Opinion McConnell to donors - single-payer is "far-left experiment," let's try repeal & replace again

Why do they call a system where everyone is forced to pay a "single payer"?

Why do they call a system where everyone is forced to pay a "single payer"?
It;s pretty simple - there is a single payer that pays providers for health services for everyone. By doing so, they can use their immense market power to negotiate prices. But i'm sure you new that already

It;s pretty simple - there is a single payer that pays providers for health services for everyone.
It's not a single payer when it is everyone on the paying end of taxes.

By doing so, they can use their immense market power to negotiate prices.
For that to work they would have to do it on a global scale. Otherwise either the health care personnel or the clients will look for better pastures and all who are left are the poor sobs who can't get help when they need it, but usually months later.

Healthcare is a necessity, a public good not a any other consumer good where you can purchase if you want or not. Can you show me the data on which first world countries have the best and most cost efficient healthcare that covers everyone. Out of the top ten, how many use some form of universal healthcare model and how many use the type you're a proponent of?

Roads are a public good...healthcare is not. I want everyone to have readily available quality healthcare and I'm not even against universal healthcare fundamentally. I'm just telling you what is going to happen in the US with the current political climate. If you want proper UH you should be arguing to get money out of politics because that's the main issue.

Our current system isn't great but it could be drastically improved without blowing up the entire thing. We absolutely have the best healthcare in the world it's just that not everyone has access to all of it. But anyone could walk in the ER of the best hospital in the country and you will be treated.

Congress does not write bills...K street does. You cannot keep ignoring that fact. For the bill to be effective you are taking the profit motive out of one of the biggest industries in the country. That means stocks crash overnight. That means voters retirements crash with them. That means millions of people out of work. That means healthcare quality will necessarily decline.

Despite all those issues, the biggest is that it can't be done, RIGHT. Pelosi would pass SOMETHING. But the devil is in the details when it comes to legislation and rest assured that bill would not be what is needed. I just don't know his you can have confidence in that group of losers on both sides pulling off something so monumental for the benefit of the people solely.

For that to work they would have to do it on a global scale. Otherwise either the health care personnel or the clients will look for better pastures and all who are left are the poor sobs who can't get help when they need it, but usually months later.

Perhaps in the reality you live in that’s what happens but here on planet earth many countries have single payer and that’s not what happens at all.

I find it funny you guys are so Clueless on this matter like it’s pre internet boom 1992.

As an outsider, the US health system is one of most confusing aspects of your country. Its so obviously corrupt and a bad deal for everyone, yet it remains the same. Just too much profit to be made, I guess.

I had one experience with the US health care system. Injured myself snowboarding and went for an xray. Cost me $900, which is nuts. Back home (New Zealand), I could have the same injury, same procedure and walk out without even thinking about a bill. However, I was willing to accept it because I'm a foreigner who doesn't pay taxes etc (and my travel insurance sorted most of it). Then I saw the actual invoice. I got charged $10 for two ibuprofen. That's fucking criminal. Just straight up theft.

Oh, and it took over a year to get the bill finally sorted because the hospitals billing department was in another state to the hospital, the doctors were independent contractors or something, and they couldn't email me an invoice, so they had to fax it to me. In 2013. A fucking FAX. Even when I provided my info, the hospital couldn't work out how to contact an international insurer, so it went to debt collection before being eventually sorted well over a year later.

It blows me away that you have citizens fighting to keep the current system.

American politics is fucking nuts.
Thing about America is that we are absolutely die hard attached to anything representative of class disparity. People will lay down in the streets and shriek themselves silly before accepting the idea that the people they think are below them on the ladder will be moving up. It's very easy for the wealthy to market class resentment downward to middle and lower-middle Americans. Healthcare isn't going to get fixed because many people don't want it to be fixed. A broken system is a privileged system where what you have is valued based upon who else doesn't have it.

Perhaps in the reality you live in that’s what happens but here on planet earth many countries have single payer and that’s not what happens at all.
I happen to live in one and that's precisely the case. Has been for the last three decades, at least.

Thing about America is that we are absolutely die hard attached to anything representative of class disparity. People will lay down in the streets and shriek themselves silly before accepting the idea that the people they think are below them on the ladder will be moving up. It's very easy for the wealthy to market class resentment downward to middle and lower-middle Americans. Healthcare isn't going to get fixed because many people don't want it to be fixed. A broken system is a privileged system where what you have is valued based upon who else doesn't have it.

