McCallum vs McClellan

He beat Julian Jackson, who wasnt even a proper MW....lets not glorify his record, he fought nobody
julian was absolutely a proper MW but even if he wasn’t, you’re saying the win is worthless because of 6 pounds. absolutely trash opinion

I say McCallum UD all day, maybe late stoppage. McClellan was a ferocious bomber but McCallum would defuse him no trouble. The Body Snatcher is one of the most underrated boxers in history, people don't understand how fucking good he really was.

Just look at what his peers say about him in the "Best I've Faced" series.

James Toney listed McCallum as being the Best Boxer, Best Fighter, Smartest Boxer, Best Defence, and having the Best Jab.

Michael Watson listed McCallum as having the Best Skills, Best Defence, and Smartest Boxer he faced.

Julian Jackson listed him as the Best Skills, Best Jab, and Smartest Boxer he faced.

Herol Graham listed him as the Best Overall and Smartest Boxer.

Steve Collins listed him as Best Boxer, Best Defence, Fastest Hands, Best Jab, and Smartest.

Sumbu Kalambay lists him as Best Jab, Best Skills, and tied for Best Overall

Gerald's size would be an issue. That motherfucker is one of the most underrated punchers of all time too. The Jamaican was one tough bastard tho, and his body work would've been an issue as it always was for his opponents. I gotta take Gerald but it's a great thread fr. No wrong answer.
Damn straight. A fight I would have really wanted to see. About as much as real fights we'll never see because they weren't filmed like Burley/Charles fights. Dream matches and fantasy matches are fun to debate until you remember you'll never know the outcome!

I say McCallum UD all day, maybe late stoppage. McClellan was a ferocious bomber but McCallum would defuse him no trouble. The Body Snatcher is one of the most underrated boxers in history, people don't understand how fucking good he really was.

James Toney listed McCallum as being the Best Boxer, Best Fighter, Smartest Boxer, Best Defence, and having the Best Jab.

Michael Watson listed McCallum as having the Best Skills, Best Defence, and Smartest Boxer he faced.

Julian Jackson listed him as the Best Skills, Best Jab, and Smartest Boxer he faced.

Steve Collins listed him as Best Boxer, Best Defence, Fastest Hands, Best Jab, and Smartest.

Toney credited him for shaping him as a fighter and changing his whole game. Even Roy gave him some props when he beat an almost retired McCallum, and that was a decent fight. McCallum had an interview up not so long ago slamming the fab four for avoiding him. Said he was insulted when Hagler took an opportunity to tell him he respected him because Hagler never gave such respect in form of an opportunity to fight.

And the Michael Watson fight was one of my all time favorites for how incredibly skilled McCallum looked in that fight. He was truly a complete technician.

McCallum by decision, 116-112.

Mike McCallum gave a prime RJJ one of the toughest fights of his career when he was nearing 40. The guy was the total package and deserves a lot more recognition than he gets.

Back