Movies Mayberry Movie Club Week 7: Happiness (1998)

What's your rating for this film?

• 2 Stars: Skip it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Cubo de Sangre

F65
@plutonium
Reaction score
For week #7 the club selected Happiness (1998).

51vcrV3WgRL.jpg

Premise: The lives of several individuals intertwine as they go about their lives in their own unique ways, engaging in acts society as a whole might find disturbing in a desperate search for human connection.

Director: Todd Solondz

th

Starring: Jane Adams

th

Starring: Philip Seymour Hoffman

th

Starring: Dylan Baker

th

Triva:
(via IMDB)​

• Premiere voted this movie as one of "The 25 Most Dangerous Movies".
  • Philip Seymour Hoffman based his character (Allen) off of Ralph Reed; the founder of the Christian Coalition, and a Republican politician. During a run in with Ralph, he told Philip that his favorite movie was Happiness. Little did Ralph know, he was Allen.
  • Philip Seymour Hoffman and Ben Gazzara are both in this film, but do not share any screen time. The same year (1998), they were both in The Big Lebowski, where they also shared no screen time.
  • There were several scenes in the script that didn't make the final cut, but there were scenes in the movie that weren't in the script.
  • Dylan Baker was cast as Bill after more well-known actors who were offered the part balked at playing a pedophile. Baker claimed that he easily moved on after the film to other roles with no negative repercussions to his image or career.
  • In the original screenplay, Bill receives a package after his family leaves him. The package is a bomb; it blows up, killing him.
  • A scene was filmed in which Andy commits suicide but it was deleted.

Members: @Cubo de Sangre @Dirt Road Soldier @MusterX @sickc0d3r @Tufts @Zer @newjerseynick @melvinj0 @HenryFlower

Honorary tags: @chickenluver @JayPettryMMA @europe1 @the muntjac @HenryFlower

Reactions: Zer
If I have a favorite genre it's black comedies. Taking sad, tragic, violent, and uncomfortable situations and making them funny is high art. :)

Between the title and the cartoon artwork, Happiness aims to disarm the viewer a little from the start. But the opening scene gives you a nice appetizer for what's to come (i.e. a film full of brutal little digs). Like when Joy assures her date, after breaking up with him, that there's nobody else in the picture, it's just him. lol

The acting throughout was on point. Though for me the most compelling characters were Hoffman's (Allen) and the dad (Bill) & son (Billy). Allen was so pathetic. When we first see him he's telling his shrink (Bill) how boring people find him, and Bill is sitting there thinking only of the errands he has to run later. To me that's funny shit. The interactions between Bill and Billy were so honest and so awkward. You just didn't know what that kid would say next. But dad took it all in stride and gave him straight answers (including the one-liner whopper of the entire movie).

In a way Happiness reminds me of Airplane with the deadpan nature of the humor, and the mostly muted reactions. For example Vlad, immediately after busting a nut in Joy, sorta taps her on the shoulder and simply says "I go now.". Then he throws his clothes on and walks out, not even acknowledging her when she says goodbye. Or Lara Flynn (Helen) telling her sister Trish how hard it is to be in demand all the time. Occasionally things reach more of a pitch. Lovitz taking his gift back from Joy and telling her she's a lousy person. Or Hoffman yelling at neighbor girl to get out of his apartment.

I think to fully enjoy Happiness you need some capacity to laugh at human misery and disfunction. For me the film did a great job of not really giving any reason to do anything but. There wasn't much that's sympathetic enough to get you to latch on to any of them and root for their success. Instead they were more defined by their flaws (eg. vanity, sexual misbehavior, pedophilia). Except for Billy. That actor nailed the role, and his character is perhaps quietly the star of the show. After all, the movie does end on his ultimate triumph. :D

I watched this when it first came out, My reaction then was more positive than the one I had last night. This is exactly the type of film that entertained me in my 30s but not anymore. I seem to remember @sickc0d3r saying something along the lines that age changes your ability to swallow the horribleness of society. This has definitely happened to me. There was a time when horror was just horror. Then somewhere along the way I focused in on the fact that these things actually happen to people, and that took the detachment out of the viewing experience and made it difficult for me to suspend disbelief, knowing my entertainment was the result of suffering, even if the film I was watching was fiction.

