McDonald vs Mizugaki?

bambammccoy

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Sounds fun to me.

I have Mizugaki pulling the upset but McDonald could crack anybody.

Mizugaki is now on a 5 fight win streak while McDonald seems to be falling right into gatekeeper position though he is still very young.

Is it time for this seemingly fan friendly match up?

I like it. Could go either way. Mizugaki is better technically but McDonald hits like a truck.

Good matchup, but does not make sense right now. Mizugaki just fought, and understandably would not be ready when McDonald is ready to go again. McDonald has already said he hopes/expects to be on either the San Jose (July 26) or Los Angeles (August 2) cards.

Plus, Mizugaki has won five (arguably seven) in a row, while McDonald (has dropped two of three; albeit to top flight competition).

McDonald should be given a "winnable" but legitimate opponent next (someone coming off a loss). Not a whole lot out there for him to face with that time frame unless he gets a newbie or someone like Kimura, possibly George Roop (who is coming off a win).

Mizugaki should get a top flight opponent (possibly #1 contender) bout (Cruz; or, could conceivably wait for winner of Dillashaw/Assuncao bout if UFC goes that way).

Last edited:
This seems like an awesome fight to make. Exciting match up, if Miz wins he can fight for a title after, and if McDonald wins he's in a good place in the division.

Did McDonald get some kind of injury when he fought Faber? Wondering why it's almost June and he still doesn't have a fight scheduled after fighting back in December.

Did McDonald get some kind of injury when he fought Faber? Wondering why it's almost June and he still doesn't have a fight scheduled after fighting back in December.

IIRC, he was nicked up with a few things going into the Faber bout (and certainly afterward). I think that the UFC suggested a take a bit of a break, work on some things and let the division evolve just a bit. He is still just a kid (23) with plenty of time to make another run. Losing two out of three, he is not going to be in title contention again until he strings some wins together. Hopefully, he will come back strong and get some momentum going again.

The more I think about it, McDonald vs Roop is a good matchup here. I know that Silva/Shelby usually try to match winner/winner and loser/loser, but in this case, McDonald gets to face a legitimate, though favorable opponent. Roop gets a step up again in competition. He is certainly hot/cold but is shown some real improvement. His chin and striking defense have always been an issue, but his size can cause problems if he can use his reach effectively.

Again, Mizugaki should get a top flight opponent (possibly #1 contender) bout (Cruz; or, could conceivably wait for winner of Dillashaw/Assuncao bout if UFC goes that way).

Mizugaki is very hit table, it's not trait you want when striking with macdonald

Pointless fight for Mizugaki, Has nothing to gain if he wins

No thanks. That fight makes no sense for Mizugaki. The only fights to make right now at the top of that division right now include TJ, Barao, Assuncao, and Mizugaki.

You can add add Faber to that list if he wins at 175 and depending what he decides to do in the division and you can also add Cruz provided he stays healthy and fights sometime this summer.

Mayday is in one of those positions where he either takes a fight with someone outside of the top 15, lobbies to fight Cruz, or waits. The UFC isn't too keen on matching someone up that just lost vs someone that just won so his options are limited.

No thanks. That fight makes no sense for Mizugaki. The only fights to make right now at the top of that division right now include TJ, Barao, Assuncao, and Mizugaki.

You can add add Faber to that list if he wins at 175 and depending what he decides to do in the division and you can also add Cruz provided he stays healthy and fights sometime this summer.

Mayday is in one of those positions where he either takes a fight with someone outside of the top 15, lobbies to fight Cruz, or waits. The UFC isn't too keen on matching someone up that just lost vs someone that just won so his options are limited.

faber already beat wineland, raphael, mizugaki, and mcdonald. faber is in limbo

Back