Pretty much the exact same thing you see in regards to raising the minimum wage..

"If xxxx gets a better life then who will I have to look down on to feel better about myself"

Pretty much the exact same thing you see in regards to raising the minimum wage..

"If xxxx gets a better life then who will I have to look down on to feel better about myself"
{<jordan}

Sad but true.

The oligarchs in Murka have their slaves trained well.

Hilarious.

If that were true every doctor in Canada would have left and got a job in Murka and Rand Paul would never have been able to have his surgery in Canada. Yet for some reason it hasn't happened????

Last edited:
It is going to be interesting to see what future changes are coming to our health care system.

I don't imagine a single payer health care system will result in lower health care costs nor in general improved health. I don't believe that. Government spending on medical programs, Medicaid, Medicare, VA, already account for over half of America's spending on health care. In the past there hasn't been serious efforts to lower medical costs by the government. The same will happen in the future is my guess. To lower costs results in job losses, less votes and less donations to political parties. That is something to be avoided.

For the last few years in America, since Obamacare and more people having health insurance, life expectancy has declined. More health care has not resulted in longer life spans for Americans.

I suppose it is similar to our school systems. American's government run schools are some of the most expensive in the world. School prices continue to rise ever further. Yet test score results for students have remained the same for decades. Spending more has not resulted in better leaning. Nothing serious has been done to try and improve student education results or lower school costs.

In my opinion I imagine we can do better with health care than single payer health care. I don't care much for the current health care system. Most likely single payer will not be a great improvement. It wouldn't surprise me if it even made our dysfunctional health care system worse.

Roads are a public good...healthcare is not. I want everyone to have readily available quality healthcare and I'm not even against universal healthcare fundamentally. I'm just telling you what is going to happen in the US with the current political climate. If you want proper UH you should be arguing to get money out of politics because that's the main issue.

Our current system isn't great but it could be drastically improved without blowing up the entire thing. We absolutely have the best healthcare in the world it's just that not everyone has access to all of it. But anyone could walk in the ER of the best hospital in the country and you will be treated.

Congress does not write bills...K street does. You cannot keep ignoring that fact. For the bill to be effective you are taking the profit motive out of one of the biggest industries in the country. That means stocks crash overnight. That means voters retirements crash with them. That means millions of people out of work. That means healthcare quality will necessarily decline.

Despite all those issues, the biggest is that it can't be done, RIGHT. Pelosi would pass SOMETHING. But the devil is in the details when it comes to legislation and rest assured that bill would not be what is needed. I just don't know his you can have confidence in that group of losers on both sides pulling off something so monumental for the benefit of the people solely.

Walk in to Ben taub er Houston

14 hour wait for those pesky uninsured

This is one of the single dumbest posts I have ever read.

I find it funny you guys are so Clueless on this matter like it’s pre internet boom 1992.

I really had to double check when I read that. It was like something you hear from a 3rd grader.

These are the same people that cried about Aetna losing money on the exchanges when they literally had record profits.

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/aetna-to-drop-from-all-obamacare-markets-in-2018.3528069/

There's no rational argument behind it, just subservience and willful stupidity.

Don't forget a healthy dose of tribalism as well.

I mean, the numbers check out and it makes rational sense, but the side that wants that the most full of pink haired lesbians, latte drinkers, and minorities. Sorry, but their hands are tied.

This is one of the single dumbest posts I have ever read.
Thanks for the confirmation. The day I hear commie fanboys claiming I make sense is when I need to rethink stuff.

What I did not say was that another thing that happens is that the doctors begin practising their trade in private on the side while also working for the govt. That way those who can afford it can get pretty much immediate treatment, but the ones stuck on the collectively paid are required to wait months at a minimum unless they're in immediate threat of dying and sent home as soon as they are no longer in that state - not well or functional, mind you - just not immediately about to die.

To call what has happened extremely stupid I can agree with. To say stating what has happened is somehow stupid escapes me.

It;s pretty simple - there is a single payer that pays providers for health services for everyone. By doing so, they can use their immense market power to negotiate prices. But i'm sure you new that already
*knew

Obviously he didn't know, hence his question.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back