Maxime Bernier says ''Bye Felicia'' to the CPC

Prokofievian

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score

One year out from the Federal Election, Andrew Scheer's main competitor in the CPC leadership race quit the party yesterday, to found his own, as of yet unnamed party.

This comes days after Andrew Scheer told him to STFU over his attack on Trudeau's ''extreme mutliculturalism.''

Apparently Maxime's new party will be based on Freedom, Responsibility, and Limited government. Great, Canada has our very own Ron Paul with a goofy accent.

Seriously I don't think this is really going anywhere. At most Bernier's going to split the right a little bit, but I don't see a lot of average CPC voters or Bay Street Blues following Bernier.

Didn't get an option of a French translation, want to sue.

Bernier said he wants to me Canada's Macron.

He is in no way, shape or form anything like Macron.

This is great, can't wait for him to split the conservative vote.

Or I he might just take the nutty racist cons with him and make the regular CPC look better.

Hopefully the former. I don't want to have to sit through another Harper-esque era watching Canada to down the toilet.

It seems like Bernier's plan was to get Trudeau elected again. :mad: The timing could not have been more perfect for the liberals.

The election will come down to how badly people want Trudeau gone and how much the liberals screw up the current border crises. Trudeau still has about a year to continue embarrassing himself and there to be a few more blunders and scandals up his sleeve before the next election.

This recent news about the leaked letter by the immigration minister may just distract from Bernier going his own way (The National Post):

Canada's backlogged asylum system is 'not sustainable,' immigration minister says in leaked letter

The language is unusually strong for Ahmed Hussen, who speaks often about Canada’s 'strict and efficient immigration and border-control system'

The number of people seeking asylum in Canada is rising “far beyond” what the existing system can handle, according to a recent letter from Immigration Minister Ahmed Hussen obtained by the National Post.

Without changes to improve efficiency and productivity of the asylum process, wait times and backlogs will only continue to grow,” Hussen writes in the Aug. 14 letter, addressed to the Canadian Bar Association. “This situation is not sustainable, nor is it fair to the people who need Canada’s protection.”

Sergio Karas, an immigration lawyer and analyst, called Hussen’s letter “an admission of failure … by the Liberal government,” and said the existing system wasn’t designed to accommodate the current volume of asylum claims.

“I honestly do not understand how it is that the federal government can look the people of Canada in the eye and say that the system works,” he said. “Because the system has collapsed.”

“We inherited a massive backlog of asylum claims after a decade of short-sighted and damaging policies under the Harper Conservatives,” Mathieu Genest said in an email statement. “This situation has only been exacerbated by the increase in asylum seekers, which has been growing since 2013.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Andrew Coyne: Why this crazy leap in the dark by Maxime Bernier?

No one with any familiarity with the modern Conservative Party could disagree with much of what its former-almost-leader Maxime Bernier now has to say about it.

“Intellectually and morally corrupt” might be a bit over the top, but “avoids important but controversial issues”, “afraid to articulate any coherent policy”, offers “a bunch of platitudes that don’t offend anybody but don’t mean anything [or] motivate anyone” while pandering to interest groups and buying votes “just like the Liberals”? Checks out, as many Conservatives would be the first to say.

As I’ve argued before, the splitting of the left-of-centre vote between two (later three, and four) parties since 1935 has not stopped the Liberals from winning 16 out of 25 elections in that time. It may even have helped. The presence of two parties saying broadly similar things has entrenched progressivism as the default mode of Canadian politics, leaving the Conservatives, to the extent they have occasionally demurred, looking like the outliers.

...An upstart conservative party, more robust in its advocacy, might play the same role as the NDP on the left, pushing out the boundaries of acceptable opinion and freeing the established Conservative Party to compete more aggressively for the median voter — in part by pulling the median to the right.

It’s not even clear what this does for Bernier. The standard script for a defeated but still potent leadership candidate, if he cannot or will not be accommodated within, is a dignified exit, a couple of years in private life making money and conspiring, then a triumphant return once the other guy falls on his face — as Scheer still has every chance of doing in 2019.

So why this crazy leap in the dark? Or does Bernier think Scheer will win?

On August 23rd the CBC Panel (Rosemary Barton, Chantal Hebert and Andrew Scheer) discuss Maxime Bernier parting ways with the Conservatives.

Im not really sure what this means but David Doel was saying on his channel that this split of the conservative vote could lead to more liberals getting elected in the 'first by the post' system(which is seriously flawed, proportional representation is fairer)

Im not really sure what this means but David Doel was saying on his channel that this split of the conservative vote could lead to more liberals getting elected in the 'first by the post' system(which is seriously flawed, proportional representation is fairer)

Trudeau promised to change the voting system and many people voted for him based on that promise and then he scrapped that promise when he realized FPTP would benefit him.

Trudeau promised to change the voting system and many people voted for him based on that promise and then he scrapped that promise when he realized FPTP would benefit him.
any change to the voting system should be in the form of a referendum, it shouldnt be up to the politicians. If he promised a vote on the system though and reneged then thats just shady.

That's adorable. Come 2019...

<FookIsThatGuy>

It is hard to believe that Bernier is going to damage the conservative party to the point that it will completely destroy the conservative party of Canada. CBC will talk about how the party is in complete ruins for a few days and then move on to something else and Bernier will be forgotten among the majority of Canadians.

I'm voting Conservative in the next election because I want to see Trudeau and his band of merry libtards gone. I'm sure I am not the only one. Even the people willing to support a Bernier led party will still vote Conservative in the next election because they know that is the best way to get Trudeau out as PM.

It is hard to believe that Bernier is going to damage the conservative party to the point that it will completely destroy the conservative party of Canada. CBC will talk about how the party is in complete ruins for a few days and then move on to something else and Bernier will be forgotten among the majority of Canadians.

I'm voting Conservative in the next election because I want to see Trudeau and his band of merry libtards gone. I'm sure I am not the only one. Even the people willing to support a Bernier led party will still vote Conservative in the next election because they know that is the best way to get Trudeau out as PM.

So you want Scheer as PM?

Gross!

Ice Cube is a cultural icon and has impacted yalls vernacular.

I love it.

Won't split the right -- thankfully a multiple party system already has a libertarian and the Christian heritage party that attracts the fringes and doesn't really split votes (like green / ndp) -- Bernier is just upset about losing the leadership but whatever party he does form will align with the PC.

Go Bay St Blues

For all you anti Trudo's out there, this is bad for the conservative party as it will split the right wing vote between both parties.

Remember how the Reform Party and Canadian Alliance helped the Big Red Machine get elected and re-elected?

Back