Max Holloway: "Im still in the mix at 155"

Verace

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
“Birds fly, fishes swim, I fight,” Holloway told MMA Junkie on Tuesday. “It ain’t nothing. You send me a contract with Daniel Cormier’s name on top tomorrow, you know I’m signing it. ‘DC’ I love you, my man, but I’m a fighter. It is what it is. This is a bump in the road and I can’t wait to get back. ’55 is still there. ’55 there’s a lot of challenges.

“When I lost to Dustin the first time at ’45, the ladder was so long to the belt. But the ’55 ladder, it’s right there. I’m in the mix. If I go up there I feel I’ll be right in the mix with all the top contenders. No disrespect to them, but I think it’s a fun weight class to be. We’ll see what happens.”

“Nothing really surprised me,” Holloway said. “I knew Dustin was game and he was going to show up to the fight and he did. He did that day. He got the nod and that’s what it is. I ain’t mad. I ain’t mad at him. I ain’t mad at nobody. If I wanted to win the fight I should’ve finished. I couldn’t find myself and fair play to him. He went out there and did his thing and he got the W.”

“The adjusting, whatever, I’m a fighter,” Holloway said. “If they called me up to fight tomorrow, I’ll fight tomorrow. That’s what I do. I got no excuses. I ain’t taking nothing away from Dustin. You guys will see. The next time I’m at ’55, the next time we at ’70, 185 – whatever weight class I choose to do (you will see).”

“The Blessed Express is still full steam ahead,” Holloway said. “You guys better stay buckled on because the seats is overfilling. You guys better hold on tight because if anybody ever went to Japan they have this bullet train. The Blessed Express is coming 10 times faster.”

https://mmajunkie.com/2019/05/max-holloway-im-in-the-mix-at-lightweight-despite-featherweight-return

Is he though? Im not sure if by "in the mix" he is talking about a title shot... which unfortunately i dont think he is anywhere near at this point. He would need at least a win and some luck for things to go his way. I dont see him getting that shot any time soon. Specially if Dustin beats Khabib...

The top 10 at lightweight is very crowded. As a matter of fact im not even sure how he would do against them. Lots of guys big enough to be fighting at 170 doing massive cuts. I dont think these matchups are very favorable to him.
What you think?

Last edited:
He's obviously much more well suited for FW where his speed is still competitive, and his reach is about as good as it gets.

Holloway is still the 145 lB champ and he gave a much better fight than Justin, Pettis, and Eddie did.

He’s definitely still in the mix, just needs to put on more weight

Possibly, more time to acclimate to 155 (such as Dustin has obviously had) would yield better results for him.

Eddie beat Dustin down in their first fight, knee or no knee.

His head cant be at 2 places 145,155, if he really wants to be at 155 he needs to stay there, fill out, get some muscles

Very tough to not like the guy -- I don't feel he is that far removed from another shot, but as TS said, it will not be easy. I'm thinking a defense at 145 and another win or 2 at 155 could get him the shot if the stars align.

I like Max's attitude after he lost against Poirrier and he is only 27 and his best days coming soon. And it's not a shame lose to Poirrier. Poirrier winning streak is amazing right now and i could say it tops Rafeal Dos Anjos streak who eventually became a champ.

Last edited:
“Birds fly, fishes swim, I fight,” Holloway told MMA Junkie on Tuesday. “It ain’t nothing. You send me a contract with Daniel Cormier’s name on top tomorrow, you know I’m signing it. ‘DC’ I love you, my man, but I’m a fighter. It is what it is. This is a bump in the road and I can’t wait to get back. ’55 is still there. ’55 there’s a lot of challenges.

“When I lost to Dustin the first time at ’45, the ladder was so long to the belt. But the ’55 ladder, it’s right there. I’m in the mix. If I go up there I feel I’ll be right in the mix with all the top contenders. No disrespect to them, but I think it’s a fun weight class to be. We’ll see what happens.”

“Nothing really surprised me,” Holloway said. “I knew Dustin was game and he was going to show up to the fight and he did. He did that day. He got the nod and that’s what it is. I ain’t mad. I ain’t mad at him. I ain’t mad at nobody. If I wanted to win the fight I should’ve finished. I couldn’t find myself and fair play to him. He went out there and did his thing and he got the W.”

