Mayweather-Maidana Just watched for the 1st time

DeJulez

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Had to work at the time of the fight so I kept up with round updates and everything.
After the fight I basically read everything from analysts to idiotic fans and their input so I had a good knowledge of what happen in the fight without seeing it.

Now that I have seen the fight, I came away more unimpressed with Maidana.
The way everyone made it sound was as if Maidana almost won this fight and that Floyd had to really dig deep to get the win.
Maidana came no where near winning this fuckin fight.
I had it 117-111 or 9-3 Floyd.
The only rounds I gave Maidana were 1,5,8.
Round 4 was a close one and could go either way, but Mayweather landed cleaner shots so I gave him that round.
Round 8 was close and honestly I thought about giving it to Floyd in the beginning, but then rewatched it and gave it to Maidana.

What I think happened was that we saw more of a brawl than were use to seeing. Most of the time we see slick movements and precision with Floyd and his opponents not the wild man swinging and bully-esque style of Maidana. I think some people are mistaking the wild punches of Maidana as landing and being in charge of the fight when in actuality those punches aren't landing and Floyd is the one in control of the fight.

I will say that Floyd was uncomfortable at times but never in any real danger. Maidana is a different fighter and brought a different type of style to Floyd. I wouldnt call it his toughest fight either. I think Cotto brought more to the table when he fought Floyd than Maidana did. I think Zab Judah was a tougher fight than Maidana was as well.

No need for Mayweather-Maidana II. Id rather see a Mayweather-Khan with Broner-Maidana II on the undercard

The question I think is why was he not in real danger... Like I said the night of the fight.. Henry Akinwande got dq'd for holding Lennox Lewis too much.. Mayweather held all night and never even got a warning.. the deck is being stacked in his favor when you allow that... also the elbow tactic is just as dirty as a headbutt imo..

But Im a realist.. none of these things will be enforced because Floyd will just retire if they start taking his advantages away.. and boxing needs his marketability while young guns develop to fill his and Pacs shoes...

but I think we'd have very possibly seen him in a lot of trouble if not for the constant holding..

I disagree that Zab was a tougher fight.. Mayweather was uncomfortable for 2 or 3 rounds vs. Zab.. he was uncomfortable for 10 or 11 vs. Maidana.. yes he overcame..but he only settled in and looked comfortable in there on rare occasions.

Maidana landed more shots to the back of Floyds head then he did to the front

The question I think is why was he not in real danger... Like I said the night of the fight.. Henry Akinwande got dq'd for holding Lennox Lewis too much.. Mayweather held all night and never even got a warning.. the deck is being stacked in his favor when you allow that... also the elbow tactic is just as dirty as a headbutt imo..

But Im a realist.. none of these things will be enforced because Floyd will just retire if they start taking his advantages away.. and boxing needs his marketability while young guns develop to fill his and Pacs shoes...

but I think we'd have very possibly seen him in a lot of trouble if not for the constant holding..

I disagree that Zab was a tougher fight.. Mayweather was uncomfortable for 2 or 3 rounds vs. Zab.. he was uncomfortable for 10 or 11 vs. Maidana.. yes he overcame..but he only settled in and looked comfortable in there on rare occasions.

Nah, Floyd gave Maidana plenty of chances to tee off, he only started initiating the holding when he felt shots in the back of his head, because you know, that's illegal and can be dangerous as fuck.

Maidana was trying to get behind Floyd to come back over with a right hand or left hook and that's just plain dirty. Sensible tactics for him but you can't knock Floyd for holding him and trying to stop him doing it.

Nah, Floyd gave Maidana plenty of chances to tee off, he only started initiating the holding when he felt shots in the back of his head, because you know, that's illegal and can be dangerous as fuck.

Maidana was trying to get behind Floyd to come back over with a right hand or left hook and that's just plain dirty. Sensible tactics for him but you can't knock Floyd for holding him and trying to stop him doing it.

Floyd tended to use defensive moves to stay "skinny", which meant he often turn his body away, exposing his back and the back of his head. You can't really fault Maidana at least half of the time where Floyd was basically turn the back of his head into the shot.

Floyd tended to use defensive moves to stay "skinny", which meant he often turn his body away, exposing his back and the back of his head. You can't really fault Maidana at least half of the time where Floyd was basically turn the back of his head into the shot.

