Mauler's missed opportunities

egglybagleface

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm actually not sure how this will even play out in his fight with Rumble, but it seems like Gustafsson has a tendency to run away from take downs and scrambles.

His opponent will wrap up a leg and he takes off, which is probably the one thing holding me back from nuthugging.

Do you think this is a weakness in his game, or is he simply playing it smart? I've seen other guys run and get lots of flack for it, but not Gus.

Still pulling for him though, I want to see that rematch!

A hockey reference...

I'd rather move and avoid the hit rather than absorbing it and fighting to stay standing

I'm actually not sure how this will even play out in his fight with Rumble, but it seems like Gustafsson has a tendency to run away from take downs and scrambles.

His opponent will wrap up a leg and he takes off, which is probably the one thing holding me back from nuthugging.

Do you think this is a weakness in his game, or is he simply playing it smart? I've seen other guys run and get lots of flack for it, but not Gus.

Still pulling for him though, I want to see that rematch!

He's been heavily conditioned to maintain distance from his coaches. It's why he does that. It's actually the reason why he didn't finish Shogun or Thiago because he kept resetting. I tend to get annoyed when he does that. He would have fucked up Jones even worse. Probably would knocked him out if he didn't keep resetting.

Gus will win, and then he will beat Jones... Again.

That's funny, I seem to remember all three judges scoring the fight for Jones and Jones retaining the belt. My memory could be off though. Just stick to bringing up his coke use if you're gonna be a hater.

Footwork is his bread and butter to the extent that he used it to put untold amounts of hurtin' on the best currently active MMArtist. He doesn't want to get his feet tangled so he runs. Smart, and has worked so far.

Hey I just call it like I see it, I love Gus, but the dude literally runs, back foot leaves the ground before the front foot hits.

I think you're right though, quit resetting, he could seriously have a chance against Jones if he gets the rematch.

That's funny, I seem to remember all three judges scoring the fight for Jones and Jones retaining the belt. My memory could be off though. Just stick to bringing up his coke use if you're gonna be a hater.

Yes, because 49-46 is a completely unbiased score considering that Jones went to the hospital afterwards while Gus stayed and mingled with the press.

You might want to join the haters circle some time, we don't get a lot of Jones' tears (although they're plentyful currently, since his life is in pieces - good times), but they must taste a whole lot better than his ball sweat.

Huh? However he can avoid getting taken down and elbowed into oblivion by JJ sounds like a good strategy to me.

You think he should try out his guard game or what? Or try to fend off the TD and knock his opponent out at the same time? Is this sounding stupid to anyone else?

I can only remember it happening like twice in the Jones fight. And Jones was seriously diving for a takedown at that point. So no shame in a bit of running.

Yes, because 49-46 is a completely unbiased score considering that Jones went to the hospital afterwards while Gus stayed and mingled with the press.

No doubt. That's why Chael obviously beat Jones too.
Hospital visits is the best way to score a fight.

He only ran to just move away from the takedown. What else should he do? Just stand there? He uses his footwork and range to his advantage.

Alright so you're wondering why he is moving away from the takedown attempts? Should he just allow himself to get taken down?

His biggest missed opportunities in the Jones fight were in the clinch breaks. It seemed there was a lot of opportunities for hooks on the break. Kind of like here at 1m 27s: but gus was a more worried about takedowns so ran off after breaking clinch

Back