McGregor is Breakthrough Fighter of the Year; Coach talks his power & foes' fear

Jose Aldo has a lot of experience in fights. He has that same crazy athleticism Conor has, which is something Conor has yet to face. He also has a lot of tools to keep opponents guessing. The weaknesses that Silva had(,takedowns, not being able to reverse) isn't a problem for Aldo, he just pops back up..rather than relying on the bell/ref to get the fight stood.

Aldos head movement is underrated also, he has slipped some combinations that were a lot faster than the ones Silva did, but he didn't exaggerate it to show it off(& end up getting KOd for it, for that matter.)so fans don't notice it.

I think Conor definitely has the potential to win, but confidence isn't an issue for Aldo. He doesn't display it as flagrantly, but it's there. Fedor showed virtually no sign of any emotion & demolished everyone. The only time I remember Fedor getting pissed was when Mark Hunt put him in a bad position & it felt like "Ok, this fight ends....now"

He has been facing people looking to take him down. With CM that isnt an issue so he will feel free to blast away.

If Aldo is thinking the same way you are here then I can see Conor hitting a takedown just to screw with his head. For what it's worth, Conor has really good takedowns. This isn't something new, he's had them since fighting for Cage Warriors. He has a good double leg, single leg, trips and throws. He hit a lateral drop reversal against Brandao who has good takedowns and really good takedown defense. He took Holloway down with ease a handful of times when Bermudez struggled to do nearly as well and he's a Division-I All-American wrestler. McGregor's timing is phenomenal and his striking actually opens up his takedowns/wrestling, like takedowns open up most fighter's striking games.

If Aldo is thinking the same way you are here then I can see Conor hitting a takedown just to screw with his head. For what it's worth, Conor has really good takedowns. This isn't something new, he's had them since fighting for Cage Warriors. He has a good double leg, single leg, trips and throws. He hit a lateral drop reversal against Brandao who has good takedowns and really good takedown defense. He took Holloway down with ease a handful of times when Bermudez struggled to do nearly as well and he's a Division-I All-American wrestler. McGregor's timing is phenomenal and his striking actually opens up his takedowns/wrestling, like takedowns open up most fighter's striking games.

Aldo shrugs off takedowns every fight from every wrestler he has faced. McGregor has nothing that Aldo hasnt seen before in that dept. Now Aldo will probably change his stance to one that isnt so focused on stopping the takedown but McGregor still wont land one. Aldos balance and hips are crazy.

Aldo shrugs off takedowns every fight from every wrestler he has faced. McGregor has nothing that Aldo hasnt seen before in that dept. Now Aldo will probably change his stance to one that isnt so focused on stopping the takedown but McGregor still wont land one. Aldos balance and hips are crazy.

Aldo has phenomenal TDD, but that doesn't mean that Conor has to try and hold him down if he gets a takedown, it'll still be in his head that he's able to be taken down to begin with. Conor may try just to 'mix it up' and keep him guessing and honest. Aldo and McGregor are such good strikers that it isn't hard for them to get takedowns because their opponents are so focused and worried about their striking, hand speed and knockout power. They're well above the rest of the division in the standup.

Aldo has phenomenal TDD, but that doesn't mean that Conor has to try and hold him down if he gets a takedown, it'll still be in his head that he's able to be taken down to begin with. Conor may try just to 'mix it up' and keep him guessing and honest. Aldo and McGregor are such good strikers that it isn't hard for them to get takedowns because their opponents are so focused and worried about their striking, hand speed and knockout power. They're well above the rest of the division in the standup.

I agree with that. I just think Aldo is on another level that Connor hasnt experienced yet. I also honestly dont care if he has never faced a wrestler because win or lose against Aldo he will face one.

I agree with that. I just think Aldo is on another level that Connor hasnt experienced yet. I also honestly dont care if he has never faced a wrestler because win or lose against Aldo he will face one.

Agreed, he'll face a wrestler much sooner than later with Mendes and Edgar at the top of the division's rankings, Lamas too. Siver can wrestle reasonably well though and that's the only chance he may have against Conor. Though I doubt he'll be able to take Conor down if Brandao couldn't, and he tried a double and then multiple trips from the clinch that were defended.

Agreed, he'll face a wrestler much sooner than later with Mendes and Edgar at the top of the division's rankings, Lamas too. Siver can wrestle reasonably well though and that's the only chance he may have against Conor. Though I doubt he'll be able to take Conor down if Brandao couldn't, and he tried a double and then multiple trips from the clinch that were defended.

he will face a wrestler sometime, but according to this interview he wants to go straight up after taking the belt

and i dont see dana resist against it too much when he can book mcgregor pettis at the end of the year

[YT]DEzvK7PFs6Q[/YT]

1:28

i tried to put the time on the video but couldnt

he will face a wrestler sometime, but according to this interview he wants to go straight up after taking the belt

and i dont see dana resist against it too much when he can book mcgregor pettis at the end of the year

[YT]DEzvK7PFs6Q[/YT]

1:28

i tried to put the time on the video but couldnt

I've seen the video but forgot that he said that. I hope he doesn't until he defends the belt, assuming he beats Siver and then Aldo to get it. I'd like to see him fight Mendes and Edgar much more than the rest of the top guys, and both are very good wrestlers. Thing is, as you probably know already it's up to the fighters entirely what weight class they want to fight in, the UFC basically gets no say in it (aside from you not being able to make weight, they'll want you to move up then). So Conor could easily move up to Lightweight and only have to diet down and lose about 10-15 tops. He walks around at about 165, though I've heard as high as 170.

