Max has been an example of favorable matchmaking

Maybe a bit, but his win streak against UFC level competition is still impressive as hell. Not to mention he beat Aldo twice, and Aldo is not a favorable matchup for anybody.

Everyone can be a can to fit a narrative I guess.

I just realised Khabib vs Edgar at 155 might be my dream fight. But Edgar vs Max at 145 would do as well.

This is not true at all though.. Wtf. Even if you go by credentials, Trujillo, Shalorus and Healy are all more credentialed than the best wrestler Holloway has fought.

Lamas and Bermudez? I don't think so.

Lamas and Bermudez? I don't think so.
Lamas was Division 3 fodder, not better than Div 2 all American 170er Healy, and Olympic qualifier Shalorus. Bermudez has never been a great mma wrestler either and should realistically be fighting at 135.

Lamas was Division 3 fodder, not better than Div 2 all American 170er Healy, and Olympic qualifier Shalorus. Bermudez has never been a great mma wrestler either and should realistically be fighting at 135.

Lol check your facts. Healy was not an All-American, Lamas was. Shalorus took part in an Olympic qualifier tournament for Great Britain, which is not that impressive. Bermudez was a D1 All-American and his wrestling was how he won all his fights so you calling him not a great MMA wrestler is pretty silly since he's a better MMA wrestler than anyone you mentioned. And based on Octagon performance, Lamas is the best MMA wrestler out of all these names.

Last edited:
His weaknesses are tdd and defense on the bottom but he's lording over a division sans fighters who are great at exploiting that.

Lol check your facts. Healy was not an All-American, Lamas was. Shalorus took part in an Olympic qualifier tournament for Great Britain, which is not that impressive. Bermudez was a D1 All-American and his wrestling was how he won all his fights so you calling him not a great MMA wrestler is pretty silly since he's a better MMA wrestler than anyone you mentioned. And based on Octagon performance, Lamas is the best MMA wrestler out of all these names.
Based on mma wrestling, Healy is a better MMA wrestler than Lamas for sure. I read somewhere that he was a D2 All American, but even if he wasn't an all American those credentials still supercede being a D3 guy. Prime Healy wrestlefucking Miller is a better mma wrestling performance than any performance a guy who faced Max has had.

Abel Trujillo being a four time NAIA all American would also be better credentials than Lamas'.

Is this a wasteland thread or are we still AFD here?

I was also shocked by how non-existent his footwork was in the Ortega after rewatching it, especially after that thread about Max being the best striker in the UFC. He was doing his best example of a Wacky Arm Flailing Inflatable Tube Man in that fight, relying on moving his upper body to both land and avoid shots while his legs stayed still once throwing, rather than moving his lower body closer or further back.

It's a particularly perplexing thing seeing as while he's tall and therefore can lean further than most FWs, he only has a 69in reach. His footwork should be being used to overcome his short reach, but instead he just leans his torso further to add a few inches to it. Which is also why he gets cracked so often despite "dominating" the standup seeing as he has an artificial reach, is staying still, and his chin is in front of his feet.

Someone someday is going to "punch a hole in his fucking chest" like Weidman did to Silva when Silva kept moving his torso rather than his feet and Longo famously told Chris to aim for the chest instead of the chin as that's where Silva's head was ending up on these dips.

Favorable as in he beats everyone they put in the cage with him, yeah

lol. was losing both fights until aldo gassed, also imo also a past prime aldo. dustin seems to be really hitting his stride as well. and +225 seems crazy to me
It's one of those cases where if Max is really as good as he's looked recently they're not too far off, but it is a new weight class and he's fighting an opponent on an upswing with a lot of confidence. My pick is Max, but there could be some money to be made here with a bet on Dustin.

Back