“The adjusting, whatever, I’m a fighter,” Holloway said. “If they called me up to fight tomorrow, I’ll fight tomorrow. That’s what I do. I got no excuses. I ain’t taking nothing away from Dustin. You guys will see. The next time I’m at ’55, the next time we at ’70, 185 – whatever weight class I choose to do (you will see).”

“The Blessed Express is still full steam ahead,” Holloway said. “You guys better stay buckled on because the seats is overfilling. You guys better hold on tight because if anybody ever went to Japan they have this bullet train. The Blessed Express is coming 10 times faster.”

https://mmajunkie.com/2019/05/max-holloway-im-in-the-mix-at-lightweight-despite-featherweight-return

Is he though? Im not sure if by "in the mix" he is talking about a title shot... which unfortunately i dont think he is anywhere near at this point. He would need at least a win and some luck for things to turn his way. I dont see him getting that shot any time soon. Specially if Dustin beats Khabib...

The top 10 at lightweight is very crowded. As a matter of fact im not even sure how he would do against them. Lots of guys big enough to be fighting at 170 doing massive cuts. I dont think these matchups are very favorable to him.
What you think?
Wel he won 2 rounds

It was a winnable fight for him for sure

I thought he'd end up Pulling out the 5th but Poirier came on strong

With some adjustments, a bit more mass so it's more of a level playing field.. He's definitely still in there.

It's not a bad time to fight at 155 at the moment. Nate would match up very well vs a lot of guys as well. Including max

Once he drops the 45 belt and can do like 20 weeks of s&c to get his body acclimated to being a lw, his power will translate. He just wasnt big enough or have enough stopping power to get any 55s to stop coming forward. Max's game relies on his hands and tons of pressure. He just wasnt big enough or hit hard enough to make poirier take a step back so he could use his volume, and pressure. But hes young enough and skilled enough that his body can absolutely turn into a good sized lw. He just needs to decide if he wants to remain a dominant champ at 45 or be a contender at 55. He can't do both successfully IMO

Wel he won 2 rounds

It was a winnable fight for him for sure

I thought he'd end up Pulling out the 5th but Poirier came on strong

With some adjustments, a bit more mass so it's more of a level playing field.. He's definitely still in there.

It's not a bad time to fight at 155 at the moment. Nate would match up very well vs a lot of guys as well. Including max

I agree on everything until your last sentence.

I think its a terrible time to fight at lightweight... the division is super stacked right now.
And i dont agree that max would match up well against nate. Why do you think so? Nate is super long... max reach, which is one of his best atributes wont be there and nate can take a lot of damage. Since max cant dish out enough damage to finish 155ers (as it seems) he can only decision him most likely. Nate has decent cardio, so its not big deal fighting all rounds.

I dont know... what am i missing here?

Maybe
What if Porier beats Khabib?

All of sudden Max's competitive fight with Porier ain't looking so bad

Maybe
What if Porier beats Khabib?

All of sudden Max's competitive fight with Porier ain't looking so bad
In that sense yes.... But like i said in the OP, that would probably be worse for max. He literally just lost to him.

We just saw that fight. They wouldnt make the same fight again this close. Specially when you consider it would be the third time they fought and Dustin took 2 already.... There isnt much of a rubber match to be had

Re-watched 236 last night on ESPN+, the 2 title fights anyway, & DP/Max was a lot more competitive than I thought watching live. Round 1 was a 10-8 for sure, Max won almost all of round 2 but then got hurt at the end. Round 3 was competitive but Poirier was rocked & outlanded. Rounds 4 & 5 were about as close as a round gets. I can now see the draw that some people scored on fight night, who I thought were delusional. But Poirier clearly won the fight under pride rules, but anything from 49-45 to 47-47 is feasible giving the scoring system.

If Max is going to go back up to 155, he should do like Nunes and take 4-5 months to bulk up before going into a camp. Even tho his thighs & arms were comparable in size, his back & entire torso were noticeably much smaller. Very narrow build while Poirier has very wide shoulders & hips.

As tall as Max is I feel like he may be best suited for 145, contrary to me pushing him to move up for the last 2 years.

Back