May have staph

korleone1911

Blue Belt
Reaction score
ok... after all of the OCDness I have about staph, I think I have have it on my arm. These are my symptoms. a small whelp-like bump, with a head that is raised and leaking clear fluid... slightly thicker than water consistency.

I noticed my arm was itching last night, but ignored it and went to sleep. This morning it's still itchy and slightly painful when I touch it.

Num 1... do you guys think it's staph?

and Num 2... what can I do about it if it is? How do I treat it on my on?

and Num 3... can I still train, maybe while covering it up with bandage, etc?

second part of that line of questioning is this... if it's not staph... I still need this bump gone. I'm sure I got it from training, but need to know how to treat it.

1) See a doctor

2) See a doctor, try a product like Defense Soap in the shower after you roll for preventative measures (I reviewed it, check my signature for a link)

3) No, do not train with any skin infection whatsoever! EVER!

You need to see a doctor for a definitive diagnosis.

thanks... I plan on seeing a doctor, but really needed to spar today. I have a fight coming up and been trying to get with this guy to spar for weeks and it's scheduled for today, so if it's not likely that it's staph, I was just gonna go ahead and spar with him, skip no gi bjj today, then just go to the doc after our sparring session. Really don't wanna seem like i'm dodging the dude. he's from another gym and my trainer kinda had to pull alota strings to get him to come spar me tonight. this is horrible timing.

Go to the doctor and get antibiotics ASAP. That will clear it up fast. Otherwise it will spread fast.

what everybody is saying here and asap the staph infection gonna fuck you up if you dont treat that right away

You absolutely cannot train with staph.

Quick, someone post the Randleman Staph pictures with the GAPING HOLES IN THE BODY.

Go to a doctor and clean it up before it turns into flesh eating disease.

You must see a doctor before your sparring.

If you fail at that requirement you must show your trainer and your sparring partner before you spar. At the very least cover it with an impermeable barrier securely affixed to your body before sparring, and have your trainer help you with that.

But i say again. You must see a doctor before sparring. Your partner will be way more pissed if he gets staph from you than if you bail due to staph.

People die from staph sometimes. Take it serious.

Get your priorities straight here.

damn, cleanliness IS next to godliness, if you're religious. Especially after seeing those Randleman and Mayhem pictures. Vile.

For me, I just shower before and after rolls, wash the gi/belt/rash guard (goes into a separate basket), and soap up everywhere.

any other tips from experienced grapplers (3 months in here) to prevent infection would be much appreciated.

Are you sure it's not just a pimple?

I get pimples every now and then, mind you we don't have a big problem with staph here in Iceland, although I am sure our mats aren't the cleanest in the biz :)

I roll mostly gi, so my skin is usually pretty well covered. When doing no-gi I wear a long sleeve rashguard, shorts and knee sleeves. If I get pimples I get them on my knees or arms.

As far as I know it's never been staph... I guess you need treatment for staph to go away, right? I usually pop that sucker and clean it with alcohol if I can.

Oh, and I always shower after training at the gym, I always wear clean equipment (gi, rashguard, shorts etc.) and I always put everything in the washer right after I get home.

So yeah... clean is good :D

I wouldn't be "guessing" or "assuming".

I'd go see a doctor but make SURE you emphasise you are involved in a sport where staph is prevalent.

Then, if it is only a minor skin infection or something then you've only lose a short trip to the doctor.

damn, cleanliness IS next to godliness, if you're religious. Especially after seeing those Randleman and Mayhem pictures. Vile.

For me, I just shower before and after rolls, wash the gi/belt/rash guard (goes into a separate basket), and soap up everywhere.

any other tips from experienced grapplers (3 months in here) to prevent infection would be much appreciated.
Have a look for the Defense Soap thread. He posted a bunch of good tips.

DO NOT TRAIN WITH STAPH.

I had staph and I know it sucks not being able to train, but it is better then giving it to guys at the gym and them hating you.

Stepping onto the mat with a skin infection is like driving under the influence. You might do it without injuring or killing someone, but you'll be much more likely to negatively impact someone else.

I just sat out 45 days with a staph infection that resisted nearly every antibiotic thrown at it. Yet I had enough respect for my teammates to not train and spread it. If someone at my gym knowingly trained with a skin infection, I'd be mad as hades.

Last edited:
holy crap, i got a pox on my forearm recently
i am scare right now...damn
any idea where can i get Defense Soap in Canada? the shipping fee is way too high for me to buy it from Budo or their own website

Back