McGregor's future

the money has almost nothing to do with his fall nor do the drugs. conor was high on the false mysticism of "the secret". he believed he had found a way to harness mystical powers through the process of belief and visualization. he really believed it and that is why he was so confident. when he started losing the disillusionment set in and he will never ever recover from this fall.

he will never feel the same again.

I'm not sure he needs to dump Kav.

How did GSP do it?

GSP is a successful model for improving your game throughout your career.

Is Kav really as good as Firas or we could credit Connor's initial run to his raw talent?

Are there any other good products coming from Kav's gym except for McGregor?

The competition evolved and Conor has to as well to stay afloat. TJ was smart in that regard I think.

Is Kav really as good as Firas or we could credit Connor's initial run to his raw talent?

The competition evolved and Conor has to as well to stay afloat. TJ was smart in that regard I think.
Not even close, and GSP had several other coaches beyond Firas

Yeah, I agree, most of the downfalls in his career come from his ego, he'll probably end up taking too many losses. It'll be tough for him to come to grips with the fact his run is already over, a lot of these guys convince themselves they're gonna be the best-case scenario like Jan or DC and be really good in your late 30's, for him it probably feels like his whole career happened so quick.

I think he'll get along with the UFC as long as he keeps selling the PPVs he sells
He'd really have to pull a miracle out of his ass to become champ and defend. Especially if he loses his next fight.
The 2 divisions he's competed in are FW and LW(don't really count WW since he's never fought a well established WW) and they are both stacked to the max. Those divisions are a young mans game.

Either way I think the dude is a legend of the sport and lost some potential at FW, imo I don't think he would've been able to beat many top LW fighters before losing the belt if he stayed active after 2016.

Yeah the UFC probably don't give a shit as he fights for them. They did let Conor get away with basically assaulting multiple top fighters and an official, so he'll be in the UFC until his contract is up.

I'm not sure why Kav couldn't humble himself and learn from other coaches as well.

The only real deterrent I see in this sport is not being able to afford to pay everyone.

If Conor can afford to pay everyone then working with new coaches is a net gain for his current coaches as well.

Unless Kav is of the mindset that he knows all there is to know. It's not 1993 anymore so I'm not sure who really thinks like that.

It seems like the limiter is splitting the pot and in the case of most fighters the pot being too small. Conor isn't other fighters though.

I'm not sure he needs to dump Kav.

How did GSP do it?

GSP is a successful model for improving your game throughout your career.
GSP didn't limit his training at all. He traveled the world to train. GSP had no problem going to other gyms and trying different martial arts. In GSP's interview about his 1st million, he spent the most amount on his training and traveling expenses for his training.

I’d like to see conor with a legit camp that has no yes-men. So much talent wasted

Next month is make or break for him. Not in terms of a career, but being this legendary figure.

He’ll sell a ticket for a few years yet.

GSP didn't limit his training at all. He traveled the world to train. GSP had no problem going to other gyms and trying different martial arts. In GSP's interview about his 1st million, he spent the most amount on his training and traveling expenses for his training.
well that seems like the way to do it then.

Conor is done. Drugs did to him what drugs do. Made him weak and deluded. There is no coming back fo Connor. He had a good career and now is on a downhill to hell.

It's already too late, he's not turning back the clock.

Doesn't mean he can't win a fight or two with a haymaker, but he hasn't been elite at LW since 2016.

All things considered, I'd argue he dodged a few bullets and maximized his potential in terms of in cage success. The RDA fight got cancelled and looking back that was probably a blessing in disguise, he got subbed by Diaz but atleast there was the welterweight excuse. He ran it back like a champ and got the hard fought win, then came back and starched one of the best LW's in the world (alverez).

The fact he got an instant title shot at LW and took advantage was huge for his career. He had a good run but ultimately he fell off due to ego and lack of discipline, post Aldo he really lost his mind. Once the "El Chapo" stuff started, that was the beginning of the end.

He's a skilled semi-versatile striker with good power and good speed, in addition to decent grappling both offensively and defensively and a previous really sturdy chin. Good fight iq and a good understanding of cage control, but he was never going to age well in this sport. This is just the natural way of things.

So to sum things up, his future is back to back losses for the first time in his career, potentially retirement or some rough losses on the way down. With some good moments and big events along the way.
Elite at lightweight? You mean his one fight?

From now on,
it's just Downhill for Corner McCorn!
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

The RDA fight got cancelled and looking back that was probably a blessing in disguise
No, it was hardly a blessing. Diaz fights, specifically, the 2nd took years of Conor's career

He used to be shredded, he started going downhill after he fought at 170 against Diaz

Got too bulked up

The majority of his fight experience is KOing 145ers in the 1st or 2nd round, at 155 he can't KO people as easily, and he struggles badly after like 1 1/2 rounds

He should've stayed active the past few years also, now he's playing catch up with an older, slower body than he once had
It's funny how he used to talk about all the 55ers and 170 guys as being "stuck in the mud." Now with his boxing heavy approach to MMA, he fights as stuck in th mud. He needs to adapt his bounce in and out approach for this fight, play from range and do what he does best, counter. I honestly think if he loses this one, he's done <Fedor23>

If he loses to Dustin again in a brutal stoppage he's pretty much done. I guess he could fight journeymen but people aren't going to pay top $$$ for that.

I’d like to see conor with a legit camp that has no yes-men. So much talent wasted
He doesn’t want that. He wants to be worshipped and that’s difficult to maintain when you’re trying to improve yourself, so now he’s a Twitter fighter.

It's funny how he used to talk about all the 55ers and 170 guys as being "stuck in the mud." Now with his boxing heavy approach to MMA, he fights as stuck in th mud. He needs to adapt his bounce in and out approach for this fight, play from range and do what he does best, counter. I honestly think if he loses this one, he's done <Fedor23>
I can't believe I hadn't thought of that haha, exactly, he was right back then, now he's become older, bigger, and slower

I think it's gonna be tough for him to get that style back, but I hope he can figure it out

If he loses to Dustin again in a brutal stoppage he's pretty much done. I guess he could fight journeymen but people aren't going to pay top $$$ for that.
I think people will pay for him against Diaz, the mainstream media thought that was like the greatest MMA fight ever when it happened, so I think casuals will buy that. And maybe if Conor has a good performance he'll be able to sell the next one, but past that I think you're right, once he starts losing the PPV buys will go down quickly.

Back