Not trying to guilt anyone for enjoying this film. I enjoyed parts of it. I had forgotten about the intensity of the pedophilia, though. I made a conscious choice not to take notes, because I remembered it was disturbing (just not HOW disturbing), and I didn't want to re-enforce that feeling by typing up dialogue that would then bring it back to life for me. I just can't separate myself enough from human suffering to be able to laugh easily at it. That is just me. I was amused by a lot. It is a very clever film. But it still left me feeling nauseous and sad. Only once have I received a dick pic. It stressed me the fuck out. I felt violated and super upset. This helped me feel just how upsetting Allen's calls were to the women he targeted. We never saw their reactions though. Only with Helen, who is so narcissistic and desperate to feel anything, that she wants to fuck the dude making the calls. Her character is defined perfectly with this memorable quote: ‘If only I had been raped as a child! Then I would know authenticity!’ And then she purposely sets her little sister up with that same person. It speaks to the shallowness and easy cruelty of so many members of society. Both sisters exhibit this air of superiority and callousness to the youngest in the family. Every sentence they direct towards her is double-edged. Out of all of them, Joy is the one who shows the most growth at the end. She is still nice and helps Vlad, but she stands up for herself by being herself, but then setting limits. Joy is the only one to approach happiness at the end. The wife is a wretched character. She is a bad parent and a horrendous sister. At the end of the movie, she has experienced zero growth. And despite having fallen the farthest, she still carries this suffocating air of superiority. The parents were funny-ish. Same old story of old lady being abandoned after years of marriage. Good on the old man for not being a stereotype despite their not-divorce. Bill was a PoS and while I admit the actor did a hell of a job, I have no desire to discuss anything about him. I cannot imagine anyone allowing an 11-12 year old kid to play those roles. Finallly, Cristina was an interesting character and I found some redemption in Allen, in that they could find some comfort in each other. Ultimately this movie is about appearances and the rot that lurks below.

Last edited:
Out of all of them, Joy is the one who shows the most growth at the end. She is still nice and helps Vlad, but she stands up for herself by being herself, but then setting limits. Joy is the only one to approach happiness at the end.

Hadn't thought of her growing too much. She "lent" Vlad money to get her CD player and guitar back. Cracks me up the he responded with "Deal". You could say she left him and that shows growth, but the film began with her dumping Andy. And from where was she deriving happiness at the end?

Comparatively, Billy learned to cum. And he seemed pretty pleased with that.

You could say she left him and that shows growth, but the film began with her dumping Andy. And from where was she deriving happiness at the end?

Comparatively, Billy learned to cum. And he seemed pretty pleased with that.
I think Joy still desired Vlad. Seemed like old boy did pretty well in the sack. And he was clearly a considerate lover, as he did ask "Was OK?" before heading home to his wife woman. She also made a point of saying she was changing her job, as she had gained empathy for the strikers. It felt like a moment of growth to me on a personal and on a professional level. Plus she negotiated to get her sources of music back, which also showed a desire to not abandon her passion for music.

Billy, on the other hand, may have succeeded in having an orgasm, but there is no way he is not going to have a traumatized life. He was clearly close to his father, and when his dad responded with: No. I would jerk off. It is one of the most painful scenes I have ever watched. Add to that his clueless mom, and he is pretty much screwed.

The dog, was hilarious in his clean up. But what was up with Hoffman using his personal glue to put up postcards? The ugh factor there is beyond ugh.

Last edited:
Tod Solonz is one messed up dude, if you're normal this movie will skeeze you out. Aside from the pedo shit, the scene at the end with the little kid who thinks it's some great accomplishment to whack off and ejaculate finally does to on to a rail and the dog licks it off the rail is both incredibly funked up but the dog part is also funny at the same time.
Welcome to the Dollhouse was genuinely good without trying to be shocking

How do I watch this? It is not on Netflix or Prime, it seems.

I watched this when it first came out, My reaction then was more positive than the one I had last night. This is exactly the type of film that entertained me in my 30s but not anymore. I seem to remember @sickc0d3r saying something along the lines that age changes your ability to swallow the horribleness of society. This has definitely happened to me. There was a time when horror was just horror. Then somewhere along the way I focused in on the fact that these things actually happen to people, and that took the detachment out of the viewing experience and made it difficult for me to suspend disbelief, knowing my entertainment was the result of suffering, even if the film I was watching was fiction.
Yeah, you said it, sister. I legitimately don’t enjoy the suffering of other humans as a form of entertainment. And I really don’t enjoy observing cruelty. Back in the day it was cool and fun, now it all just makes me sad. Probably because it reflects a reality I wish did not exist (for my kids’ sake), but does.

Anyway, I haven’t seen this yet, and every movie so far has been on the depressing side. Maybe as a club we’ll change directions at some point.

