Matt Serra's Legacy

1circle

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Matt Serra is the first North American to earn a black belt from Renzo Gracie, a silver medal winner at ADCC, and a former UFC Welterweight champion. That said, many dismiss his accomplishments and attempt to tarnish his legacy.

It appears that the disrespect of Serra is tied to the desire to besmirch St. Pierre, since St. Pierre's loss to Serra is his most memorable defeat.

I've always thought the "epic upset" label for that fight was unjust to Serra. In an era when Hughes, Penn, and St. Pierre were all considered, at one time or another, the pound for pound best, only Serra could argue he has wins over all 3. Serra's losses to Penn and Hughes were controversial. Many thought, at the time, that the Penn-Serra fight was a perfect draw.

Even without wishing to re-write scorecards, it's safe to say that Serra fought Penn, Hughes, and St. Pierre and gave all 3 hell.

I really hope he begins to be recognized as a deserving champ. The UFC should recognize him in the Hall of Fame.

How would today's version of same fighter fare against their younger, more agile, selves?

LW Serra vs LongoWeight Serra

We have had Royce, Caio Terra, etc at my gym for seminars and I never gave a fuck. We had Matt Serra and I was away. He was the one seminar I ever wanted to go to.

He will be known as the man who made GSP become a safe fighter.

Serra will always be known as the guy who knocked out GSP.

And that will always be an awesome legacy.

He has a legacy for sure, a skilled guy who became the world champion in ufc, more than anything he is a character and later became a high profile trainer and trained at this point allready one world champion, serra has his merits. He is by no means a legend in the sport but could arguably be in the hall of fame contributors wing or the pioneers wing.

That said, many dismiss his accomplishments and attempt to tarnish his legacy.

Who are these many?

Ive barely heard anyone question Matt's legacy tbh. I think you are making this up.

edit: come to think of it, I cant think of a time ive ever heard someone try and tarnish his legacy. UFC champ, and widely regarded as one of the best coaches out there.

Fatt Serra has accomplished a lot, as fighter, grappler, bjj teacher, and MMA coach.

In my mind his legacy is solid.
I do not think he will be in the hall of fame, but people do recognize him for giving gsp his last loss on paper, winning the belt after he got a questionable decision against Lytle and IMO they should of just gave Karo the shot right there and simply giving the winner of the show a nice contract.
In my opinion it was the biggest title fight upset in UFC history, even highter the Rousey Holm becuse gsp was better everywhere and since Ronda is more vulnerable to upsets like that and then having here soul taken.. sorry wmmma fans.
He got the tko and got the belt. Alot of Sherdoggers hated hughes and liked serra on season 6, but I personally didn't care for the way Serra continued to bash Hughes and create a bad image for him on national tv, even though Hughes was not doing anything to retaliate other then say he thought he would win the fight (bad trash talk vs good trash talk)

GSP got his revenge........ Serra and Hughes, both physically well past there primes fought at ufc 98 where Serra landed some solid shots in the begining but then by the end of the first hughes took control, won the second round, and the 3rd round goes down to 1 td a piece, hughes getting the better slightly of the limited standup, and the proffesional judges gave it to Hughes, which while alot of fans disagreed with it, I thought it was a right call.
Serra did prove alot in that fight though, avoided hughes gnp like a boss, fought albeit an old hughes to a standstill
Then he ko'd trigg to show that he really did have some good power in his hands. Injuries, age, and perhaps a rise of talent at WW caused Serra to suddenly become a non factor, Lytle pretty much dominating him at ufc 119.

Hespect him for the most part. I didn't like how he verbally disrespected another guy so much on national tv even if you don't like him, keep it between him and you.

oh, and fuck you Georges.

I remember him mostly as the insanely loud coach on tuf.

Some of the reasoning for his criticism is based on how he got the title shot, which was by winning the TUF season that was basically giving guys who had spotty records and UFC losses a chance at a title shot, which is admitted pretty odd logic.

Except that GSP finished 2 of his next 3 opponents after beating serra
He fucked serra up and then made blowjob penn quit. Not bad but he could have finished a lot more. Still tied for Goat with Fedor.

I do think its not fair to Serra that his victory over GSP is seen as a fluke, considering he used good technique to win. He pushed GSP to using fight IQ to win instead of his natural abilities, so in that sense I dont know how Serra's win was by any means a fluke.

GSP was clearly weary of Serra's ground game being one of the few legit black belts at the time. So he kept it standing and got knocked down and tapped to strikes.

Back