Mayweather's next opponent may be Khan?

McMurder

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Amir Khan's promotion team, Golden Boy promotions, has spoken of the looming possibility of a mega-money clash between Khan and Floyd Mayweather Jnr.

Khan, the current WBA world light-welterweight champion, is set for the third defence of his belt against Marcos Maidana on December 11. Maidana is the mandatory challenger for a bout to take place in Las Vegas.

However, the more significant negotiations are being made for a fight that would happen 12 months down the road, with Golden Boy keen to see Khan capitalise on the expected collapse of discussions between Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao.

The pair have spent years avoiding each other for what would be one of the most anticipated fights in boxing history, and talks to set up a spring 2011 showdown are not expected to end successfully. By then, Khan will have had the chance to add two more victories to his name, by which time Golden Boy predicts he will carry the necessary reputation to meet Mayweather.

"If we can't make Mayweather-Pacquiao in the spring it may be too late,' Golden Boy chief executive Richard Schaefer told the Times. "So this gives us time to build Amir into a pay-per-view super-star in the US."

A potential Khan v Mayweather encounter is being pencilled in for September 2011, and the British Olympic silver medallist insists he can cause a huge upset.

"I would love to fight Mayweather and believe I can end his unbeaten record," said Khan. "I have to focus on Maidana first, then the winner of [Timothy] Bradley and [Devon] Alexander. There are risks there but I am fully confident of winning both those fights."

Amir Khan being lined up for September Floyd Mayweather Jnr. clash | Boxing News | ESPN.co.uk

khan will lose to bradley in the meantime so the fight with mayweather won't happen. pbf would wreck him too

khan will lose to bradley in the meantime so the fight with mayweather won't happen. pbf would wreck him too

This.

Khan should avoid Mayweather for the meantime and focus on Maidana instead.

hahaha Khan would have to lose like 10 fights in a row and drop about 50 pounds before Mayweather would even CONSIDER fighting him, Floyd would prefer to have you either be way too old, way too small, or way too overmatched for him to take the fight.

I'll take Khan's educated jab over Bradley's flashiness any day. I think that jab also presents some problems for Floyd though I would agree that Floyd would likely overcome those problems.

This.

Khan should avoid Mayweather for the meantime and focus on Maidana instead.

Why should anybody avoid Mayweather?

a) he represents the biggest payday
b) he represents the biggest boost to your career should you pull it off.
c) there is very little shame in a loss to Floyd. Look at JMM. He fought very cowardly vs. Floyd, but it did not have an effect on his marketability. He is about as marketable now as he was before he fought Floyd.

It's win win.. DLH's jab gave Floyd some trouble before he stopped throwing it. Khans jab is as good or better than DLH's. If his chin holds up, he represents a serious challenge to floyd.

Great cause that's the fight the public is demanding.

Actually Mayweather's next fight is already scheduled..

State of Nevada vs. Mayweather coming soon

khan is too young, too fast and too big for mayweather too fight him.

he doesnt fit mayweathers typical opponents. OLD, SLOW, SMALLER. you gotta be atleast 2 of the 3 in order to fight mayweather.

check his last 5 opponents.

shane-old, slow

jmm-old, slow, smaller

hatton-slow, smaller

de la hoya- SLOWER, old (for some odd reason... de la hoya gave him the fight, whatever this is a different discussion)

and carlos who? BALDOMIR!!!- old, AND SUPER SLOW!!!

mayweather would never fight khan. he has a problem with people with good jabs and khan has arguably the best jab in the game at the moment.

hahaha Khan would have to lose like 10 fights in a row and drop about 50 pounds before Mayweather would even CONSIDER fighting him, Floyd would prefer to have you either be way too old, way too small, or way too overmatched for him to take the fight.

i wouldnt be surprised to hear kj noons in talks with mayweather....

I'll take Khan's educated jab over Bradley's flashiness any day. I think that jab also presents some problems for Floyd though I would agree that Floyd would likely overcome those problems.

I don't think Khan jab will be enough to hold off Bradley. I see Bradley pulling Khan into a fight on the inside, where he would work Khan to a victory.

I don't think anything Floyd-related should be posted on sherdog anymore
The seething Mayweather-hate on here is just ridiculous

Fans just want to see fighters step up to the plate. It is after all their job.
A fighter that talks trash, but won't fight ... now that's ridiculous.

Normally I would agree, but with Mayweather it's just. Either he puts the pen to the contract or he doesn't. Unbeaten records be damned; I'd have more respect for him if he fought Pac and lost than if he kept up this childish bullshit.

@ chino0503

regarding floyd fighting old, slow, and small guys...
LOL, that's some funny stuff, and true....

As with other good opponents out there, they simply just don't fit floyd's criteria.

Cotto = not old, not slow, not small ----> no go
Clottey = not old, not slow, not small ----> no go
Margarito = not old, little slow, but taller ----> still no go
Martinez = not old, not slow, taller ----> no thanks
P Williams = not old, not slow, very tall ----> definitely no
Pacquiao = not old, fast as sht, and is a beast ----> hell no!! stay away, take a very long vacation..

Mosley is slow apparently??

And apparently while some guys are shitty wins on Mayweather's record, those same guys look amazing on Pacquiao's resume (not to mention that two of the three fought Pacquiao after they lost to Mayweather).

:rolleyes:

mosley = not slow, but same size and OLD. ...still 2 out of 3 in the Mayweather criteria, and still took too long for him to fight Mosley..

Mosley gave everything he had in the first 2 rounds, and in my opinion it wasn't because Mayweather started to do better, it was because Mosley had nothing left.. (all I saw was lots of hugging, pushing, and ....jittering)...

most people will look fast against the likes of margarito and mayorga. 154 lbs weight drained mora was wayyyyy faster than shane. and mayweather is leaps and bounds fast than him also.... so yeah, u can say hes slow.... AT THIS POINT OF HIS CAREER

Fans just want to see fighters step up to the plate. It is after all their job.
A fighter that talks trash, but won't fight ... now that's ridiculous.

Normally I would agree, but with Mayweather it's just. Either he puts the pen to the contract or he doesn't. Unbeaten records be damned; I'd have more respect for him if he fought Pac and lost than if he kept up this childish bullshit.

I get what you're talking about, but now there's people saying that Mayweather only fights slow, smaller guys, and that his record is apparently full of shit.

That's just stupid, I want to see Pacquiao vs Mayweather too
but in the mean time, I can be content without attacking anybody's record.

Back