I've seen the video but forgot that he said that. I hope he doesn't until he defends the belt, assuming he beats Siver and then Aldo to get it. I'd like to see him fight Mendes and Edgar much more than the rest of the top guys, and both are very good wrestlers. Thing is, as you probably know already it's up to the fighters entirely what weight class they want to fight in, the UFC basically gets no say in it (aside from you not being able to make weight, they'll want you to move up then). So Conor could easily move up to Lightweight and only have to diet down and lose about 10-15 tops. He walks around at about 165, though I've heard as high as 170.

yeah fighting and shutting up the haters would be nice but conquering 2 titles in half a year would be fucking GOAT

I think you are misreading my post. I dont care if he gets the shot because I think Aldo starches him easily. What I am commenting on is that any other fighter would get laughed at for wanting a shot while beating low level competition. Im calling out some fans for being hypocrites more than anything.

PS - Silva was highly ranked before coming to the UFC. So it wasnt a surprise to see him get the shot even if it was fans voting for it.

Honestly please stop posting, I cant stand reading this thread because of you.
You are clearly blinded by the hate you have for C MCG some of that stuff is laughable.

So Mcgregor is on a 10+ win streak if you wanna talk prior to joining the UFC.
He was a fucking double weight champion and that makes Silva more highly regarded prior to joining over Mcgregor?

Maybe tomorrow you can drink a bottle of reality for breakfast?
You sir just cant stand someone you hate doing well, im so glad I can see things from both sides unlike some people.

Honestly please stop posting, I cant stand reading this thread because of you.
You are clearly blinded by the hate you have for C MCG some of that stuff is laughable.

So Mcgregor is on a 10+ win streak if you wanna talk prior to joining the UFC.
He was a fucking double weight champion and that makes Silva more highly regarded prior to joining over Mcgregor?

Maybe tomorrow you can drink a bottle of reality for breakfast?
You sir just cant stand someone you hate doing well, im so glad I can see things from both sides unlike some people.

umad7.jpg

Yes because fighting in Cage Warriors is much more prestigious than Pride.

umad7.jpg

Yes because fighting in Cage Warriors is much more prestigious than Pride.

And what the fuck was Silva fighting in? It couldn't have been on par with the UFC as all of these minor organizations are full of pubbers. They were both fighting pubbers.

Im just sick of guys like you talking trash on the guy for nothing. Putting down every achievement he gets passes makes.

Do you realise how stupid you look making posts like this? popping up in every C MCG thread?
Im asking you nicely on behalf of a lot of people to stop. Nobody wants to hear deluded bias rubbish. Mcgregor has earned his right. Fucking hell I thought this shit would stop after Dustin fight.

Great post by OP. Brilliant actually one of the best threads ive read on here. WP sir.

BTW for the record Mcgregor im pretty certain would crush Pettis. Would love to see that happen. However we shant get ahead of ourselves. Lets wait see how the Siver fight pans out first.

And what the fuck was Silva fighting in? It couldn't have been on par with the UFC as all of these minor organizations are full of pubbers. They were both fighting pubbers.

Im just sick of guys like you talking trash on the guy for nothing. Putting down every achievement he gets passes makes.

Do you realise how stupid you look making posts like this? popping up in every C MCG thread?
Im asking you nicely on behalf of a lot of people to stop. Nobody wants to hear deluded bias rubbish. Mcgregor has earned his right. Fucking hell I thought this shit would stop after Dustin fight.

I'm sorry your reading comprehension is rubbish. When did I say he wasn't any good? And I dont post in every thread about him because no one has that amount of time since people like you who slobber up his dick make so many of them.

Part of the reason I created this thread is because a lot of the people that dislike or even hate McGregor have been saying for months that "if he can't get into his opponents' heads then he won't fight as well / beat them", which is mostly written by blithering idiots. If he can't get into an opponent's head then they still have to find a way to deal with his potent combination of high confidence, power, size and skill, that stuff doesn't just disappear or cancel out.

Great post by OP. Brilliant actually one of the best threads ive read on here. WP sir.

Thanks. I figured there are enough Jon Jones threads and I'm already tired of seeing most of them, this coming from someone who can't stand him.

Great post, lots of good points made.

Thx.

This won't matter when he faces somone like Mendes who has power and will try to take him down.

Back