I think the aspect that bothered me the most in my rewatch was the representation of monstrous, horrible, hatefully acting, and atrociously destructive adults as flawed, ordinary, and damaged human beings. They are not particularly likable, but they are in many ways relatable, and wretchedly real. Oftentimes in movies, villains are over the top, easy to despise, set up for condemnation so that the viewer can leave the theatre exalting in their positive self-image and innate sense of righteousness.

giphy.gif

Instead, we are given these ambiguous, and mundane characters who, let's take BIll for an example, swing from tedious professionalism to duplicitous parenting to violent child rape. I am sure that most of Bill's neighbours would have said: but he was the nicest guy. Or let's look at Allen, whose behavior around Helen made me wonder how I had ever been comfortable getting in an elevator with a man before (while feeling grateful we don't really have elevators on island, and when we are on elevators we can stare at the buttons) who ranges from being so inconsequential, he might as well have been invisible, but also attracted the passion of Kristina (who felt even more imperceptible due to her unattractive appearance), and was full of violent sexual fantasies towards a woman who did not even know he existed. That is beyond creepy and disturbing. The contrast between his screaming at Kristina, and then laying on her bed above the sheets with his shoes on is as vexing as it is sweet. Kristina meanwhile tries so hard to be kind, only to have her generosity of spirit destroyed by a miniature rapist, yet still is able to love strawberry ice cream. Her murderous behavior appears so matter of fact, and Allen's acceptance of it is too: We all have good and bad moments (or something like that). Joy's refreshing honesty with Andy came across as completely crass and cruel (yet hilarious) when she tells him with the utmost naivete: It's just you. And then his saccharin explanation of his gift turns on a dime when he rips it out of her hands and insults her. This movie straddles extremes. From quiet to screaming. From listening and trying to help your kid, to raping other kids, from trying to find love, to finding out your lover is a violent thief who even steals from you, from being abandoned by your spouse of 40+ years in exchange for NOBODY, from loving sisterhood to finding joy in robbing the joy and hope from your sister's life, and even worse, setting her life up to deteriorate even more. I guess Billy comes out ahead, although I can't imagine anyone is helping him with the myriad of issues triggered by his dad serenely saying he wouldn't fuck him, just jerk off. I was originally mad that Bill did not get blown up, as mentioned in the OP. But this entire movie really embraces the ordinariness of the characters, and even more disturbingly, the normality and humdrum depiction of their heinous actions.

I think it is a good film. It just disturbed the fuck out of me. So, am I looking forward to this next week?

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Yeah, you said it, sister. I legitimately don’t enjoy the suffering of other humans as a form of entertainment. And I really don’t enjoy observing cruelty. Back in the day it was cool and fun, now it all just makes me sad. Probably because it reflects a reality I wish did not exist (for my kids’ sake), but does.

Anyway, I haven’t seen this yet, and every movie so far has been on the depressing side. Maybe as a club we’ll change directions at some point.
I think becoming a high school teacher and an aunt did it to me. When I taught college, I wasn't that much older than my students, and I was not as actively involved in their lives. In the past 13 years I have seen so many damaged kids, so many cruel kids, so many suffering kids. I've seen sick and miscreant adults, some of whom were colleagues. It is all a LOT. My callouses are completely worn off. I used to feel an intellectual fascination with depravity, especially serial killers, and now I just feel fear and sorrow for their victims and their victims' families. But I also see a lot of amazing kids. Bright, hard-working, and to sound like them, woke kids. That and some dedicated and amazing educators. And that gives me a lot of hope.

I think Joy still desired Vlad. Seemed like old boy did pretty well in the sack. And he was clearly a considerate lover, as he did ask "Was OK?" before heading home to his wife woman. She also made a point of saying she was changing her job, as she had gained empathy for the strikers. It felt like a moment of growth to me on a personal and on a professional level. Plus she negotiated to get her sources of music back, which also showed a desire to not abandon her passion for music.

Good points.

Billy, on the other hand, may have succeeded in having an orgasm, but there is no way he is not going to have a traumatized life. He was clearly close to his father, and when his dad responded with: No. I would jerk off. It is one of the most painful scenes I have ever watched. Add to that his clueless mom, and he is pretty much screwed.

I don't think you can assume that. Lots of people have rough childhoods and still become good people. And hey, he was spanking it to a full-grown woman instead of little boys.

The dog, was hilarious in his clean up. But what was up with Hoffman using his personal glue to put up postcards? The ugh factor there is beyond ugh.

lol

I guess he didn't have a rag handy.

I don't think you can assume that. Lots of people have rough childhoods and still become good people. And hey, he was spanking it to a full-grown woman instead of little boys.
You can be good and also damaged. His main male role model referred to him as a symbol of desire. That is pretty messed up. Hopefully, it drove him to become a good person. Maybe I'm just cynical. I just don't see the family doing much, especially his narcisistic mom. Maybe he will spend time with Aunty Joy.

