Max and Volk are head and shoulders above the rest of the division

ExitLUPin

K
@Steel
Reaction score
theyre both at least a tier ahead of everyone else @ 145

cant remember the last time 2 fighters were so far ahead of the rest of the division maybe GSP and Fitch back in the day but even then you could argue Kos couldve beat Fitch but theyd never fight. 2nd closest is prolly Usman/Colby but I could still see multiple matchups that could beat either specially Colby. Izzy/Whittaker are up there but Yoel arguably beat both even tho he isnt in the UFC anymore

I dont see anyone else beating these 2 in a 5 rounder.

those picking Brian to dethrone Volk are gonna be very confused when Volk finishes him

cant remember the last time 2 fighters were so far ahead of the rest of the division maybe GSP and Fitch back in the day but even then you could argue Kos couldve beat Fitch but theyd never fight. 2nd closest is prolly Usman/Colby but I could still see multiple matchups that could beat either specially Colby. Izzy/Whittaker are up there but Yoel arguably beat both even tho he isnt in the UFC anymore

those picking Brian to dethrone Volk are gonna be very confused when Volk finishes him
Ortega 2.0 has ways to win. He can sub Volk if he gets grappling heavy and he can fight in a similar way he did in Zombie fight to win on points in a striking match. His movement and reach advantage can get him the win on points that way while Volk tries to chase him down like Zombie was.

There is zero evidence that Volk is far ahead of everyone else in the division. There are plenty of fights left for him to test his skills I favor Ortega in their fight and I think Zabit would beat him too.

A reasonable MMA fan shouldn't be too confused no matter which way this goes. I pick Brian to dethrone Volk but it's not like I'll be shocked if Volk finishes him...

There is zero evidence that Volk is far ahead of everyone else in the division. There are plenty of fights left for him to test his skills I favor Ortega in their fight and I think Zabit would beat him too.
Is there any evidence Max is? Are you seriously suggesting Max is head and shoulders above the rest of the division despite having lost twice to Volkanovski?

All i'll say is Ortega certainly offers Volk something none of his opponents have thus far, will be interesting to see how that goes down, the lack of a real takedown threat from Volk will hinder his striking for sure, but can Ortega stand toe to toe with that power, chin so far suggests he can, can't wait will be a great! One of my most anticipated fights now.

CCC can beat volk. Good style match up for him. Max would be a little bit more difficult but I can also see CCC wrestling him for the W.

Is there any evidence Max is? Are you seriously suggesting Max is head and shoulders above the rest of the division despite having lost twice to Volkanovski?

I mean the fights were pretty close...

I mean the fights were pretty close...
So you're agreeing with my original question to the poster I was responding to when he suggested oddly that only Volk wasn't head and shoulder's above the division but declined to say the same thing about Max.

Ortega 2.0 says hello
i would bet my whole fortune on him against volk

A reasonable MMA fan shouldn't be too confused no matter which way this goes. I pick Brian to dethrone Volk but it's not like I'll be shocked if Volk finishes him...
Boring Volk isn't finishing anyone anymore

I agree, I don't like the fact the UFC is pushing for a rematch so soon.

Instead of potentially burying Max's FW career, let him fight another higher ranked contender coming off a win. Let Max potentially build a nice winning streak going into the third clash. This will add more intrigue and possibly answer some looming questions about Max's skillset that we haven't seen in awhile.

Max vs Zabit for the next title shot. Zabit has a win over Kattar too, so this makes sense. The former champ will have his grappling tested, while Zabit will have the biggest test of his career, and the opportunity to show he can deal with volume strikers with cardio. Max smashed the #6 contender, so time for #3.

Then the loser of this upcoming title fight gets Yair mid 2021.

Last edited:
So you're agreeing with my original question to the poster I was responding to when he suggested oddly that only Volk wasn't head and shoulder's above the division but declined to say the same thing about Max.

Yup.

0003700078280_2_A1C1_1200.png

My pick for the year is ortega to beat volk and Max is subsequently box ortegas head off again to reclaim the strap

Styles make fights. Holloway was robbed in the second fight. Volk did point fight to a decision against Max the first fight and was gifted a decision the second fight. Max has a case for being ahead of the rest of the division. He had an off night the first fight and came back to show how good he is and was robbed. I personally don’t think either is far ahead of the division. I do think that Max is a better fighter than Volk and Ortega will finish him to setup the rematch with Max.

I couldn't agree more. People are sleeping on how good Volk is. He is so well rounded and will take the fight anywhere he has to and find the path to victory.

Styles make fights. Holloway was robbed in the second fight. Volk did point fight to a decision against Max the first fight and was gifted a decision the second fight. Max has a case for being ahead of the rest of the division. He had an off night the first fight and came back to show how good he is and was robbed. I personally don’t think either is far ahead of the division. I do think that Max is a better fighter than Volk and Ortega will finish him to setup the rematch with Max.
Max didn't have an off night the first fight, Volk took out his legs. I thought Max won the second fight (it was very close, split decision). I think Ortega will get smoked. I'm not a big believer in Ortega 2.0 sequel stuff but then again I wasn't a fan of "New Coke" either.

So Max had an off first night so it doesn't count? If he was clearly better wouldn't he have won the second in a more decisive fashion so he wouldn't have been in a position as you put it to be robbed? Couldn't Volk have had an off night in the second fight? As for robbed honestly the word has lost all meaning given how casually it's tossed around these days whenever ones favorite fighter doesn't win a decision. There may be some sort of twisted logic in your post but I'll be damned if I can find any.

Back