Mcdojo?

something about it is a bit fishy

Seems to be a karate/kickboxing school primarily. They have a MMA program, and a judo/bjj instructor (likely a judo guy who also trains bjj), but it's probably not a great MMA program.

That said, it doesn't appear they are claiming to be something they're not.

They appear to be very honest about the fact that they are not affiliated with any BJJ team.

That's certainly more than you can say for many schools out there.

So basically, it is what it is...whatever that is.

Hmmm okay. Well I mean I'm not planning on going pro or anything so this is all for fun. But I'm looking for more grappling stuff like jiu jitsu, not karate or kickboxing. Would it at least be worth to go there and check out the school for an introductory lesson?

If you're looking for grappling, I would say no. Here's why:

The page you linked to says the grappling is only for those enrolled in the MMA classes. And the MMA classes are probably very striking-oriented, given the background of the overall school. So at best you would get MMA grappling, and probably not every class. If it's your only option in the area then there's not much you can do about that, but if you're looking for bjj or pure submission grappling, I would look elsewhere.

Please note that although we do use Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu techniques, we are NOT a school nor are we a part of any Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu team or Belt Grading system. In our Jiu-Jitsu class at Columbia Martial Arts Academy we do wear full Judo/Jiu-Jitsu uniforms with the Belts Colors according to our internal Mixed Martial Arts System.

All students attending CMA Jiu-Jitsu class must be registered in CMA Mixed Martial Arts System.

Columbia Martial Arts Academy would like to extend our gratitude and respect to thank Professor Helio Gracie for revealing his incredibly effective system to the World of Martial Arts.

Columbia Martial Arts - Styles

Seems like a school with a clear vision and its head on straight, which is great.

But if you want the grappling experience, I would look for that, a grappling school.

There is a HUGE difference between legit, dedicated grapplers and places like this. The atmosphere is different, and the instruction / learning is just that much better.

Look for a BJJ school!

On one page there is a picture of them rolling with gi pants t-shirts and belts on. T-shirt with your belt? I've never seen that before, but I don't get out much either.:icon_chee

I wouldnt waste your time.

why don't you ask stephan kesting he looks to be on the front page and under instructors

I would think if kesting is a legit instructor there, you would get top notch jiu jitsu training

There's only one way to find out what a school is all about and that's to go check it out for yourself. Personally I've never understood how people who have never stepped foot inside a specific gym and know zero info about it can arrive at a conclusion as to it's "legitimacy".

Stephan Kesting is listed as an instructor, and I can't see him being involved in anything fraudulent so I'm using that as a basis to assume it's legit.

Stephan Kesting is listed as an instructor, and I can't see him being involved in anything fraudulent so I'm using that as a basis to assume it's legit.

This.

I can't believe it took until the second page for someone to mention Kesting. If he's involved there's got to be something good about the place.

Well I'll probably go check this place out, look like they have a free trial for newcomers anyways so that's good

I sent Stephan Kesting a PM so he can provide more information to the OP.

Back