Max BOR

Oh, and here is how I work barbell rows, usually they're done after 1-2 DL variants, so my back is tired, where as the above workout was done with fresh back.

I do 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps. I start heavy, with a weight I can do 3X3 with decent form. I then add weight (5-10lbs) a week until my form is too sloppy. When this happens, I begin to add volume, switching to 3X5, then 4X5 etc. Also, during this process of adding volume, I really work at making the row more strict.

However, doing rows from a dead hang shouldn't be how you do most of your rowing though. Put a little body english into it, move the big weights, and your back will grow. I am a bit chubby, but I think most of the people on this board who've seen pics of me will attest that my back and traps are quite well developed.

CarnalSalvation said:
I think most of the people on this board who've seen pics of me will attest that my back and traps are quite well developed.

The one picture I saw of your traps, I thought you may have had someone else's lats implanted over the back of your neck.

242 lbs (110 kgs) for 5 strict reps.

Sidenote: The most i ever deadlifted was 330 lbs (could never train the DL seriously but i still think its funny).

A question about BOR. Is form essential to growing lats, or could you let your back a little loose and let it move naturally? I find it hard to have the back paralell to the floor when I row heavy.

thomas87 said:
I find it hard to have the back paralell to the floor when I row heavy.

Is that even possible to keep a form like that?

I find that BOR's are one of those movements that shouldn't really be done that strict. I'm not saying you should be going as loose as possible but a little body english is fine. In fact, the only time I've ever hurt myself doing rows is when I was trying to keep my form EXTRA tight. Ditto for high pulls, laterals, and the dreaded upright rows, I see guys all the time doing SUPER STRICT versions of these with REALLY light weights.

You need great flexibility and balance to pull off the super strick version of BOR.

I can't bend down like that. It hurts like a motherfucker when I do try.

I've been doing them with high reps lately, 265x10 being my best. I just hit a wall with that rep range so I'm adding weight and switching to 5's, hoping to get 300x5 in a month or two. I really don't bend down that far though, @ about 45 degrees. The range of motion at that angle is short, but I don't use any body english.

CarnalSalvation said:
I did my best BOR workout ever two weeks ago.

BB Rows
245X6
295X5
315X5
335X3
355X3
385X3
410X3

I do not claim these as "strict" however. Just like I discriminate between a competition style bench and a gym style bench. I cut probably the first 2-3" of ROM off with my legs to use less of my biceps and really get my lats and traps into the lift completely. My torso isn't always 90 degrees, but I don't do them at 45 degrees like Yates either.

Hory crap! *runs away arms flailing, tears flowing..*

wow. i will try to loosen up on the form a little. i wish i could do these inverted rows. 410 on the bor's. thats crazy

HULKAMANIA said:
Hahaha, well actually my girlfriend is like 5'2." I don't think that makes her a midget, though.
Hey that's how tall my girl is. Wait a minute, what' s your girls name?]

Anyway, my last session I did Bent Rows 275x5x3

bacon said:
Hory crap! *runs away arms flailing, tears flowing..*

you better toughen up Bacon, or you won't go anywhere.

rickdog said:
Hey that's how tall my girl is. Wait a minute, what' s your girls name?]

Anyway, my last session I did Bent Rows 275x5x3

I'll kill you!

We should do the American Gladiator joust above a pool of frenzied sharks. That's my vote anyway.

Listen Hulkster, steel cage match it is. And I vote Mean Jean as the ref.

365 for 5-7 with with average form and underhand grip,

Fedorable said:
you better toughen up Bacon, or you won't go anywhere.

It was an attempt at humor....I didn't really *run away arms flailing, tears flowing..*
I was producing complete leg and foot push, all unused muscles were relaxed, I did not bounce, and I was using the best possible leg speed frequency to stride length ratio possible. My form was excellent...

Back