Making your self 'skinny' is just good defense, it doesn't mean your opponent is allowed to hit you on the back of the head. Maidana couldn't get through the defense without getting countered unless he charged with his head and threw his right hand from an angle that would hit Floyd in the back of the head.

Cotto managed to attack Floyd without fouling him consistently. No excuses for Maidana's fouling.

To be fair, the ref was a huge can but at least his non calls were consistent to both fighters.

Joe Cortez did a really good job of "Explaining" Floyd's elbow and says its not dirty cause Floyd raises it and Marcos was running it to on his. Floyd was never coming forward with the elbow,so No Foul. Marcos was fouling when he was charging in with his head and cause the cut.

Making your self 'skinny' is just good defense, it doesn't mean your opponent is allowed to hit you on the back of the head. Maidana couldn't get through the defense without getting countered unless he charged with his head and threw his right hand from an angle that would hit Floyd in the back of the head.

Cotto managed to attack Floyd without fouling him consistently. No excuses for Maidana's fouling.

Cotto stylistically different from Maidana though. One is a wild brawler, and the other is a discipline boxer-puncher. You cannot really hold them to the same standard. And also, Maidana didn't hit Broner on the back of the head (noticeably, anyway) did he? And in that fight Broner tried to get skinny too. While getting skinny obviously doesn't allow one to hit the other to the back of the head, like i already said if Maidana aimed for Floyd's jaw and Floyd get skinny and turn his jaw away, expose the back of the head while the overhand was en-route, then whose fault is that? I just conclude that it is half of Floyd's fault for trying to be skinny and then exposing his back to Maidana, and half is Maidana for being uncontrollable with his shots.

The back of the head shots came during the holding.. imo.. if you lean forward mid punch.. it is on you..you have changed where the punch is going to land..and most of those back of the head shots happened just like that..it wasn't like Maidana was aiming for the back of the head..he just wasnt stopping when May clenched and exposed only the back of his head..

To be fair, the ref was a huge can but at least his non calls were consistent to both fighters.

well they were consistant but the stacked the deck towards floyd's particular game.. Maidana needs to be rewarded when he gets on the inside..not clinched up and thrown back out so he has to continuously expend more energy for little to no payoff.

basically allowing the holding takes away the option for a grinder to beat May.. because they can't grind..they just have to hope one of the punches on the way in lands perfectly..which May is too good for..

All this tells me is you gave every close rd to Floyd. Doesn't change the fact the fight was close.

Cotto stylistically different from Maidana though. One is a wild brawler, and the other is a discipline boxer-puncher. You cannot really hold them to the same standard. And also, Maidana didn't hit Broner on the back of the head (noticeably, anyway) did he? And in that fight Broner tried to get skinny too. While getting skinny obviously doesn't allow one to hit the other to the back of the head, like i already said if Maidana aimed for Floyd's jaw and Floyd get skinny and turn his jaw away, expose the back of the head while the overhand was en-route, then whose fault is that? I just conclude that it is half of Floyd's fault for trying to be skinny and then exposing his back to Maidana, and half is Maidana for being uncontrollable with his shots.

Again, your opponent having a good defense is no excuse for hitting him in the back of the head. Same applies for Maidana's offensive limitations, if he is a wild brawler then that is his fault. A lot of the time Maidana was jump up and trying to bring the right down over the shoulder towards the ear, that's illegal.

And Maidana did hit Broner in the back of the head quite a bit actually, and Broner doesn't get as skinny as Floyd, he's much more square on.

In answer to your question, it's Maidana's fault because Floyd wasn't showing his back to him, he was just rolling. Maidana decided that he was going to ignore that and hit whatever he could, that's on him.

The back of the head shots came during the holding.. imo.. if you lean forward mid punch.. it is on you..you have changed where the punch is going to land..and most of those back of the head shots happened just like that..it wasn't like Maidana was aiming for the back of the head..he just wasnt stopping when May clenched and exposed only the back of his head..

Come on now, of course he was aiming for the back of the head, that was the gameplan before the fight and it was the gameplan Garcia kept reinforcing every time Chino sat his arse on the stool.

Chino was throwing his right hand to try and get around the shoulder, he was jumping up and slashing down. When they were clinching, Floyd wasn't moving that much, but Maidana continually tried to hit whatever he could, when you do that you are bound to foul and he did, consistently.

I completely excuse the back of the head stuff because Floyd is exposing that part of himself to gain a break from the ref.. he's taking advantage of a loophole in the sport..well it's a loophole once you combine it with the ref allowing constant holding.. So most fighters would have to use their feet and hands to keep back to distance.. May gets to clench and turn his head to gain a break...

