"Max Holloway Is MMA's Marvin Hagler"- Luke Thomas

Casual Fan

Blue Belt
Reaction score

On this edition of the Monday Morning Analyst, Luke Thomas looks ahead to UFC 236’s main event between Max Holloway and Dustin Poirier, specifically Holloway's striking and the similarities Holloway shares with boxer Marvin Hagler.

Luke's a Hagler fan, and a boxing fan- I think he meant this in the kindest way possible. I suspect some people will revolt at this statement, but I am ok with it.

Can we find out what he means by this without having to listen to it?

That seems like a pretty loose association. It’s kind of like saying “mma goon x” likes Speaking softly and carrying big sticks so he is kind of mmas Theodore Roosevelt.

Notice how current mma "stars" are always being compared to boxing stars of one era or another? No one ever says, "Rousey is the Royce gracie of today, Conor is the modern day Liddel." It's always about Tyson, Ali, Hagler, Floyd. That's because comparisons to other mma fighters would have no impact on the audience, especially the casual audience. No one outside of the hardcore know who the fuck they were, lol. MMA is always referencing boxers to promote itself and its stars.

big balls. talented brawler.

Kind of a meaningless comparison, then, as they strike nothing alike. If we're talking great MWs, Monzon would be a better comparison in terms of style and even that seems forced for no particular reason.

Holloway is a damn impressive fighter, though.

You know Roy Jones Jr. respects the hands of Forest Griffin.

What's a Max Holloway ?

He shows an example of Hagler forcing Leonard to change directions with punches, Hagler switches stances while Leonard is moving away and hits him.
He shows Max forcing Ortega to move into another punch without the stance switch. There may have been more but it was such a stretch I didn't want to keep watching

I also think from the Hagler wasn't born with a silver spoon in his mouth, he's upset about Leonard winning that fight which is also hilarious.

You know Roy Jones Jr. respects the hands of Forest Griffin.
i heard this conor mcgregory fella is gonna box floyd merryweather

i think mcgregory can knock him out

Fights more like Juan Diaz. Luke Thomas is an SJW bitch boy.

Notice how current mma "stars" are always being compared to boxing stars of one era or another? No one ever says, "Rousey is the Royce gracie of today, Conor is the modern day Liddel." It's always about Tyson, Ali, Hagler, Floyd. That's because comparisons to other mma fighters would have no impact on the audience, especially the casual audience. No one outside of the hardcore know who the fuck they were, lol. MMA is always referencing boxers to promote itself and its stars.

this

Kind of a meaningless comparison, then, as they strike nothing alike. If we're talking great MWs, Monzon would be a better comparison in terms of style and even that seems forced for no particular reason.

Holloway is a damn impressive fighter, though.
And if we’re just talking about their career arcs, Aldo makes more sense as a comparison to Hagler IMO, though obviously not a perfect one

Basically McGregor = Mayweather Jr. because they both are good counter punchers.

Bad comparison video and not worth the watch.

I just can't let go the fact that MMA needs to compare it's fighters to boxers. You'll never hear a boxing analyst say "Errol Spence is the Roid'd Brazilian of boxing."

Boxing is king.

I just can't let go the fact that MMA needs to compare it's fighters to boxers. You'll never hear a boxing analyst say "Errol Spence is the Roid'd Brazilian of boxing."

Boxing is king.

Boxing > sloppy boxing, more often than not.

Back