Matt Serra: (Conor's) Ground Game is underrated

It's funny how so many pros and trainers all say how McGregors ground game is very underrated and he did display that in the Khabib fight. Guys like Serra, Sonnen, Mir and many others will say that and yet........SHERtards feel they know better than them and always say the opposite. Please explain to me why we should listen to you?????

And they say Conor fans are delusional lmfao
I think more than me being an actual fan of Conor

A lot of me trying to interject in so many Conor related topics is that I've seen some of the most irrational, shitty and downright dishonest thinking and analysis when it comes to anything to do with him.

For many years I've heard some of the most ridiculous shit, borderline delusional..and I've been watching mma since early pride.

How much his ground game sucks is obviously exaggerated, but it's not good either. He's been training BJJ for over a decade, so it's not like he's James Toney, but his ground game is entirely defensive and that defense deteriorates as he gets tired and he gives up his neck, which is why he's been subbed twice in his last 4 fights. The one time he was getting beat up and didn't give it away was the Mendes fight, and that was both because Mendes was visibly much more tired and Conor hadn't made enough money yet to say "fuck that, I want out".

Yeah he came out for the third against khabib smiling, not disheartened at all after taking a beating in the second. Very similar to after the first round In the mendes fight.

Definitely has heart. Think people sort of blur the lines between gassing hard and quitting mentally tho. People also think tapping equates to no heart lol

How many people here have been gassed and tried to fight out of positions? Fatigue makes cowards of men

the thing is, based on what i read here, most sherdoggers have never worked out hard enough to feel what its like to be truly gassed. As if the body is this invincible machine that can just keep going.

Conor gasses. Even when he fought Nate the first time, it wasn’t like he got choked out out of the blue. He got hit with a really good one two, was on skates, tired and basically was done for. It doesn’t diminish the wins of those who’ve beat him and it’s definitely a flaw of his, but this is the more plausible explanation for his “quitting.”

Plus he’s definitely gotten more muscular since his fights as a FW, so it’s natural.

Eddie Bravo said, when Conor first was in the UFC, came into 10th planet and asked to roll with there black belts. He did quite well, per eddies description. And I know, Eddie is pretty out there

I think I'll stick with what I heard from the sherdog keyboard experts.. they always seem to know best

<36>

Yes, and his top game is over rated. Except when he is fighting midgets.

So Serra, mir, and sonnen plus many others were wrong in their assessment of McGregors ground gsme, care to explain how you know more than them??

You know what? Save yourself the embarrassment and DONT reply.
You're WAY out of your league
What are you even talking about? I never said they were wrong you stupid fuck. I was explaining why Conor did "better" than others on the ground against Khabib. I actually agree his ground game is underrated. What he lacks is heart and thats why he gets tapped when he loses

LOL at me being out of my league. The best you had was "These other people said things". Come up with your own opinions buddy. Just a typical Conor fan not smart enough to give an opinion that they didn't take from someone else

Every time discussions about Conor's supposedly poor ground game comes up, it's funny how people try and avoid discussing the Brandao fight like it's the plague.
Oh, you mean that time he grappled with a 2nd degree BJJ BB with ease DOESN'T support your narrative??? Well, better not discuss that fight!
People have likely never seen that fight, or ever really seen Conor grapple. The talk shit as if they know, when they know nothing really. Guys who train with him know. Guys who teach him know. Not guys who watched him fight since he blew up as a star. Most never bothered to watch his pre ufc fights. I've watched all, and know that he has some skill. He is not a great grappler, not a maia slick bbn guy...but is well versed in it.
Khabib made other BJJ black belts look far worse than Conor did. Conors issue is stamina not grappling. He has been subbed when his tank is on empty, not when he is fresh. Yes he gives his back, yes he does it to end the fight. People say no heart...but it takes a lot of heart to get in there in the 1st place.
It's like mirko...no one who watched his highlights etc know he can really grapple. He has even subbed people. