McGregor gets Paid, UFN 59 salaries

The #50 woman made 320,000 in 27 events during the year. Conor probably made more than that in one event.

Except she's playing golf. Not much chance at any injuries, head trauma, etc. in that game. Plus it's golf. Plus she's 50th in the world. Plus she is playing a woman's sport. Plus Conor McGregor is the UFC's biggest superstar.

For the UFC's biggest superstar to maybe make as much as the #50th woman's golfer who no one cares about is disgraceful.

To compare

http://mma-manifesto.com/ufc-fighter-salary-database/salary-main/top-ten-earning-featherweights.html

We continue our examination of fighter pay in each weight class with a look at the featherweights.

(fighters with a * beside their name have either estimated or non-current info)

Figures represent a fighter’s payout per fight

(Updated after UFC Fight Night: McGregor vs Siver http://mma-manifesto.com/ufc-fighte...-vs-siver-fighter-purses-attendance-gate.html )

Total, Show, Win Bonus

1 B.J. Penn $300,000 $ 150,000 $ 150,000
2 Frankie Edgar* $280,000 $ 140,000 $ 140,000
3 Jose Aldo $240,000 $ 120,000 $ 120,000
4 Conor McGregor $170,000 $ 85,000 $ 85,000
5 Clay Guida $100,000 $ 50,000 $ 50,000
6 Chad Mendes $ 90,000 $ 45,000 $ 45,000
7 Pat Curran (Bellator) $ 80,000 $ 40,000 $ 40,000
7 Jeremy Stephens $ 80,000 $ 40,000 $ 40,000
9 Dennis Siver $ 78,000 $ 39,000 $ 39,000
10 Cub Swanson* $ 74,000 $ 37,000 $ 37,000

Not Anderson or GSP money. Hopefully the hype train will be derailed before that happens.

Cracks me up that you guys think he's getting paid. He's supposed to be the UFCs next big thing yet Boxings next big thing is getting paid in the millions (before he lost to Maidana, he was..he still has a future) in Broner that is. He just rejected a $40m 5 year contract too.

The #50 woman made 320,000 in 27 events during the year. Conor probably made more than that in one event.

dollars is still dollars

connor still has to work/train in the interi

it's not like he can participate in 27 fights

the woman can participate comfortably in as many events as she wants

$28,000 three times a year? I'd gladly fight for that.

Not that I disagree with the fact that they should be paid more but when you stop comparing their pay to other athletes and start comparing to the average American you realize that $80,000-90,000/yr is good money especially when you're living out your dream. Not to mention he is not the reason why anyone watched the card.

I'd watch you get stanky legged on national tv 3 times for 100,000... They'd kick after the first fight though. It would be a brutal stanky leg for 30,000 and you can go buy a honda accord for your brain damage. The fact of the matter is the UFC is keeping fighter pay low to RACK IN THE MOOLAHHH!!! It's becoming an evil monopoly!!

Good to see veterans like Siver and Tibau making good coin.

Benson seems low, but he isn't a champion anymore and has lost 3 out of his last 4.

Makes negotiations a little harder, deserved his win bonus on Sunday though.

Good to see veterans like Siver and Tibau making good coin.

Benson seems low, but he isn't a champion anymore and has lost 3 out of his last 4.

Makes negotiations a little harder, deserved his win bonus on Sunday though.
Not only that but his wins have been lukewarm at best. That's the biggest problem. You can be losing a fight here and there, and if you're going out on your shield then it's fine. But point-fighting and then losing is guaranteed low-pay.

I'd watch you get stanky legged on national tv 3 times for 100,000... They'd kick after the first fight though. It would be a brutal stanky leg for 30,000 and you can go buy a honda accord for your brain damage. The fact of the matter is the UFC is keeping fighter pay low to RACK IN THE MOOLAHHH!!! It's becoming an evil monopoly!!

First of all if I was in the UFC I'd be more than capable of taking a few ass whoopings. If I'm not the reason people are tuning in and I'm still making 30 grand for 1 fight, that's a win.

These guys aren't going on national tv to get "stanky legged" they are chasing a dream and doing what they love to do. If $100,000 a year isn't enough for you to do what you love then obviously you don't love it. The people at the top like Anderson Silva and Jones make a very comfortable living.

