Max vs Khabib: truly elite grappler versus truly elite striker

Beylerbey

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
UFC 229 was supposed to give us another iteration of the classic "grappler versus striker" matchup. Not only that, but this fight was supposed to feature the absolute créme de la créme of both disciplines. An elite striker versus an elite grappler. This fight was supposed to showcase a clash between different martial arts, performed by some of its finest practitioners. It was supposed to be a fight for the ages. That's what we were promised.

Sadly (or funnily) enough, what we actually got was not the "elite grappler versus elite striker" matchup we were promised, but "elite grappler versus mediocre whiskey merchant". However, with all due respect to Poirier (one of my favourite fighters on the roster), we could finally get what we were promised. Max is probably the best striker on the roster right now. 13 winning streak, insane cardio, absolutely murdered Ortega, finished Aldo twice. An actual elite striker. Hungry, dedicated and not distracted by vices.

Will this be the best "striker versus grappler" matchup of all time? How do you guys think it would play out?

I don't think it would be the best striker vs grappler match ever...and khabib smokes max quite easily imo

Last edited:
If Max beats Khabib it completely changes both fighter's narratives.
Max surpasses Conor in every way despite being 0-1 against him and Khabib's entire legacy built on the backs of lesser competition until recently is called into question.

But neither is really accurate.

And it will be a hell of a scrap.

--side note
And fuck the english teacher that told me not to start sentences with and or but. That is a fake rule that never existed.

Easy fight for Khabib.

Max probably won't even make it past dustin.

So a mediocre whiskey merchant beat up a truly elite striker for three rounds.

Derp.

even though Khabib took his soul, Conor's still an elite MMA striker. and yes i know Khabib popped him with that right hand.

MMA is evolving, but one constant is that the better wrestler typically wins. The Eagle beats Max

Max isn't a better striker than Conor. The guy heavily leads and moves with his torso rather than his feet. It's doubly confusing to see as he's a tall guy with a short reach, which should mean he would heavily need footwork to overcome his reach, but instead he just leans his long torso in closer to extend it. Which of course puts his chin closer, and is why he keeps getting cracked by his opponents despite him outstriking them.

Max is good but you cant call him a truly elite striker dude. Wth

UFC 229 was supposed to give us another iteration of the classic "grappler versus striker" matchup. Not only that, but this fight was supposed to feature the absolute créme de la créme of both disciplines. An elite striker versus an elite grappler. This fight was supposed to showcase a clash between different martial arts, performed by some of its finest practitioners. It was supposed to be a fight for the ages. That's what we were promised.

Sadly (or funnily) enough, what we actually got was not the "elite grappler versus elite striker" matchup we were promised, but "elite grappler versus mediocre whiskey merchant". However, with all due respect to Poirier (one of my favourite fighters on the roster), we could finally get what we were promised. Max is probably the best striker on the roster right now. 13 winning streak, insane cardio, absolutely murdered Ortega, finished Aldo twice. An actual elite striker. Hungry, dedicated and not distracted by vices.

Will this be the best "striker versus grappler" matchup of all time? How do you guys think it would play out?

Nah.

Khabib by beatdown is what's going to happen also.

I'm not convinced Max is a "truly elite" striker.

Conor is a better pure striker. Max is the better volume striker.

It's never a real clash of styles because the striker has been training wrestling and bjj. It's just a matter of whether their wrestling defense is enough to keep them standing or whether their bjj can get them a submission.

Pillow fisted max can’t hurt khabib
Gets taken down and beat up

Back