Media McGregor Has 'Bad Grappling: Myth?

His offensive grappling is useless.

He's not subbing anyone.

His tdd and duck and cover grappling is pretty good but that's much more basic.

His biggest problem is knockout is his only path to victory and if it doesn't come by the second he becomes sloppy and loses power. Very beatable.

I believe it’s slightly below average for championship level fighters. It’s not non existent as some say and it’s not secretly amazing as others say.

People look at these things too black and white imo.
This is an interesting point as all but one male champion are wrestlers. We really have not seen Izzy's wrestling tested outside some brief exchanges, he certainly has not fought a Khabib or even Chad level wrestler. We also have not seen him dominate a well rounded fighter like Max in the grappling either. Another factor is size, as if Conor is 160-170 weight while walking, that puts him square in the featherweight territory. Size matters in grappling, and where as many will say Conor has weak grappling, not many would say the same about relatively similar sized Dustin, tho he did worse vs Khabib.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this. I had a discussion on a show I run about Conor McGregor's grappling. In particular, the common assertion that it's bad. I find that most analysts (and fans) go back to this talking-point when assessing his skills. And I think that it's unfounded based on the evidence that we have.

Here's the short clip.

In my view, his grappling overall is quite good. The word itself, 'grappling', is used in a very broad sense, because there's a lot to it. And he's better at certain things than others. But I don't see it as being a major hole in his game. And he's proven that over the years.

He was submitted by Diaz, but, let's be real, he lost that fight on the feet. He resigned himself to his fate because he was about to get smashed by strikes. And even if you disagree with that, I'd argue that getting subbed by Diaz isn't a suitable measuring stick. And the same applies to Khabib. He did OK in some exchanges against him (minus the blatant fouls). But, either way, context is key, and the context is he was fighting Khabib.

I think he has many problems, perhaps his cardio above all else, but I don't think his grappling is his primary concern.

What do you think?

mcnugget has average grappling, nothing to brag or give props for....he's very basic in that department....anyone who has better bjj than conor has a chance at submitting him, he may be able to shrug or defend some grappling attacks but he lacks in that area pure and simple, he's like anderson silva good striking and stand up not so good for grappling, except anderson has higher bjj skills than conor.

I see this fight going by either conor landing a solid strike to drop cerrone, then goes in for gnp and ref stops legitimately or prematurely OR cerrone lands a headkick to drop conor followed up by strikes for the finish or gets him on the ground and subs conor. wouldn't surprise me if conor lands something early and fight is ended...cowboy will hopefully be prepared and not fight recklessly and fall into conor's traps.

And the same 2 gifs from you.

Top gif, that's not bjj. Brandao's bjj rank means little in a no-go standing clinch exchange.

Second gif, good step over but he then grabs the cage for help.

Find some new gifs, mate. Look at some of the positional stuff he did against Chad, there is better stuff there than the two above gifs.

I have all the stuff from Chad. My sig is literally a link of all the times Conor has done good grappling to dispel this dumb myth.

I brought up the Brandao fight as people just put their blinders on and try and pretend he never fought him when they talk about the grapplers he's fought.

She says that she likes booty, so the make her close her eyes and when they have her open them Cherokee is standing there. She just has this hilarious troubled look about her, while Cherokee just smiles and winks for the camera. Then Cherokee rides her face like a horse until the poor little thing isn't having fun anymore.

It's sorta like one of those scenes where some chick says she likes big dicks, and then they present her with some dude that almost breaks her in half.
I need to watch it for educational purposes. Can you pm a link

Nate Diaz was tied with Maia for 2nd most UFC subs at the time of the first Conor fight. Diaz also has a sub win over Jim fucking Miller. Diaz is a black belt under Cesar Gracie who is notorious for being extremely tough to get a black belt from.

Diaz being good on the ground is an understatement.
My point exactly!

<[analyzed}>

his grappling is pretty good from a jiu jitsu perspective i think, and fundamentally he's got it down. but i think he suffers from going into "grappling mode" when he gets grappled. he rarely can ever sweep anyone who has a strong top game and he doesn't ever make getting away a priority, rather he tries to stay defensively sound and maintain his defensiveness instead of just trying to get away.

as an example, Ngannou is a much shittier grappler, but his instincts when it comes to fighting grapplers are way better than Conor's. Conor pretty much just let Chad Mendes gas himself by outgrappling Conor the majority of the fight. against Khabib he fully engaged Khabib in grappling once Khabib shot that single, instead of trying to break Khabib's hold on his leg and get away. Ngannou would never willingly engage in grappling.

the best fighters usually don't get better at things they're terrible at. they usually just learn how to force people to play to their strengths. Conor learning how to grapple is all wrong in my opinion, he needs to learn how to stop the grappling from occurring not get better at grappling.

Ngannou fought grandpa Cain, Stipe and a c level wrestler with 0 striking defense aka blaydes.

Chad is 10 times the wrestler and 100x more athletic than all HW wrestlers combinbed.

its easy to look good vs trash competition.

Ngannou fought grandpa Cain, Stipe and a c level wrestler with 0 striking defense aka blaydes.

Chad is 10 times the wrestler and 100x more athletic than all HW wrestlers combinbed.

its easy to look good vs trash competition.

and yet Ngannou would destroy Chad with a single punch.

His TDD is very good, and I think he is competent on the ground.

His knees were compromised against Mendes, and we've seen Nate strangle other high end black belts on the ground, and nobody has withstood Khabib on the ground yet, so those fights didn't tell me much.

Conor did better than Poirier did against Khabib.

Back