Max Holloway: I've Got A Passport to Crazy-Town

All very good points, without answering my question though. He definitely gets hit a lot, but manages to outland his opponent dramatically. But it's not like he just walks through opponents shots, he eats one to land multiple sometimes because he is so offensive with trying to build tempo and combinations.

One more time now: What fighters at FW would you give a striking defense rating of higher than 8 outside of Volk? Or are you saying that no fighters at FW have elite striking defense?
Ok so you admit he gets hit a lot but still give him 8 out of 10 ? Would you like to revise that opinion ?

Of the top ten featherweights in the world, I would say zabit, pitbull, volkanovski and Ortega (aside the max butchering) all have better defence. Hell even yair probably gets hit less. Max is a better fighter than all of them though imo

For reals....if Dustin hadn't landed that knee with 1 minute to go in the 4th round of their rematch I honestly feel like Max would've had it. He was coming on super-strong that round and was clearly winning until that knee drastically shifted the fight.

Not sure if his power can take him to the top of the division (highly unlikely actually) but every match-up he'd be in would be an epic war.
He for sure was taking over the fight after the 4th, the fight looks like a beat down from overview but if you dissect the fight, Holloway was in that fight and taking over before it ended.

Ok so you admit he gets hit a lot but still give him 8 out of 10 ? Would you like to revise that opinion ?

Of the top ten featherweights in the world, I would say zabit, pitbull, volkanovski and Ortega (aside the max butchering) all have better defence. Hell even yair probably gets hit less. Max is a better fighter than all of them though imo

His overall defense is good to fit his style - when he is trying to be defensive and counter he’s got pretty good evasive footwork and head movement and is able to slip and find angles consistently.

When he pressures with volume he’s there to be countered since he’s so jab-heavy, but he uses his chin and will (as you noted) to allow him to counter the counter and push a pace of striking volume few can keep up with. It’s attritional offensive where defensive priorities are sacrificed to fit his style.

That’s why I think he has good defense - he gets in striking battles where he almost always hits his opponent way more then he gets hit. So he’s setting the engagements in a way where his style tends to produce better defensive results for him comparatively to his opponents. It’s not perfect but it seems to work pretty well until he runs into a perfect foil like Volk or moves up against real hitters at LW without adjusting to the division and trying to change his style up.

Zabit - Great until he gasses, then can’t rely on all the movement and is there to get tagged. So he’s better then Max, until he’s worse then Max, and that’s in a 3 round fight.

Volk - Arguably the best in the division currently, yet still got out struck by Max for large portions second fight and dropped...twice. Do you just credit Max’s offense or is it not in concurrency with Volk’s defensive flaws?

Pitbull - Not in UFC but nice to see him get some respect on his name in these streets. Looks like he’s somehow getting better at striking even past his physical prime, flawless defensive performances as of late. Need to see against a few more elite opponents to truly gauge, but very impressive indeed.

Ortega - Looked unbelievable in one fight against Zombie where he showed a revamped game with amazing strategy. But it was one fight against a foot-slow fighter that played into his game. We need to see a few more fights to claim his defense is elite, that’s insane - until his last fight he was arguably one the worst defensive fighters in the division.

Yair - He got handily out struck by Zombie before the hail mary KO. The very guy that you stake your claim on Ortega being elite defensively against. His defensive is good at kicking range but boxing in the pocket, not so much.

Whether I call it an 8/10 or 7/10 does the overall point of the argument I was making change? Or are you saying you think his defense is close to a 3/10 like he’s saying?

Last edited:
He’d look extremely mediocre at 155lbs like he did against Porier.

He doesn’t even have power to put away FW’s, what makes you think he stands a chance in a much deeper LW division? Not only that but he’s also give up his height/size advantage he benefits from at FW.

Max is good at FW, no need to jump in the 155lbs shark tank.
I'd like to see him fight a few more 155ers before making this premature claim
You're using MMA math

He for sure was taking over the fight after the 4th, the fight looks like a beat down from overview but if you dissect the fight, Holloway was in that fight and taking over before it ended.

I think he came in over confident from the Ortega fight and didn’t give enough credit to power difference at LW.

Dustin rattled his brain repeatedly before he finally understood far to me late he needed to feint way more and cut angles to draw out the counters.

Early on he was jabbing into the pocket and getting slipped and ripped on so often it was kind of shocking to see him keep doing it for 2 whole rounds, like he couldn’t believe the style that got him there want working and didn’t want to give up on it out of ego.

His overall defense is good to fit his style - when he is trying to be defensive and counter he’s got pretty good evasive footwork and head movement and is able to slip and find angles consistently.

When he pressures with volume he’s there to be countered since he’s so jab-heavy, but he uses his chin and will (as you noted) to allow him to counter the counter and push a pace of striking volume few can keep up with. It’s attritional offensive where defensive priorities are sacrificed to fit his style.

That’s why I think he has good defense - he gets in striking battles where he almost always hits his opponent way more then he gets hit. So he’s setting the engagements in a way where his style tends to produce better defensive results for him comparatively to his opponents. It’s not perfect but it seems to work pretty well until he runs into a perfect foil like Volk or moves up against real hitters at LW without adjusting to the division and trying to change his style up.

Zabit - Great until he gasses, then can’t rely on all the movement and is there to get tagged. So he’s better then Max, until he’s worse then Max, and that’s in a 3 round fight.

Volk - Arguably the best in the division currently, yet still got out struck by Max for large portions second fight and dropped...twice. Do you just credit Max’s offense or is it not in concurrency with Volk’s defensive flaws?

Pitbull - Not in UFC but nice to see him get some respect on his name in these streets. Looks like he’s somehow getting better at striking even past his physical prime, flawless defensive performances as of late. Need to see against a few more elite opponents to truly gauge, but very impressive indeed.

Ortega - Looked unbelievable in one fight against Zombie where he showed a revamped game with amazing strategy. But it was one fight against a foot-slow fighter that played into his game. We need to see a few more fights to claim his defense is elite, that’s insane - until his last fight he was arguably one the worst defensive fighters in the division.

Yair - He got handily out struck by Zombie before the hail mary KO. The very guy that you stake your claim on Ortega being elite defensively against. His defensive is good at kicking range but boxing in the pocket, not so much.

Whether I call it an 8/10 or 7/10 does the overall point of the argument I was making change? Or are you saying you think his defense is close to a 3/10 like he’s saying?
My rating of Holloway’s defence... I’d say 6-7 out of 10. You’re good at mma discussion and have a lot more energy than me, I’m done bruh

Sounds like a guy who has just hired a hack S & C coach who has put him through some baseline testing and is scratching his head at how he's winning all these fights.

I'd like to see him fight a few more 155ers before making this premature claim
You're using MMA math

would never know for sure until he does, but based on his performance against dustin, id reckon gaethje would break him, and also probably chandler.

Back