Mcgregor's legacy and longevity

ajw204

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Personally I am not a fan of McGregor. He talks to much for my taste, but I can also see his appeal. I can also respect his willingness to fight whoever the UFC puts in front of him, even if the opponents aren't in his weight class. And when it's time to fight, he brings it every single time.

Despite this, I can't help but feel that a lot of this is happening too fast, and he is in way over his head. In MMA history, there have only been a few long term reigning champions: Fedor, Anderson, GSP, and Aldo. You could count Dominick Cruz as well, but he's been hurt for too long in my opinion. Connor claims that he is going to continue to defend the 145 belt, but seeing how emaciated he was the last time he fought at that weight, along with the fact that he's putting on more muscle to fight heavier, I honestly don't see this happening. I also see him being stuck in a rock and a hard place. Given that Mendes gave him a ton of problems with his wrestling, I don't see how bigger, stronger wrestlers at 155 wouldn't do the same. RDA, Khabib, Benson if he ever made his way back, Alvarez, and Gilbert I could see ending his short reign very quickly. I would also give Pettis the edge over him as well.

He's accomplished a LOT in a very short time, but I can't help but feel that this will come to an abrupt halt within his next few fights.

No reason to talk about legacy before a guy defends his belt.

Back