Movies Mayberry Movie Club: Week 10 Nominations

What should we watch?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cubo de Sangre

F65
@plutonium
Reaction score
Each week club members will vote on a film to watch. Then the following week we'll discuss it. Anyone is welcome to join in the discussions. If you want to become a member then let me know.

Members: @Cubo de Sangre @Dirt Road Soldier @MusterX @sickc0d3r @Tufts @Zer @newjerseynick

Honorary tags: @chickenluver @JayPettryMMA @europe1 @the muntjac @HenryFlower

• Each Sunday night (6-10pm Hawaii time) I'll post two threads
  • One thread is the movie we've all voted on to watch
  • The other is the voting for the week after's film
  • Voting will end Thursday night, which gives everyone Friday, Saturday, and Sunday to watch the film to be discussed (but you can watch after that and chime in anytime during the week)
  • All members are eligible to vote
  • All members who commented on the current week's film are eligible to nominate for the next week's vote, so once you've commented you can PM me an IMDB link of your next nomination
  • If you miss 3 consecutive weeks your votes won't count until you start contributing again
  • Multiple votes will be allowed each week (2 or 3 depending on the number of choices)
  • You'll be allowed to change your vote
  • You can vote for your own movie
  • You must cast your allotted number of votes
  • If it's a tie then the judges decide the tiebreaker (I'm the judges so don't leave it in the hands of the judges)
  • If after the initial signup period we are over 10 members then new members will be treated as pledges and will have to view and comment for a few weeks before they're allowed to nominate and vote
  • The first Sunday of each month will be a theme week. We'll go in order of the tag list to decide who gets to choose the theme

Now for the nominees. Members are allowed two votes each in hopes that it produces a clear favorite. Keep in mind the format here is open for feedback and future change.

FIVE CORNERS (1987)

"A psychotic young man returns to his old neighborhood after release from prison. He seeks out the woman he previously tried to rape and the man who protected her, with twisted ideas of love for her and hate for him."

81MmO+2MJqL._SY445_.jpg

Why @Cubo de Sangre thinks we should watch it: Not sure we should. But it's a move with three big name actors that nobody but me seems to have ever seen.

K-PAX (2001)

"PROT is a patient at a mental hospital who claims to be from a faraway planet named K-PAX. His psychiatrist tries to help him, only to begin to doubt his own explanations."

51hJ8sMR-EL._SY445_.jpg

Why @Dirt Road Soldier thinks we should watch it: Its a movie that makes you question what was really going on during the entire film. Plus a great side character in this film by one of my favorite C-Listers.

A SCANNER DARKLY (2006)

"An undercover cop in a not-too-distant future becomes involved with a dangerous new drug and begins to lose his own identity as a result."

s-l640.jpg

Why @MusterX thinks we should watch it: When examining cinema some people want to pretend that Rotoscoped films don't exist. I'm that guy that wants you to reject that ideology.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zer
SHAUN OF THE DEAD (2004)

"A man's uneventful life is disrupted by the zombie apocalypse."

71oEB5hNHPL._SY445_.jpg

Why @Tufts thinks we should watch it: We need to laugh.

DEAD RINGERS (1988)

"Twin gynecologists take full advantage of the fact that nobody can tell them apart, until their relationship begins to deteriorate over a woman."

719BmJSUX5L._SX342_.jpg

Why @Zer thinks we should watch it: This is a Cronenberg gem in which Jeremy Irons plays twin gynecologists'. It's fascinating just for that and the strength of his performances. But I think it's a strong movie for Cronenberg too and shows some of his most memorable imagery, and he works so well around Irons' double role

since i just watched Shaun of the Dead recently, Dead Ringers is the only one worth voting for. no hate to A Scanner Darkly, but i’m aight on that one for now.

Never heard of Five Corners before but that cast looks very interesting. I also chose A Scanner Darkly which I've seen before and really liked. Although the ending messed with me, it made me cry and shit. Would be interesting to see a little Philip K. Dick discussion maybe

This week strikes me as the most even we've had. Somehow all the stuff looks about equally interesting, although all very different. Tough choice.

since i just watched Shaun of the Dead recently, Dead Ringers is the only one worth voting for. no hate to A Scanner Darkly, but i’m aight on that one for now.

You've seen Five Corners? I've never met anyone before who has. You seem to break many molds though. :D

Back