Both fighters tried to break each others arms.. both fighters hit low.. both fighters (Maidana eventually followed Mayweather's lead after several complaints to the ref) used their elbows on the inside to a)create space and b)discourage attack in that direction with the risk of getting cut by an elbow...

It was dirty on both fighters accounts.

Come on now, of course he was aiming for the back of the head, that was the gameplan before the fight and it was the gameplan Garcia kept reinforcing every time Chino sat his arse on the stool.

Chino was throwing his right hand to try and get around the shoulder, he was jumping up and slashing down. When they were clinching, Floyd wasn't moving that much, but Maidana continually tried to hit whatever he could, when you do that you are bound to foul and he did, consistently.

That was an overhand right..Tim Witherspoon was a master with it.. it's a great punch if done right.

Floyd absolutely turned his head in the clinch.. now.. Im not saying this wasn't smart on Floyd's part.. but I am saying that he is smart enough to realize the result of doing so is going to be a slapping shot in the back of the head as opposed to the side of the face..and a break from the ref.

Again, your opponent having a good defense is no excuse for hitting him in the back of the head. Same applies for Maidana's offensive limitations, if he is a wild brawler then that is his fault. A lot of the time Maidana was jump up and trying to bring the right down over the shoulder towards the ear, that's illegal.

And Maidana did hit Broner in the back of the head quite a bit actually, and Broner doesn't get as skinny as Floyd, he's much more square on.

In answer to your question, it's Maidana's fault because Floyd wasn't showing his back to him, he was just rolling. Maidana decided that he was going to ignore that and hit whatever he could, that's on him.

Conversely, your opponent have a good offense is no excuse to try to get skinny and get yourself to expose the back of the head. You cannot really just look at Chino's fault and completely ignored how Floyd give the back of his head into the direction of Chino's punches.

Just to add a point.. when I fought in the ams in my younger days I did a lot of upper body movement because Im short for my division.. sometimes the ref would stop the fight and tell me I was not duck too low or bend weave exposing the back of my head..

imo..they rightfully put it on me.. if I would have got hit in the back of my head it would have been my fault.

well they were consistant but the stacked the deck towards floyd's particular game.. Maidana needs to be rewarded when he gets on the inside..not clinched up and thrown back out so he has to continuously expend more energy for little to no payoff.

basically allowing the holding takes away the option for a grinder to beat May.. because they can't grind..they just have to hope one of the punches on the way in lands perfectly..which May is too good for..

Couldnt disagree more in regards to favoring Floyds tactics to Maidanas. Floyd got away with his and so did Maidana. There was no favoring either of them.

Neither was called so I cant understand how one could say there was favoritism. It wad a dirty fight all around and the ref let them have it out.

That was an overhand right..Tim Witherspoon was a master with it.. it's a great punch if done right.

Floyd absolutely turned his head in the clinch.. now.. Im not saying this wasn't smart on Floyd's part.. but I am saying that he is smart enough to realize the result of doing so is going to be a slapping shot in the back of the head as opposed to the side of the face..and a break from the ref.

It's also an illegal punch if it lands behind the ear, which it did, continually.

Floyd was tucking his head in tight to Maidana's chest, that's called defense. It wasn't a case of him turning away from the punches and catching them on the back of the head. Floyd was using his defense take away the range and the only thing Maidana could do was slap the side and back of his head, which is illegal.

Just because the option to hit the back of the head is there, doesn't mean you should, it doesn't change the legality of it. Maidana's tactics weren't accidental, he planned to hit whatever he could and that meant he aimed for Mayweather's head, because it was often the only option. His limitation as a fighter don't give him a pass here. Cotto managed to hit Floyd when he was holding and rolling without fouling all the time, which is proof enough that Floyd isn't the cause.

Couldnt disagree more in regards to favoring Floyds tactics to Maidanas. Floyd got away with his and so did Maidana. There was no favoring either of them.

Neither was called so I cant understand how one could say there was favoritism. It wad a dirty fight all around and the ref let them have it out.

because by not calling Floyd's holding, you put Maidana in a position where he has to cheat to be effective..or accept that he will not be effective.. You change how the fight can take place because Mayweather doesn't have to work to get to distance..he just has to clinch and wait for the ref to give him his distance for free...

All short guys with boxing experience understand how much of an advantage distance is..

Back