Maycee Barber: Is her stock up or down?

How have your feelings about Maycee changed?

• Total voters
She'll heal up and be fine and comeback to a weak division. Top 5, Top 3 is not out of reach for her.

Agreed, but for all the hype upon her being a top prospect and the "future" of the division, and WMMA...

She's just not good. It's that simple. She's very far away from where she needs to be. Yes she can be top 3-5 but that's just a function of Women's Flyweight being a complete and utter joke.

The top 5 (not counting champ) is: Kaitlyn Chookagian, Jessica Eye, Joanne Calderwood, Jennifer Maia, and Roxanne Modafferi.

That's laughable. Valentina is on an entirely different level than any of those fighters, none of those fighters would break top 7-8, probably not even top 10 at Straweight.

So yeah Barber could easily get to top 3-5, but what does that even mean? That is so arbitrary when you consider the colossal gap between Valentina/Joanna/Suarez/Rose/Zhang

Don't like her attitude but I only really care about the fight. Skill wise she's still the same in my book. I'm so happy for Roxy but can't really judge Barber's performance fairly since she got hurt so early.

Agreed, but for all the hype upon her being a top prospect and the "future" of the division, and WMMA...

She's just not good. It's that simple. She's very far away from where she needs to be. Yes she can be top 3-5 but that's just a function of Women's Flyweight being a complete and utter joke.

The top 5 (not counting champ) is: Kaitlyn Chookagian, Jessica Eye, Joanne Calderwood, Jennifer Maia, and Roxanne Modafferi.

That's laughable. Valentina is on an entirely different level than any of those fighters, none of those fighters would break top 7-8, probably not even top 10 at Straweight.

So yeah Barber could easily get to top 3-5, but what does that even mean? That is so arbitrary when you consider the colossal gap between Valentina/Joanna/Suarez/Rose/Zhang

I agree pretty much agree to everything you said. I'm just saying that's probably how far she's going to go in her MMA career. I highly doubt if she could beat Valentina.

Also the ground game thing...Barber was a blue belt (posing as a black belt at times) when she was 15 apparently. She's 21 now. I just can't wrap my brain around how he inept she was on the ground considering that...did she get a gifted blue belt and then barely train for 6 years? Just confused here.

I think she was a blue belt from that bullshit online Gracie academy. Also remember that she not only posed as a black belt, but she was also her gym's main BJJ instructor. Even by the worst Mc Dojo's standards, having a 15 year old kid with a blue belt as a teacher is insane.

Another issue I would assume is that women don't have good rolling partners really because let's face it...90-99% of guys in the gym are going to be physically stronger and more athletic.
This also makes it harder to grade or judge women. And add in size issues...

I know a legit Brown Belt(won no gi worlds). She's 110 lbs. How the fuck do you grade someone like that if they don't compete?

Last edited:
I mean it definitely should come as a surprise considering the odds were massively favoring Barber.

Also the ground game thing...Barber was a blue belt (posing as a black belt at times) when she was 15 apparently. She's 21 now. I just can't wrap my brain around how he inept she was on the ground considering that...did she get a gifted blue belt and then barely train for 6 years? Just confused here.

She is probably too much in love with knocking people out than caring about grappling.

@Rvd Slmr

Okay well for some reason I can't reply to comments. New to posting here and I'm not sure why, hopefully I'm not semi-banned or something...not sure why I would be. Anyway...

Well I didn't realize she was the main instructor. That's embarrassing. Still I am now conflicted seeing the Malcolm in the Middle pic in this thread vs her, she has very serious cauliflower ears. So she had to have done grappling...how is she so bad? Is Roxy that good for a woman?

It appears she is STILL a blue belt to this day. So it's been 5-7 years, how is that even possible? You think she would rank up to purple after say 6 years and MMA success + a UFC run. Just odd. Her skills were poor regardless of "belt".

@3879

Yeah well that's the problem I guess. It's the fact that it's a 110lb woman too, so that person is just inherently going to be much weaker than a 110lb man generally at least. Idk, you can sort of tell how good someone is in a flow roll or with less strength, but you really can't without going 90-100% sparring/rolling.

But my issue is more so...just the horrible fundamentals and technique on display. You can at least see that and fix that. Are you going to promote someone to purple, or even blue belt if they don't have a clue how to post / create space / escape side control, retain guard? Or in Maycee Barber's case doing the exact WRONG things on the ground at times...as an alleged 6-7+ year BJJ practitioner, seems very very odd.

Then, she touched the mic. Disrespectful. Blunders a bit. I’m willing to let it slide. Now articles and interviews are coming out where she openly bashed Her opponent saying things like “we all know who the better fighter is, I was just unlucky”. She went from gaining me as a fan, to completely turning me off completely. What are your thoughts? How do you feel about her now?

Lol you made this up. When she touched the mic she said it was an honor to share the cage with Roxanne. She hasn't done any interviews since. All she has done is post a pic of her and Roxanne on her social media and thanked her again.

Lol @ conversation about a WMMA fighter being meaningful.
<DirkMavs>

It's even more sad when you're in a thread that has a clear WMMA title taking the time to make post's saying how meaningless talking about it is.

kept tryin to win with 1 leg, i gotta give her credit. wasnt finished either

@3879

But my issue is more so...just the horrible fundamentals and technique on display. You can at least see that and fix that. Are you going to promote someone to purple, or even blue belt if they don't have a clue how to post / create space / escape side control, retain guard? Or in Maycee Barber's case doing the exact WRONG things on the ground at times...as an alleged 6-7+ year BJJ practitioner, seems very very odd.

Got it. Completely agree.

Regarding her level - I don't think she's been doing much BJJ, gi or otherwise. That would humble her more. She also was an online blue belt, which meant that she learned everything off of a video, not a teacher.

A more charitable explanation - I've heard that your BJJ skill temporarily drops a belt every time you get hit. This was her first jump in competition.

Regarding her belt itself, IBJJF (which most people follow) now requires at least 50% of the time in the gi for promotion. Even if she had been doing BJJ for 6+ years, she might not have enough gi time.

How could her stock go UP, when she lost as a 1,08 favorite?!?

And it's not like her injury could be blamed for the loss entirely... she clearly lost even round 1 while her knee appeared to be good.

@3897

Yeah well that makes a lot more sense. I didn't know she got her belt online without actually training and just (most likely) sloppily and incorrectly performing moves on her sister and father, or something.

In regards to IBJJF, well I'm sure no one actually follows that rule. I.e. if Barber did 90% no-gi and 10% gi (or even just straight up 0% gi) she would get promoted if she was good on the ground or won a few MMA fights and looked good there.

Regardless, she just looks bad. She could still be a super high level sandbagged blue belt, but she isn't. She looks like a white belt with 6-12 months of casual+ dedication.

It's even more sad when you're in a thread that has a clear WMMA title taking the time to make post's saying how meaningless talking about it is.
Bucky is that you?

Showed toughness sure. She was losing before the injury though and it's not as if the injury came from some illegal move.

Post fight interviews I could give af about, bad or good.

I still like her more than before the fight. I still don't actually like her though.

She seems like a profoundly unlikeable person, although I respect her toughness and will to win.

I had hoped that the loss would humble her a bit, but it seems she will need to lose another one. I think she is surrounded by Yes-men, mainly her father.

Her father's name is Bucky, BTW.
Bucky Barber.

Mr bucky barber (and mayce) are from a cow town /college town... Fort Collins, Colorado.
An hour and some north of Denver (were I live)
Bunch of hicks and cows along the highway. That might explain the' bucky " name Redneck-meme.jpg

Back