McGregor is Breakthrough Fighter of the Year; Coach talks his power & foes' fear

Clean off.

I can't wait for the chance to catch Aldo's head.

Congrats to the GOAT.

Soon he will take that title from Hozay and he will be fighter of the century.

Congratulations to 'The GOAT' on winning Breakthrough Fighter of the Year from Sherdog! :cool: He even beat out TJ Dillashaw and Dillashaw put a bad beating on Barao, outclassed and then finished him to take the BW belt + defended it once already.

So, Conor came back from a complete ACL tear and he's never looked better. Many fighters are never the same after tearing an ACL, it's potentially a career-ending injury for athletes to this very day. Since Conor is a striker this isn't as debilitating for him, not like it potentially could be for a wrestler or a fighter that relies a lot on their wrestling. Since coming back he's beaten Brandao and Poirier and finished them both inside the 1st round in dominant fashion.

His coach just made this comment about Conor's frightening power...

I noticed this in his last fight against Poirier as well, I think many fans did. Dustin was fearful of his power early and all the way up until Conor dropped him and finished. Here's a picture to illustrate this fear, as he's shelling up and peeking through his forearms at the 'bad man' before him...

conoranddustin.jpg

bijj7s.png

cmac2.jpg

This is the shot that hurt Poirier visibly, shook him up and momentarily put him on the run before his destined demise:

[YT]HKvmCulxvQ0?start=238[/YT]​

While it appears to be true that Conor has mentally broken several opponents before they even step into the cage with him (something Anderson was excellent at), he doesn't need to do this to still scare them or have them shook. His power can do this during the fight, in combination with his skills, and it can happen at any point during the fight. Of course, it depends on the specific individual themselves, but we saw it in the Brandao fight too (not that he was mentally strong in the first place). Both Brandao and Poirier looked like they were self-doubting when things got tough and they started to look like they wanted out when the going got toughest (when they tasted his power and got hurt).

Conor isn't just a very bad dude with lots of power, he's a very skilled one. One with enormous confidence that is genuine and not simply put on and played up for the part. Given his size and speed on top of his power, skill and confidence, that's enough to strike fear into opponents that aren't absolutely 100% confident in themselves leading up to and inside the cage with him. He has the psychological warfare down pat pre-fight but he also has the rare ability to scare them inside the fight with the aforementioned combination of his skill, mental toughness, unbreakable confidence and significant physical attributes.

I hope you enjoyed the read. Conor bless!

I feel that this power is overrated but what do I know. I guess we will find out when he faces a real striker

yeah fighting and shutting up the haters would be nice but conquering 2 titles in half a year would be fucking GOAT
lol what the fuc joao ur a conor fan deep down confirmed

Back