While I agree that the UFC can afford to pay fighters a bit more it doesn't mean we should all hate on them for paying people that can't break the top 5 80-100 grand a year because it's what everyone else is talking about. I live like a king off of $5,000/mo. I can do whatever I want whenever I want. So doubling that would make me a very happy camper.

The fighters in the UFC make way more than most of the ones not in the UFC (hell they make more than most Americans). Again, once you stop comparing UFC fighters to NBA/NFL players you see they make a pretty good living. The last fight card had what, 3 million views on free tv? A ppv is lucky it breaks a million. Compare that to the 20+ million that watch football every Sunday.

If a fighter is struggling to live off of 100 grand a year then they have much bigger problems in life than getting stanky legged.

First of all if I was in the UFC I'd be more than capable of taking a few ass whoopings. If I'm not the reason people are tuning in and I'm still making 30 grand for 1 fight, that's a win.

These guys aren't going on national tv to get "stanky legged" they are chasing a dream and doing what they love to do. If $100,000 a year isn't enough for you to do what you love then obviously you don't love it. The people at the top like Anderson Silva and Jones make a very comfortable living.

While I agree that the UFC can afford to pay fighters a bit more it doesn't mean we should all hate on them for paying people that can't break the top 5 80-100 grand a year because it's what everyone else is talking about. I live like a king off of $5,000/mo. I can do whatever I want whenever I want. So doubling that would make me a very happy camper.

The fighters in the UFC make way more than most of the ones not in the UFC (hell they make more than most Americans). Again, once you stop comparing UFC fighters to NBA/NFL players you see they make a pretty good living. The last fight card had what, 3 million views on free tv? A ppv is lucky it breaks a million. Compare that to the 20+ million that watch football every Sunday.

If a fighter is struggling to live off of 100 grand a year then they have much bigger problems in life than getting stanky legged.

Keep in mind that you living off of 60K a year is VERY different than a fighter trying to get by on that.

When you or I get paid by our employer, it's ours to keep after taxes. A fighter has to pay for health insurance, they have to pay for both the employer and employee portions of their FICA (that's 15.3% instead of 7.65%), they have to pay their trainers, if they bring in someone to help them prepare, they probably pay them a fee, equipment, etc etc etc.

When I worked in HR, the actual compensation costs for the employer was closer to 140% or more of their salary when you consider all the benefits and stuff, and they didn't have to pay the company for a place to work and training.

Plus, given the average lifespan of an MMA career, what they make has to stretch way beyond the next paycheck, so that's probably a much larger amount they SHOULD be putting away for post-fighting career income.

$150 to $200K is probably closer to a $60K - $70K office job, in terms of take home after expenses and taxes.

Keep in mind that you living off of 60K a year is VERY different than a fighter trying to get by on that.

When you or I get paid by our employer, it's ours to keep after taxes. A fighter has to pay for health insurance, they have to pay for both the employer and employee portions of their FICA (that's 15.3% instead of 7.65%), they have to pay their trainers, if they bring in someone to help them prepare, they probably pay them a fee, equipment, etc etc etc.

When I worked in HR, the actual compensation costs for the employer was closer to 140% or more of their salary when you consider all the benefits and stuff, and they didn't have to pay the company for a place to work and training.

Plus, given the average lifespan of an MMA career, what they make has to stretch way beyond the next paycheck, so that's probably a much larger amount they SHOULD be putting away for post-fighting career income.

$150 to $200K is probably closer to a $60K - $70K office job, in terms of take home after expenses and taxes.

Right but a decent sponsorship can cover most of if not all of the health bills. Maybe even some of the trainer fees. I highly doubt that a trainer will charge all of their fighters the same rate. I'm sure trainers are well aware of their fighter's purses and if a trainer takes so much it cripples your bank account then they are training with the wrong people.

Tibau making 3x Uriah is just plain wrong. People tune in to watch him fight, people tune out when tibau fights. Uriah is a star and he should be making the 50/50.

Also, conor making 170k when the gate was 3mil is laughable

what are you basing any of that on?

Back