Good points.

lol

I guess he didn't have a rag handy.
Or

giphy.gif

Apparently, that is useful too

giphy.gif

I think the aspect that bothered me the most in my rewatch was the representation of monstrous, horrible, hatefully acting, and atrociously destructive adults as flawed, ordinary, and damaged human beings. They are not particularly likable, but they are in many ways relatable, and wretchedly real. Oftentimes in movies, villains are over the top, easy to despise, set up for condemnation so that the viewer can leave the theatre exalting in their positive self-image and innate sense of righteousness.

giphy.gif

Instead, we are given these ambiguous, and mundane characters who, let's take BIll for an example, swing from tedious professionalism to duplicitous parenting to violent child rape. I am sure that most of Bill's neighbours would have said: but he was the nicest guy. Or let's look at Allen, whose behavior around Helen made me wonder how I had ever been comfortable getting in an elevator with a man before (while feeling grateful we don't really have elevators on island, and when we are on elevators we can stare at the buttons) who ranges from being so inconsequential, he might as well have been invisible, but also attracted the passion of Kristina (who felt even more imperceptible due to her unattractive appearance), and was full of violent sexual fantasies towards a woman who did not even know he existed. That is beyond creepy and disturbing. The contrast between his screaming at Kristina, and then laying on her bed above the sheets with his shoes on is as vexing as it is sweet. Kristina meanwhile tries so hard to be kind, only to have her generosity of spirit destroyed by a miniature rapist, yet still is able to love strawberry ice cream. Her murderous behavior appears so matter of fact, and Allen's acceptance of it is too: We all have good and bad moments (or something like that). Joy's refreshing honesty with Andy came across as completely crass and cruel (yet hilarious) when she tells him with the utmost naivete: It's just you. And then his saccharin explanation of his gift turns on a dime when he rips it out of her hands and insults her. This movie straddles extremes. From quiet to screaming. From listening and trying to help your kid, to raping other kids, from trying to find love, to finding out your lover is a violent thief who even steals from you, from being abandoned by your spouse of 40+ years in exchange for NOBODY, from loving sisterhood to finding joy in robbing the joy and hope from your sister's life, and even worse, setting her life up to deteriorate even more. I guess Billy comes out ahead, although I can't imagine anyone is helping him with the myriad of issues triggered by his dad serenely saying he wouldn't fuck him, just jerk off. I was originally mad that Bill did not get blown up, as mentioned in the OP. But this entire movie really embraces the ordinariness of the characters, and even more disturbingly, the normality and humdrum depiction of their heinous actions.

I think it is a good film. It just disturbed the fuck out of me. So, am I looking forward to this next week?

giphy.gif

Couldn't agree more, except for the part about being disturbed. I still love the black comedy of it all such that I can laugh at the sheer audacity of the filmmaking. I mean, a dog licks up some cum and then goes and gets a kiss from his momma. That's some nasty shit that's funny as fuck happening to someone else. :D

Bill getting Unabombed would have been the karma he deserved, but that might have been out of place with the rest of the movie. That said, he was an incredibly complex character for sure.

Kristina is a great example of the extremes you talk about. Little Pedro on top of her reminded me of a small dog trying to hump a big dog. He was so physically unimposing. So on the one hand he's able to finish his business. On the other hand she snaps his neck like nothing. Then she chops him up and is in the process of taking him out to the dumpster a little at a time. All this after she seems like the sweetest, most sensitive character in the show. Nobody is shedding a tear for Pedro, but dismemberment is hardcore shit. So it's like, who the Hell is this woman?!?

You can be good and also damaged. His main male role model referred to him as a symbol of desire. That is pretty messed up. Hopefully, it drove him to become a good person. Maybe I'm just cynical. I just don't see the family doing much, especially his narcisistic mom. Maybe he will spend time with Aunty Joy.

For sure. Of course there will be a sense of shame and loss, but everything they show us between the two indicates a son who loves his dad. Loving someone who is a bad person, assuming they're not taking advantage of you, is perhaps less damaging than hating your parent. No matter the "I'd jerk off instead." line or not, in the end Bill never did anything to Billy. So who the fuck knows. But one thing seems fairly certain, kid'll have a high sex drive.

As for his mom, she shows him love and comes off as a caretaker (as evidenced by the family meals).

Not saying he'd never have some issue or druthers in life. We all do. Just sayin' it's not a certainty to project the worst future for him.

I forgot to mention. It seems like every time someone answers the phone it's not good. The director must have something against phone calls.

Back