Max Holloway: "Im still in the mix at 155"

Guess we’ll never know, Eddie tried to pull illegal strikes in both fights and paid for it

That he did.

Their first fight reminded me of Guillard vs Pearson. Rules aside, me eyes showed me the victor.

In that sense yes.... But like i said in the OP, that would probably be worse for max. He literally just lost to him.

We just saw that fight. They wouldnt make the same fight again this close. Specially when you consider it would be the third time they fought and Dustin took 2 already.... There isnt much of a rubber match to be had
A rematch wouldn't be a hard sell if Max put on a couple of impressive 145 defenses and with how inconsistently the rest of these 155 contenders fight it could happen sooner than we think

A rematch wouldn't be a hard sell if Max put on a couple of impressive 145 defenses and with how inconsistently the rest of these 155 contenders fight it could happen sooner than we think
Yeah sure... im not saying it wont ever happen. Just that it will at least take a while until they book that again imo

Everyone forgets how poirer got kod in his first fight at 155. If max stayed at 155 i feel confident that he would start hitting his stride and be able to earn his way to a legit title shot at lw.

I agree on everything until your last sentence.

I think its a terrible time to fight at lightweight... the division is super stacked right now.
And i dont agree that max would match up well against nate. Why do you think so? Nate is super long... max reach, which is one of his best atributes wont be there and nate can take a lot of damage. Since max cant dish out enough damage to finish 155ers (as it seems) he can only decision him most likely. Nate has decent cardio, so its not big deal fighting all rounds.

I dont know... what am i missing here?
I meant that Nate would match up well with a lot of guys at 155 at the moment. And that he'd also match up well against max. Personally think he'd smoke him actually

Does everything max does basically but better, just as good of cardio, iron chin, longer reach etc.

Prob didn't word it properly, it's early.

Also I meant stylistically it's a good time to fight at 155 for max and Nate. A lot of strikers

I meant that Nate would match up well with a lot of guys at 155 at the moment. And that he'd also match up well against max. Personally think he'd smoke him actually

Does everything max does basically but better, just as good of cardio, iron chin, longer reach etc.

Prob didn't word it properly, it's early.

Also I meant stylistically it's a good time to fight at 155 for max and Nate. A lot of strikers
Ahhh

got you now, then id have to agree

<Wink>

Turns out using your face as defence doesn't work at a higher weight.

Had a close fight against one of the best in the division, a draw in my opinion. With some bulk dude is right up there in championship contention for quite some time.

Everyone forgets how poirer got kod in his first fight at 155. If max stayed at 155 i feel confident that he would start hitting his stride and be able to earn his way to a legit title shot at lw.

It was also pretty obvious Poirer was substantially bigger in their rematch. It will take time for Max to get his body mass in the right proportion for 155lbs.

Either way, he dropped a 3-2 decision against the current title challenger, Max would be just fine fighting top 10 opponents.

He should be more disciplined with his weight and stay at fw. He's a tall lanky guy but he is slender af, looked out of shape at lw. Not much punching power, not strong enough for the weight class either. He's definitely best suited at fw.

He's not, but i guess as a 145 champion he is permanently "in the mix" at 155.

Nope. too lanky and lost power against Poirier. He's better at FW with his reach and height, at LW he's just a lanky guy with no snap in his punches and being a volume striker in LW with no power... Gaethje will smother him.

I agree on everything until your last sentence.

I think its a terrible time to fight at lightweight... the division is super stacked right now.
And i dont agree that max would match up well against nate. Why do you think so? Nate is super long... max reach, which is one of his best atributes wont be there and nate can take a lot of damage. Since max cant dish out enough damage to finish 155ers (as it seems) he can only decision him most likely. Nate has decent cardio, so its not big deal fighting all rounds.

I dont know... what am i missing here?

how did i not hear about that fight in your av? ha

Holloway is still the 145 lB champ and he gave a much better fight than Justin, Pettis, and Eddie did.

He’s definitely still in the mix, just needs to put on more weight
Yep, the fight was competitive and he wasn’t in any danger of being finished during , Dustin hammered him for sure but sherdog is the only place that likes to blow everything out of proportion

Max has the skills he just needs to take time and put on a little more muscle and work on his grappling because he wont be able to just stand at 155. He will have to mix it up more. He cant jump back and forth in divisions. Maybe fight Edgar and Volk then concentrate on putting muscle on his frame because he didnt take the punches at 155 the same way.

Holloway is still the 145 lB champ and he gave a much better fight than Justin, Pettis, and Eddie did.

He’s definitely still in the mix, just needs to put on more weight
what mix, I think you missed the fight. he got absolutely destroyed. he needs at least one or 2 fights to prove he's worthy

Possibly, more time to acclimate to 155 (such as Dustin has obviously had) would yield better results for him.

Eddie beat Dustin down in their first fight, knee or no knee.
eddie was getting destroyed (as usual), then when he was on zombie mode he caught dustin and turned the fight around. then cheated to win. then in the second fight he got destroyed again. you say like eddie put up a great performance in either fight. that never happened

remember that eddie just got destroyed by an absolute nobody in oneFC

Last edited:
max would likely settle right on the borderline of the top 5 LWs. I have a hard time picking him against the likes of khabib, poirier (again), tony, gaethje or conor

Why is he always talking about fighting guys at 155,170, 185 or a HW Cormier when in fact he is not leaving FW? Its also a weight class that he has trouble making weight yet he doesnt move up. Probably instead of talking about fighting guys from 170-265 maybe he should just do it. We already seen he will never be champ at LW so why all this talk? Stay in your lane Max.

Back