Mayweather/Maidana ppv projections 800-900k

Current PPV model, not the concept of paying for boxing content.

Nobody serious thinks this PPV model will last. WWE and UFC aren't attempting their subscription models because they think PPV will be strong forever.

Boxing's current model will last longer than those two, but not forever.

The wwe network has been a flop, they used to make 70 million in one night on Wrestlemania. They only have 600,000 subscribers at 10 bucks a month, that means they made 6 million during the time they normally made 70 million, that's a 63 million dollar loss in a month.

PPV will never go away because there will always be fights we'll pay 60 bucks for.

Just imagine how bad it would have been without the undercard

The wwe network has been a flop, they used to make 70 million in one night on Wrestlemania. They only have 600,000 subscribers at 10 bucks a month, that means they made 6 million during the time they normally made 70 million, that's a 63 million dollar loss in a month.

PPV will never go away because there will always be fights we'll pay 60 bucks for.

You're forgetting about all the people who still bought the PPV and the people would got a WWE Network subscription but wouldn't have bought WM at $70

Just imagine how bad it would have been without the undercard

You're forgetting about all the people who still bought the PPV and the people would got a WWE Network subscription but wouldn't have bought WM at $70
You're right but I looked it up and Wrestlemania had 1 million viewers, 600k on the network and 400k on traditional ppv. I can't see any boxing promoter taking tens of millions of losses just to charge less.

Boxingscene has also come out and said their sources indicate 900k tops for ppv buys

Floyd Mayweather was issued his toughest tasks to date, both in and out of the ring regarding his May 3 win over Marcos Maidana at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. He survived his test in the ring, fending off a stiff challenge from a surprisingly competitive Maidana. The final pay-per-view returns, however, tell a bit of a different tale.

Those closest to the event continue to remain hush on the official amount, though all indications suggest final numbers much closer to 900,000 units sold than the targeted — or at least hoped for — 1 million mark.

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=77979

They have been slow so far, but they will pick up - especially WWE. UFC may have just been largely a fad anyway; we will have to wait and see how resilient it is. Mixed Martial Arts may exist on a much smaller scale in the future, or it may not. WWE has a proven ability to adapt and will be fine.

You cannot look at these 'failures' and say that the experiment is over. The fact these two companies launched the networks in the first place is proof in itself that they know the current model has a limited shelf life.

The current boxing PPV model will last longer than the other two because boxing audiences do seem willing to pay for big fights. But it won't last forever and most people know that.

Fans will still be paying for boxing content one way or another, but the days of $75 price-tags for single events will be gone.

I think the numbers for both Pac and May are the publics way of telling them to face each other or retire.. There's a couple guys out there that they could generate money with.. but I think the mainstream that got drug into this boxing thing by the promise of a super event.. our eras ali-frazier... are all leaving

Yep. Until this past year or so, Showtime was always considered quality but lesser compared to HBO.

Now they consistently put on better cards than HBO.

i dont think the average fan cares whether it's hbo or showtime, ppv is ppv in their eyes and the average fan isn't buying either for boxing.

lol wha average fans don't even watch the undercard in boxing. this would have done same buys with only the main event

Thanks for the bullshit Bob Arum.
I got a friend whose been getting into boxing lately that was more excited to see Amir Khan (I dont know why) on that fight card more than anyone else.

If you put a good undercard, sales will go up.

lol wha average fans don't even watch the undercard in boxing. this would have done same buys with only the main event

Thats not true at all.

The Mayweather/Canelo card sold well because the undercard was solid.

Thats not true at all.

i dont buy this at all. undercard maybe added 100k buys at the very absolute best imo

Who the hell still pays attention to estimates or "media sources indicate" theories? We'll know whether or not this perceived mismatch bombed when Mayweather chooses his next opponent. He won't choose another perceived no hoper if the Maidana numbers tanked. Remember when Showtime announced they werent happy with the Mayweather vs Guerrero numbers he had to make the Canelo fight next to break even.

No PPV will ever reach 3 million.

Really? Does every single post of yours HAVE to be about how you think Floyd is greater than Pacquiao?

I mean, i don't like Floyd at all (though i respect his skill), but you won't see me posting about how Pac is better than Floyd because he sold more PPV's. Really, who cares? I have much more important things to do and think about than worry about every single thing either of them do with their lives.

I would think, and hope, that you do too.

Thats not true at all.

"Not true at all", that is ridiculous.

He definitely not at all wrong about what he said.

Sure, the hardcore fans (like most people in this forum) care about the undercard but i would definitely be willing to bet that a large amount of people who purchase the PPV's don't really give a shit about it, if we were to take a poll or quiz them on it.

Throughout the years, i have seen/met a lot of casual fans and the large majority of them don't care about the undercard. Infact, most of the time they don't even know who is fighting on the undercard, let alone think about it when deciding if they want to buy the PPV or not.

Most of them see who is in the main fight, and decide right away if they are interested in it or not.

Is it stupid? Yes, but that is the way it is if we are being honest.

Hey non boxing fan, quit telling the average boxing fan what we like.

You're coming across as a big dummy on this thread

Back