McGregor made more than Cowboy

You bring in more money for us. We give you more money in return.

Pretty simple stuff TS. Who put in more work to hype this fight? Who did all the interviews and commercials?

What is so difficult to understand?
UFC is a business where employees get paid depending on how much money they can earn for company.
The better you are for UFC business, the more you will be paid. End of story.
Conor has great potential, he already sells a lot, and will potentialy earn a lot money with PPV for UFC. It`s no wonder, UFC tries to make him happy.

You know it's a sport too, right? NFL is the biggest drawing sport in the US, and players are paid for their skill and how they can make the team win, not if they are a fucking sideshow or not. So I think the argument is two-fold. You all seem to just go the "biggest draw" route, but there's more to it than that.

No, they should pay him the absolute least amount they can such that he still fights for them. A business exists to make profit for its owners.

If they could somehow find out that Cerrone, though disgruntled, would continue fighting at half his current rate, they should immediately lower his pay if the contract allows for it.

It's more than just a business though, it's a sport. If they want to be recognized as a legitimate sport, they need to treat it and their athletes as such.

Don't worry, in a few years (or sooner) there will be a fighter union and then you all will be set straight.

You know it's a sport too, right? NFL is the biggest drawing sport in the US, and players are paid for their skill and how they can make the team win, not if they are a fucking sideshow or not. So I think the argument is two-fold. You all seem to just go the "biggest draw" route, but there's more to it than that.

If I bring in $10 million dollars for a company and you bring in $2 million, you deserve better compensation than me based on what?

Conor is a top 5 FW which is a similar ranking to Cerrone at LW and brings in big ticket sales, tons of eyeballs, and does more promotional work for the UFC than Cerrone.

On what grounds does Cerrone deserve more money?

So 5 fights in the UFC and he's making more than Cowboy? Cowboy's been in the WEC/UFC for how long? And fights all the time, whenever UFC needs him vs whomever.

To me, that's a slap in the face to Cowboy. I understand McGregor has drawing power, blah blah blah, that's still insulting.

Thoughts? (From non-McGregor freaks)

HEADLINER.

And he who draws, earns the money.

This show brought in huge numbers of viewers.

In MMA you're not paid on experience or time, but on who much you bring in.

If you have a problem with people being paid what they earn for the company, go join an union like the Teamsters. Pay based on time served.

Is there actually solid evidence that Mcconor is a bigger draw? A card that was heavily advertised that featured both is no such evidence.

Not saying it isn't true, wondering if there is evidence.

I don't know about hard data, but the fact that the card he headlined drew more viewers than any other MMA event on Fox Sports 1 and that people are flying across the Atlantic in fairly strong numbers is pretty indicative. He did great numbers fighting a guy who really isn't even top 10.

Do you think that if Cerrone vs. Henderson was headlining that event, even with proper build up and marketing, that it would break viewing records for MMA on FS1?

You obviously have a bias here!

Conor is a the bigger draw so he gets paid more! It's simple! It's not because Conor has the gift of the gab. It's because he brings in more numbers. Cerrone isn't getting passed over. He's getting handsomely paid as well.

It seems that you just don't like the fact that Conor is getting paid more.

If you want an objective answer then you should have the objective ears to hear.

K. First off, I have a very objective view. It seems people only want to see one side of the argument. If you want this "sport" to be viewed as a legitimate sport, athletes need to be treated as such. You all just keep arguing one point of the argument.

It's more than just a business though, it's a sport. If they want to be recognized as a legitimate sport, they need to treat it and their athletes as such.

Don't worry, in a few years (or sooner) there will be a fighter union and then you all will be set straight.

No sport pays athletes based on how long they've been playing. Well except in highly unionised sports but this doesn't apply to stars. Kobe was earning big money straight off.

K. First off, I have a very objective view. It seems people only want to see one side of the argument. If you want this "sport" to be viewed as a legitimate sport, athletes need to be treated as such. You all just keep arguing one point of the argument.

I challenge you to find a sport where athletes earn money based on tenure.

Only exception is that unionised sports have minimal rookie wages.

It's the most important part. All leagues are businesses. Paying guys according to their skill level and how much money they draw the company is the fairest and most objective way of compensating athletes.

I challenge you to find a sport where athletes earn money based on tenure.

Only exception is that unionised sports have minimal rookie wages.

I don't even see what the debate is about. Conor comparable in his division to where Cerrone is at LW in terms of rankings, but then Conor brings in tons and tons more eyeballs.

