99

machidafan99 Silver Belt

The lunging is very risky against a great Muay Thai fighter. They can and will eventually time the lunge. See Shogun/Machida. I suspect Aldo will catch him in a harsh fashion.

18. aus101

aus101 Black Belt

Speed comes from being relaxed, loose and knowing the movement (technique) as well as ones inherent explosiveness (muscle fibre ratio). Training explosiveness through the Olympic lifts probably does help with "speed", yet this type of training can be hard to recover from and Connors trainers might want his explosiveness to be trained using the actual striking moves he will be performing in the cage instead of the hard to recover from (and quite technical to learn and perform) Olympic lifts. Strength and strength endurance, (so that his opponents cannot rag doll him to the ground and force a grappling match in general) is likely a high priority, and performing push ups (strength endurance) and chin ups (strength) "slowly" is unlikely to negatively affect his speed in the octagon.

19. BearGrounds

BearGrounds A great many scalps.

On the frontier, west of the Hudson river.
    Master of movement.

Lol @ TS not knowing who he was critiquing.

20. Balthasar

Balthasar Green Belt

I also don't believe olympic lifters are faster than sprinters in the first 30 meters, maybe amateur sprinters yeah.

Speed comes from more than that. A lot of it has to do with neurology, which is trainable. As far as I'm aware GSP is/was the only fighter that actively trained to relax and break up his movements. Seems pretty sad.

And I don't think olympic lifts would necessarily help with speed in this case, or maybe just to a certain level and/or in certain situations. And even if it would help it would also inhibit him from doing his other training and it would be better if he'd just train speed directly instead of indirectly through powertraining which I also think could be too hard on the body.