Max Holloway vs. Korean Zombie? How would that go?

Plenty of guys have taken max down: Bermudez, Fili, Conor, Old Frankie, ortega, Volk.....

No one in recent years have had success holding him down. That said, KZ is a very good all around grappler, and the guy is a huge FW (he weighed 170lbs eight hours after weighing in at 145lbs...) he'd be very heavy on top.

If KZ could actually establish top position on Max, i think he'd have a pretty big advantage. I just don't know if he could. I do think that mixing in his grappling would be essential, though, even if he didn't get the takedowns. Historically Max's output has been lower against guys who kept him honest with the takedown threats, and that might help KZ find his chances on the feet to hurt max.
Nice assessment...

That's actually so bad that it's funny. I'll allow it haha
He's in the Shane Carwin bracket now, Shane went from 6 ft 5, to 6 ft 3 , to 6 ft 2.

UFC height checkers be like
tenor.gif

A couple of years ago this would have been a dynamite fight, but Zombie has lost a step (ok, maybe like a half step) recently. He can try and do his power counters and implement some top game, but I think Max lights him up progressively worse as the fight goes on.

Holloway's style is different from Ortega's. He's willing to engage in the boxing range. Need I say more? Styles make fights...

A couple of years ago this would have been a dynamite fight, but Zombie has lost a step (ok, maybe like a half step) recently. He can try and do his power counters and implement some top game, but I think Max lights him up progressively worse as the fight goes on.
In boxing range, I think he'll get clipped quite a few times from the Zombie. Then I perhaps a more calculated approach will ensue for Max. If that's the case, I hope he doesn't retreat that much, but something tells me that won't be the case. Max is bonafide Hawaiian warrior and the Korean Zombie is always willing to fight to the death. I think this has a chance in becoming one of most epic fights we will ever see...

In boxing range, I think he'll get clipped quite a few times from the Zombie. Then I perhaps a more calculated approach will ensue for Max. If that's the case, I hope he doesn't retreat that much, but something tells me that won't be the case. Max is bonafide Hawaiian warrior and the Korean Zombie is always willing to fight to the death. I think this has a chance in becoming one of most epic fights we will ever see...

Solid maybe. Zombie fights like he knows he can be KOed now, which is something he didn't do in the past. Max isn't a one-shot KO sorta guy, but his volume does make guys hesitate.

Last edited:
Solid maybe. Zombie fights like he knows he can be KOed now, which is something he didn't go in the past. Max isn't a one-shot KO sorta guy, but his volume does make guys hesitate.
You got a point there. But I think the reason why Zombie wasn't engaging as much as what we all thought was because Eddie said that his arm popped in and out of either the 1st or 2nd round. So I'm 100% positive that was the reasoning behind it. He just took his MRI yesterday and should be getting results soon. If he passes, and if Holloway needs a little more time to heal up from his injury, the stars can align timewise for these two to fight...

The MKZ doesn't have a chance, but it's pretty fucking small.
That's a poor assessment imo
Ortega came off a long layoff and had obviously improved himself during that time which is a small miracle in itself. When ur that far past removed, this sport has a tendency to pass you by. He was super rangey, effective with kicks punches and weird shit like elbows. He's also the best BJJ guy in the division and one of the top 3 in the promotion

with Max all he needs to really worry about are punches and leg kicks That may be enough to beat KZ but Max will be a helluva lot easier to read than Ortega

I have to admit I'm a little disenchanted with the current KZ than the legendary one most care about

I'm not sure what Cha and fight ready are really doing to improve him The Ige version we saw would've gotten worked again by Ortega KZs obviously a counter puncher primarily the way he goes in close with hands down and head seemingly on the platter The whole ige fight he looked precariously vulnerable because his head does nottmove and he back steps with his head on the platter. He's susceptible to flurries especially those that push him backwards Max excels at this type of pressure KZ is still very very hittable and against a guy like Max you can't afford this

I like this fight for KZ because this is exactly the type of fight, he tends to show up for . This is compounded because there will likely be a huge crowd in attendance, which he tends to thrive on.

if Kz wins this it's because he's dispatched Holloway A decision will not go in his favor and everyone in his corner knows this. His best chance is something flashy like Moicano or the check hook with Frankie There's also the small chance of submitting Holloway but I think it's so small not worth spending time on Holloway has never really been threatened this way At lesst not in recent Memory

To take and control Holloway down, you'll need some Khabib-level grappling + size advantage.
This maybe true, but if he gets caught by the Zombie, and he falls to the mat where the Zombie is on top him, then I think it's plausible for Kz to control Max on the ground...

That's a poor assessment imo
Ortega came off a long layoff and had obviously improved himself during that time which is a small miracle in itself. When ur that far past removed, this sport has a tendency to pass you by. He was super rangey, effective with kicks punches and weird shit like elbows. He's also the best BJJ guy in the division and one of the top 3 in the promotion

with Max all he needs to really worry about are punches and leg kicks That may be enough to beat KZ but Max will be a helluva lot easier to read than Ortega

I have to admit I'm a little disenchanted with the current KZ than the legendary one most care about

I'm not sure what Cha and fight ready are really doing to improve him The Ige version we saw would've gotten worked again by Ortega KZs obviously a counter puncher primarily the way he goes in close with hands down and head seemingly on the platter The whole ige fight he looked precariously vulnerable because his head does nottmove and he back steps with his head on the platter. He's susceptible to flurries especially those that push him backwards Max excels at this type of pressure KZ is still very very hittable and against a guy like Max you can't afford this

I like this fight for KZ because this is exactly the type of fight, he tends to show up for . This is compounded because there will likely be a huge crowd in attendance, which he tends to thrive on.

if Kz wins this it's because he's dispatched Holloway A decision will not go in his favor and everyone in his corner knows this. His best chance is something flashy like Moicano or the check hook with Frankie There's also the small chance of submitting Holloway but I think it's so small not worth spending time on Holloway has never really been threatened this way At lesst not in recent Memory

Max has a lot more than just punches and leg kicks man

26.gif
IllegalSpicyCaimanlizard-size_restricted.gif

NauticalReliableJaeger-size_restricted.gif
NauticalShockedDunnart-small.gif
ElaborateAngryFlea-size_restricted.gif

To take and control Holloway down, you'll need some Khabib-level grappling + size advantage.
As you're insinuating Holloway be the largest FW in the division KZ is up there too but part of the reason he dominated Ige was size advantage It's going to be difficult and taxing to keep Max down

That Calvin is one tough sum bitch...
Really is,

If there were ever a fight for Zombie to live up to the name, this is probably it<6>

I already feel a bit sick from nerves thinking about the walkouts, i'm going to be delighted and gutted what ever the outcome I think.

As you're insinuating Holloway be the largest FW in the division KZ is up there too but part of the reason he dominated Ige was size advantage It's going to be difficult and taxing to keep Max down
But what if he takes his back? A possible locked body triangle? I'd imagine that be harder to escape and less stress for the Zombie. Easier said then done though...

That seems a little extreme. I'm pretty sure a FW with khabib's skill set could do it. Max hasn't come close to fighting anybody with that type of well rounded grappling game. Old Frankie was the closest, but that was past prime undersized Frankie. Volk would be the second closest, but he's levels below khabib and he still had his moments of grappling success against Max.

I'd love to see max against more well rounded grapplers to find out. A fight with Evloev in the future could be interesting.

Last edited:
Back