Max Holloway: I've Got A Passport to Crazy-Town

TheMMAnalyst

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2021/3/...-breaks-down-a-champions-mindset-ufc-mma-news

“On paper, you put down my stats, no one’s gonna pick me in a fight,” Holloway said. “‘What the f—k is this guy? F—ng next!’ But then, there’s that mental part and that heart part that you can’t measure. And that’s that ‘Crazy Land’ part. People don’t know what the f—k ‘Crazy Land’ is.

“If they see this guy, like, ‘Oh, OK, he got a passport to Crazy Land, but these are his stats, out of then, like threes.’ And this is the guy (he’s fighting), he’s got all nines, maybe a couple of tens in there, but he don’t have a passport to Crazy Land. Like, ‘F—k Crazy Land, this guy is great!’

While I agree with Max entirely that what separates the top dogs from the rest is all mental, I'm a little surprised that he sees himself as some sort of perennial underdog with sub-par stats....like where in the fuck would he give himself a 3?

Even if we broke down into unique sub-traits I'd rate (ball-park):

Striking (offense) - 8 or 9/10
Striking (defense) - 8 or 9/10
Wrestling (offense) - 5/10
Wrestling (defense) - 8/10
Grappling (offense) - 7/10
Grappling (defense) - 7/10
Athleticism (5'11' for FW, cuts from 170+, iron-chinned, endless cardio) - 8/10

I get it - he's not as explosive as prime Aldo or as strong as Chad Mendes, but it's always a trade-off...that's the reason those guys don't have his chin or cardio (and they also don't have his height+reach, tho Aldo has the reach).

Must still have a chip on his shoulder from the early UFC days when he was typically an underdog, but just odd he rates himself as being a "3" anywhere in the game, especially being champ for like half a decade.

I need Holloway at 155.

For reals....if Dustin hadn't landed that knee with 1 minute to go in the 4th round of their rematch I honestly feel like Max would've had it. He was coming on super-strong that round and was clearly winning until that knee drastically shifted the fight.

Not sure if his power can take him to the top of the division (highly unlikely actually) but every match-up he'd be in would be an epic war.

I think Max's humility and critical view of his skill level motivate him to train hard. He is obviously not paralyzed with feelings of inadequacy and is committed to training and getting better. Always rooting for Max and hope he focuses a little more on being the action fighter he is without taking so many shots.

Come, my lady
Come come, my lady
You're my butterfly, sugar baby

giphy.gif

There are guys at the office stronger and more explosive than him, not just the Mendes and Aldo's of the world. His chin is a 10, fight IQ is 10 and his skills are 10, but those are hard things to measure.

I need Holloway at 155.

He’d look extremely mediocre at 155lbs like he did against Porier.

He doesn’t even have power to put away FW’s, what makes you think he stands a chance in a much deeper LW division? Not only that but he’s also give up his height/size advantage he benefits from at FW.

Max is good at FW, no need to jump in the 155lbs shark tank.

He’d look extremely mediocre at 155lbs like he did against Porier.

He doesn’t even have power to put away FW’s, what makes you think he stands a chance in a much deeper LW division? Not only that but he’s also give up his height/size advantage he benefits from at FW.

Max is good at FW, no need to jump in the 155lbs shark tank.

I thought he had a great fight against Dustin. Took a couple rounds to adjust to the power then clearly won the 3rd and was winning the 4th until that knee wrecked his face. Still almost hit a rolling anaconda at the bell and also won the 5th after all that damage.

Probably needs to adjust his style at LW, can’t use his low-power/high-volume style against the big hitters without being ready to adapt to the counters.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2021/3/...-breaks-down-a-champions-mindset-ufc-mma-news

“On paper, you put down my stats, no one’s gonna pick me in a fight,” Holloway said. “‘What the f—k is this guy? F—ng next!’ But then, there’s that mental part and that heart part that you can’t measure. And that’s that ‘Crazy Land’ part. People don’t know what the f—k ‘Crazy Land’ is.

“If they see this guy, like, ‘Oh, OK, he got a passport to Crazy Land, but these are his stats, out of then, like threes.’ And this is the guy (he’s fighting), he’s got all nines, maybe a couple of tens in there, but he don’t have a passport to Crazy Land. Like, ‘F—k Crazy Land, this guy is great!’

While I agree with Max entirely that what separates the top dogs from the rest is all mental, I'm a little surprised that he sees himself as some sort of perennial underdog with sub-par stats....like where in the fuck would he give himself a 3?

Even if we broke down into unique sub-traits I'd rate (ball-park):

Striking (offense) - 8 or 9/10
Striking (defense) - 8 or 9/10
Wrestling (offense) - 5/10
Wrestling (defense) - 8/10
Grappling (offense) - 7/10
Grappling (defense) - 7/10
Athleticism (5'11' for FW, cuts from 170+, iron-chinned, endless cardio) - 8/10

I get it - he's not as explosive as prime Aldo or as strong as Chad Mendes, but it's always a trade-off...that's the reason those guys don't have his chin or cardio (and they also don't have his height+reach, tho Aldo has the reach).

Must still have a chip on his shoulder from the early UFC days when he was typically an underdog, but just odd he rates himself as being a "3" anywhere in the game, especially being champ for like half a decade.

I'd give Max wrestling. Defence at least 9. I mean whencmever does the get taken down - pretty much never.

For reals....if Dustin hadn't landed that knee with 1 minute to go in the 4th round of their rematch I honestly feel like Max would've had it. He was coming on super-strong that round and was clearly winning until that knee drastically shifted the fight.

Not sure if his power can take him to the top of the division (highly unlikely actually) but every match-up he'd be in would be an epic war.

I agree. If Dustin didn't win that fight, Max probably would have.

145 is best for Max

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Judoka_Noob
Back