1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Maybe chimaev was overtraining

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Ivancho, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Ivancho Amante de las mma

After reading the sad news of chimaev's retirement started thinking about the reason a young athlete having such a difficult time with covid after months. Every body reacts different to certain illness, In my experience I caught dengue fever a few years ago, my brother too at the same time and I felt absolutely terrible praying my sister to take me to the hospital (couldn't drive because the pain) at time I was training 5 days a week like a bull, my brother had very few symptoms and guy only used to swim once per week. So started asking me why a very active guy like me have such symptoms and my brother fresh like a lettuce.
    I did a little bit of reasearch and found these articles
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-athletes-flu-travel-idUSKBN13X2FN

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/12/071204091909.htm

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    Lindelof and Mesos like this.
  2. Wreckless Purple Belt

This gives me an excuse to be a lazy fatass.

El Fernas, forsuredog, BFoe and 2 others like this.
  3. Ivancho Amante de las mma

just train 3 times per week

4. TravisFrowne WMMA armbars

Atleast we got to see this...
    [​IMG]

5. StrangerToGod Brown Belt

That probably played into it, he's gonna come back though idk why anyone believes he's retired

I'm sure he believed it at the moment, but once he is healthy and realizes he has to get a real job, and everybody is forgetting who he is, he'll come back

Humongo, TheBigJuicyGuy and Ivancho like this.
  6. 7 others Green Belt

Wonder how is Cody now.. his was quite bad too

Freddy Fisticuffs likes this.
  7. Mga223 Steel Belt

This makes it worse man...

<2><mma1>

How far could he have gone.

TravisFrowne likes this.
  8. Mga223 Steel Belt

I actually think it's more serious, he seems to be coughing up blood and was in Vegas getting tests.

It could be anything.

9. Kryptt Dead Belt Platinum Member

He was apparently training again when he should not have been...

Dana White: Khamzat Chimaev emotional but not retiring, expected to return in June

“When he got here, the doctors took care of him, and they put him on prednisone, which is a nasty f*cking steroid,” White told MMA Junkie.” So he’s on prednisone, and he’s supposed to be taking this thing and chilling, relaxing, and letting himself recover. He went in and f*cking trained today, felt like sh*t, and got super emotional and posted that.

“He’s not supposed to be training, but you know, this guy’s a savage. He wants to fight like every f*cking weekend, and now he can’t even train, so he just got emotional and posted that, but he ain’t quitting.”

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2021/03/dana-white-khamzat-chimaev-emotional-but-not-retiring

TheBigJuicyGuy, ussf18e and Ivancho like this.
  10. StrangerToGod Brown Belt

It's serious for sure, more so because he keeps training lol, but you don't think he will ever recover enough to fight? Even if it's 2 or 3 years from now he will fight again

Mga223 likes this.
  11. PennsTheBest Blue Belt

My wife lost her eyesight in her right eye due to Optic Neuritis and than was diagnosed with MS. Shes been on Prednisone for 7 mos at one point she was on 1.250gs a day via IV for 7days than down to 100mg than titration by 10mg to 50. boy does that shit make you wanna move, tons of energy but it also fucks with your head and makes you really emotional/forgetful. I feel for him it sucks especially at higher doses.
    her eyesight is almost normal now.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  12. SPooderMan Yellow Belt

Not sure how long he was on prednisone for, but I’ve been on it for at least a year in total to manage my autoimmune disease, and it fucked up my health irreparably. The effects while on it are absolutely brutal, but the after effects haunt me. I get a lot of ligament and tendon pain. My wrists get absolutely destroyed for weeks after minimum weight lifting. I get a lot of neck pain and back pain as well. Don’t get me wrong. I can still walk and do most normal things. It’s just routine that fucks me up.

I can’t regularly exercise due to it anymore. My body just breaks down way too quick. When I was 19-22 I’d be able to lift heavy 5x/week. After this drug I can’t do it. My body breaks down way too quick.

Anyways not about me, but yeah I agree he should not have been training while on it. His body is way too vulnerable.

13. Mesos Brown Belt

This is likely what happened. Dude was supposed to be resting and recovering but couldn’t stay out of gym. He tried to push it and thats what caused him to be hospitalized in January and not be able to fight.

So he hasn’t learned his lesson and trained again today when he shouldnt
    FCC64DB1-6594-43B6-92BF-EE66BF7214C2.jpeg

14. PennsTheBest Blue Belt

I feel for you brother and hope you are on the right track to getting your AI issues in check.

SPooderMan likes this.
  15. Maripucci Brown Belt

<FookIsThatGuy>

16. SerbBerserk Blue Belt

If he was training it makes sence why he coughed a bit of blood. Maybe his lungs have some internal injuries or scaring and he was supposed to take it easy, and when he trained, his heart and breathing rate went up way more then it should, and it resulted in a bit of blood in his lungs. I'm just guessing tho.

17. Huligani Number One Bullshit

We got to see him KO a bum?

18. Kryptt Dead Belt Platinum Member

Prolly feeling a little better and went what could it hurt...went to work out...

Mesos likes this.
  19. Beastslayer47 Orange Belt

I really hope he doesn't stay retired. Still very young and has a huge potential

20. daniel san Black Belt

His lungs are definitely not recovering as quickly as they should if he keeps training when he should rest. Hasn't everyone experienced this? I had a bad cold, went for a long run when it was almost over and my lungs got messed up. Was coughing up mucus for weeks after that. Haven't had covid (yet) but I definitely wouldn't be working out until the lungs have healed up to avoid making things worse. Kind of a stupid move by Chimaev.