Mayberry-toned MMA Hall of Fame discussion (is it possible here?)

CoffeeAndBeer

OG from 1993
@Silver
Reaction score
Can we have a genuine, conscientious, in-depth caliber MMA Hall of Fame discussion here on Sherdog, please? It's not something you can have on the main mma boards.

>>> All things MMA Hall of Fame <<<

Discuss the criteria/voting process you'd implement
Discuss comparisons to Halls of Fame in other sports
Discuss who belongs, who doesn't
Discuss how exclusive/inclusive an MMA Hall of Fame should be
... etc...

Without getting into pissing contest type of stuff, but rather actually debate.

If anyone mentioned McGregor you know it's not possible.

GOAT p4p fighter: AS
GOAT HW: Fedor (1st ballot HOF to big nog & werdum)
GOAT LHW: Bones (1st ballot HOF to rampage, wandy, & chuck for paving the way)
GOAT MW: AS (1st ballot HOF to Ace & Hendo)
GOAT WW: GSP (1st ballot HOF to hughes)
GOAT LW: BJ Penn (1st ballot HOF edgar)

criteria= dominance, wins, lvl of competition, & how they changed the sport. for example fedor changed the sport by being multi-proficient in all areas of mma and showing that HWs must have multiple disciplines to dominate

some other factors r intangibles, heart, & willingness to fight the best

GOAT LHW: Bones (1st ballot HOF to rampage, wandy, & chuck for paving the way)
GOAT MW: AS (1st ballot HOF to Ace & Hendo)
GOAT WW: GSP (1st ballot HOF to hughes)
GOAT LW: BJ Penn (1st ballot HOF edgar)

criteria= dominance, wins, lvl of competition, & how they changed the sport. for example fedor changed the sport by being multi-proficient in all areas of mma and showing that HWs must have multiple disciplines to dominate

some other factors r intangibles, heart, & willingness to fight the best

Um, this guy pretty much nailed it.

I think Fedor's competition was significantly higher level than Silvas. Silvas was more of a steady trickle of decent challengers, Fedor fought some living legends (amongst a few cans.)

I think Fedor's competition was significantly higher level than Silvas. Silvas was more of a steady trickle of decent challengers, Fedor fought some living legends (amongst a few cans.)

true but i cant overlook dat AS ufc dominance streak. i think he peaked @ just the rite time

most ppl dont have fedor @ the top of GOAT lists :(

also dont laugh @ this watchmojo list for putting up bruce lee XD

also this vid

prob fake but hilarious

true but i cant overlook dat AS ufc dominance streak. i think he peaked @ just the rite time

most ppl dont have fedor @ the top of GOAT lists :(

I think he peaked at just the WRONG time. He didn't get to fight truly great (good???) middle weights. Look at his last few fights:

Stephan Bonnar -- joke fight
Chael Sonnen -- serious threat but he shouldn't have been
Yushin Okami -- mini-van of wins
Vitor Belfort -- impressive win (in theory? I think it is but VB may be highly overrated at this stage) regardless it was over in a single strike.
Chael Sonnen -- see above
Demian Maia -- this was embarrassing
Forrest Griffin -- this was embarrassing
Thales Leites -- ok
Patrick C

I think he peaked at just the WRONG time. He didn't get to fight truly great (good???) middle weights. Look at his last few fights:

Vitor Belfort -- impressive win (in theory? I think it is but VB may be highly overrated at this stage) regardless it was over in a single strike.
Thales Leites -- ok
Patrick C

Thales Leites -- ok
Patrick C

well perspectives. most casual fans will recognize AS as the most dominant ufc fighter ever and fedor as the guy who nvr came to the ufc

hardcore fans have mixed opinions on the subject. some will say he ducked the ufc while others will say he fought the best HWs @ the time (which isnt incorrect. pride had the best HWs. i think tim sylvia was ruling the ufc hw division durin dat time)

Sylvia and Arlovski both. Ironically Arlovski used to be a "joke" on Fedor's hitlist, and now he's a legit win. Dude was always a major win for Fedor.

He unquestionably defeated the best heavyweights of his time, the reason people question Fedor now is because he made so much money he didn't need the UFC by the time Brock took over. If he had defeated Brock (which in hindsight he would have easily), he could have retired the GOAT. Instead he stayed in the game too long and lost to some people I think most now regard as the best of all time. Werdum, Silva, and Henderson are not people you'd be embarrassed about losing to after you should have retired.

And Franklin of course. Silva back in the day was an animal.

True.

I was at the Griffin fight in Philly and everyone was cheering for Forrest except for me and my boy.

The old dude next to me said "why don't you like Forrest?"

I responded "I like him but you're about to see why I like Silva more."

After the fight he said "wow you were right."

I also picked Teh Chris over Silva because I saw him coming up.

Yup. I've got Silva as #2 of all time through pure talent. Fedor #1 via opposition faced (and weirdly long rule.)

And I'm probably doing a disservice to GSP, who has possibly the post impressive resume in all of MMA, maybe Jon Jones can compete.

Yup. I've got Silva as #2 of all time through pure talent. Fedor #1 via opposition faced (and weirdly long rule.)

And I'm probably doing a disservice to GSP, who has possibly the post impressive resume in all of MMA, maybe Jon Jones can compete.

I'll get called a Noob but for me Jones is the GOAT.

I think Fedor having a close fight with Arona is worse than Jones having a close fight with Gus.

Back