McGregor made more than Cowboy

It isn't disdain for education, it's disdain for the smug, know-it-all attitude that can come with said education.

His comment does not smack of smugness, at all. I think you need to look in the mirror and ask yourself why the reading of said comment elicited that type of response. Seems like some sort of insecurity or something to that effect.

But I care about the SPORT, not the entertainment, not how much one can sell themselves.

The UFC cares about the sport, the entertainment and how much one can sell themselves. That's why McGregor gets paid. Not sure what's so hard to understand...

Saying a guy has drawing power BUT is like saying "I don't get why this guy is in jail. I get that he purposely shot somebody with premeditation and without an excuse, BUT..."

Drawing power. Money. He who makes UFC money makes himself money. Paraphrasing Baldwin, GET THEM TO BUY THE SHOW WHICH IS PAY-PER-VIEW.

How a title shot is on the line by beating a guy who has 1 win in the last two years (over Charles Rosa!) is beyond me.

Was Siver getting a title shot if he beat McGregor?

He should have been paid more than that. He got 3.1 million viewers to watch his fight!! I'm surprised there aren't more threads saying he didn't get paid enough for those numbers. Love him or hate him we will ALL tune in and watch when he fights. He might be the UFCs biggest star and if he beats Aldo I don't think there'll be any doubt he will be

So 5 fights in the UFC and he's making more than Cowboy? Cowboy's been in the WEC/UFC for how long? And fights all the time, whenever UFC needs him vs whomever.

To me, that's a slap in the face to Cowboy. I understand McGregor has drawing power, blah blah blah, that's still insulting.

Thoughts? (From non-McGregor freaks)

I am not surprised at all.

He is a bigger draw. Pure and simple.

I think the moral of the story is that all of them are under-paid. How much money do you think the UFC made off of the entire event? You have guys like Uriah Hall making $14,000 and that wouldn't even pay for the training camps that more favored fighters can afford. I remember Cerrone saying one of his short training camps cost $20,000.

You know it's a sport too, right? NFL is the biggest drawing sport in the US, and players are paid for their skill and how they can make the team win, not if they are a fucking sideshow or not. So I think the argument is two-fold. You all seem to just go the "biggest draw" route, but there's more to it than that.

Apples and oranges bro. that's not even comparable. If you're a chapter in the nfl you're not making your team more money than a team that is consistently successful. In a way your example is the exact opposite of your cowboy/Connor situation.

So 5 fights in the UFC and he's making more than Cowboy? Cowboy's been in the WEC/UFC for how long? And fights all the time, whenever UFC needs him vs whomever.

To me, that's a slap in the face to Cowboy. I understand McGregor has drawing power, blah blah blah, that's still insulting.

Conor getting this treatment justifies signing CM Punk, and other whacky decisions.

I dunno. I'm sure Budweiser paid Cerrone a pretty penny.

If the UFC was giving Cerrone good money every time he's fighting they had financial trouble for sure :D

Poor former champion Benson has to fight again at UFN 63 to make another 40-some-odd K

Conor put in the most effort and time to promote this card and is the main event.

Can someone explain how the contracts work? I'm sure when they signed connor he wasn't a draw, so how does he earn more than all of them.
Also how does Henderson make so little when he's a former champion. I'm not the type of person that cares whay fighters make, but I was shocked when I saw these numbers.

Conor won fights impressively via knockout and built his own hype so he could negotiate a bigger contract.

Bendo lost some fights, lost his belt, and hasnt been very good at hyping himself up.

For reference, Conor made 8 grand to show and 8 grand to win in his first UFC fight. Everything he's done since then has been to build himself up as a name.

Look, I believe fighters should be paid more in general. If you are in the top 10, you should be making 6 figures a fight, if you're the champ, you should be getting 7 figures - otherwise what is the incentive for athletes to enter into MMA if they arent richly rewarded at the top level?

Regardless, if Conor sells more tickets, and is responsible for making the UFC more money, how is it fair to not give him that cut?

So you think Carla Esparza should be paid 7 figures? :icon_lol:

Look, I believe fighters should be paid more in general. If you are in the top 10, you should be making 6 figures a fight, if you're the champ, you should be getting 7 figures - otherwise what is the incentive for athletes to enter into MMA if they arent richly rewarded at the top level?

Regardless, if Conor sells more tickets, and is responsible for making the UFC more money, how is it fair to not give him that cut?

So you think Carla Esparza should be paid 7 figures? :icon_lol:

Tecia Torres, #8, has 5 fights. She should make 100k+ per fight, win or lose?

And cowboy made more than you, now go mop the floor.

Back