Media McGregor Has 'Bad Grappling: Myth?

Christ, the children on here sometimes...I addressed everything you have said. I'm not even arguing. I'm clarifying the context of the podcast which you and many others misrepresent.
Feel free to go back and highlight the portions you directly addressed. Then look at the non highlighted parts.

Or dont, it doesn't matter. I'm a child. I'm uppity. I didn't watch the podcast. You definitely correctly assumed all of these things and you're coming across as the more seasoned poster.

<Fedor23>

Feel free to go back and highlight the portions you directly addressed. Then look at the non highlighted parts.

Or dont, it doesn't matter. I'm a child. I'm uppity. I didn't watch the podcast. You definitely correctly assumed all of these things and you're coming across as the more seasoned poster.

<Fedor23>
Whatever dude. I already corrected you. Peace.

I’m not even a nut hugger but I swear people always talk about connors ground game but never talk about how he wrestle fucked Max the whole fight. I think folks need to go back and watch that fight.
Cause Max Holloway was such a great fighter back in 2013...

It's truly amazing that people think 2013 Max is the same as current Max.

The two world class grapplers he faced sliced through his TDD with ease.

He has fought mostly strikers.
One he beat and the other he defended over have his takedown attempts.

2 of the best wrestlers in ufc history ffs

All 4 losses by submission should sum it up for ya.... That and cardio are his Achilles heals.
Does it though ?
2 of those are before he trained grappling serious at all and basicaly stepped into the cage as a failed olympic boxing prospect who dabbled in mma training and got eventualy humbled
The 3rd vs diaz lets be honest was victory by exhaustion....diaz could have finushed any way he wanted

khabib's a massive lw and conrads a fw. Khabib's been out muscling small strikers like connie and poirer. Tony will show him whats up.

I believe it’s slightly below average for championship level fighters. It’s not non existent as some say and it’s not secretly amazing as others say.

People look at these things too black and white imo.
nailed it in one. this is spot on.

To say Conor's grappling is suspect exclusively based on being subbed by Diaz and Khabib, would also open the door to saying Jim Miller's grappling is suspect because he got subbed by Diaz and Olivera. Only factoring in the times someone was subbed omits so much context.
Well said.

His grappling is decent. I wouldn't say it's anything super extraordinary or special. There's room for improvement definitely but not growing up in a grappling heavy environment like Dagestan, or NCAA wrestling, or his last name isn't Gracie, etc has not benefitted him. Being from Ireland is a negative in this case.

Does it though ?
2 of those are before he trained grappling serious at all and basicaly stepped into the cage as a failed olympic boxing prospect who dabbled in mma training and got eventualy humbled
The 3rd vs diaz lets be honest was victory by exhaustion....diaz could have finushed any way he wanted
Reread what I wrote and what you wrote, and notice how you proved my points.

He is pretty decent from a top position. If anything I will say that he is better than BJ Penn who hasn't changed his game in over a decade.

He is a good grappler and his TDD is really really good.

Who does not get grapplefucked by Khabib at 155?

Don't forget about all of the cheating. His CTD (Cheating Takedown Defense) is very good.
He would have lost sooner otherwise.

He has decent take down defense and his scrambles are pretty decent. He's good at these things because that's probably 90% of what he drills. I would bet that his offensive grappling isn't too great, but who knows?

Didn't he have a rough night against Mendes too?

Elite striker
Decent grappler
Crappy gas tank

....thus if he loses, it’s on the ground.

his grappling is pretty good from a jiu jitsu perspective i think, and fundamentally he's got it down. but i think he suffers from going into "grappling mode" when he gets grappled. he rarely can ever sweep anyone who has a strong top game and he doesn't ever make getting away a priority, rather he tries to stay defensively sound and maintain his defensiveness instead of just trying to get away.

as an example, Ngannou is a much shittier grappler, but his instincts when it comes to fighting grapplers are way better than Conor's. Conor pretty much just let Chad Mendes gas himself by outgrappling Conor the majority of the fight. against Khabib he fully engaged Khabib in grappling once Khabib shot that single, instead of trying to break Khabib's hold on his leg and get away. Ngannou would never willingly engage in grappling.

the best fighters usually don't get better at things they're terrible at. they usually just learn how to force people to play to their strengths. Conor learning how to grapple is all wrong in my opinion, he needs to learn how to stop the grappling from occurring not get better at grappling.

Back