So why would Cerrone get paid more? If you're an athlete in the UFC and you see Conor doing what he's doing in his division and bringing in the eyes that he is, and he's not getting paid for it? You'd be pissed. Because what else could you possibly do in this sport to get justify more pay?

TS is just being silly.

LOL at TS.

'I understand Mcgregor draws more casual fans, but how comes he gets paid more than Cerrone'.

Because. He. Draws. More. Casual. Fans.

Can someone explain how the contracts work? I'm sure when they signed connor he wasn't a draw, so how does he earn more than all of them.
Also how does Henderson make so little when he's a former champion. I'm not the type of person that cares whay fighters make, but I was shocked when I saw these numbers.

Also this is dumb. Lot's of legitimate sports work the same way, you make more people tune in and watch the event, you get paid more. Trying to make out that this is some valiant moral standard at the watering down of sporting competition is LOLworthy. Just pure hating and nothing else.

LOL at TS.

'I understand Mcgregor draws more casual fans, but how comes he gets paid more than Cerrone'.

Because. He. Draws. More. Casual. Fans.

Again, I'll say it...in addition to drawing more fans, driving website traffic, drawing on TV, apparently drawing on Fight Pass, doing business with ticket sales...this guy ALSO is in a similar position to Cerrone in terms of rankings.

So on what grounds should Cerrone make more? It would be bullshit if Conor didn't.

Can someone explain how the contracts work? I'm sure when they signed connor he wasn't a draw, so how does he earn more than all of them.
Also how does Henderson make so little when he's a former champion. I'm not the type of person that cares whay fighters make, but I was shocked when I saw these numbers.

UFC signs rookies on short term contracts, probably something like 3 fights. McGregor created such a buzz about himself in his first 3 fights he was probably in a strong position when it came to renegotiating.

I don't even see what the debate is about. Conor comparable in his division to where Cerrone is at LW in terms of rankings, but then Conor brings in tons and tons more eyeballs.

So why would Cerrone get paid more? If you're an athlete in the UFC and you see Conor doing what he's doing in his division and bringing in the eyes that he is, and he's not getting paid for it? You'd be pissed. Because what else could you possibly do in this sport to get justify more pay?

TS is just being silly.

He just now got into the top 5, and that was with the red carpet rolled out for him from the UFC. The only legit fighter he fought was Poirer. He hasn't fought Lamas, Mendes, Swanson, Edgar....all the legitimate FWs.

Cowboy has been in Top 5-10 for a few years now. Don't see how I'm being silly?

He just now got into the top 5, and that was with the red carpet rolled out for him from the UFC. The only legit fighter he fought was Poirer. He hasn't fought Lamas, Mendes, Swanson, Edgar....all the legitimate FWs.

Cowboy has been in Top 5-10 for a few years now. Don't see how I'm being silly?

Conor smacked Poirier in 2 minutes, who was ranked #5.

But beyond that, you're being silly because Conor is ranked in a similar position and draws better than 95% percent of the roster. He does more promotional work with the UFC to make that happen as well. He does more media.

When you consider everything Conor is worth business wise and then take into account that he's ranked in the top 5, how do you make the case that Cerrone deserves more?

If you're going to make this about how you feel about his path to his ranking and how he should be paid according to your feelings, then there's nothing else to discuss. But based on the numbers, Conor > Cerrone.

Also this is dumb. Lot's of legitimate sports work the same way, you make more people tune in and watch the event, you get paid more. Trying to make out that this is some valiant moral standard at the watering down of sporting competition is LOLworthy. Just pure hating and nothing else.

There's literally no sports that work like that except maybe boxing? Football, Baseball, Basketball, you get paid on skill. You get rookie contracts, then prove yourself, and sign mega deals based on what you've done, not how much you've talked, or how much attendance you draw. There are turd teams in MLB that pay guys $20-30 mil a year and their attendance is terrible.

People seem to only grab one part of my argument. I'm not saying McGregor isn't a good fighter, but he's not "proven" yet, only has 5 UFC fights, and is already making more money than someone who is proven, who has done everything the UFC has asked, and is a pretty legit draw himself.

Arguments don't work when the only address half the issue. I have nothing against McGregor, it's great to add another huge demographic to the sport. But I care about the SPORT, not the entertainment, not how much one can sell themselves. I've been a fan of MMA since I saw my first match in '99, and I've always wanted it to be legitimized as a sport, something to be compared to NFL, MLB, etc.

When I see people talk their way to the top (a la Chael), to me it just makes the sport look more like WWE. That's all.

Back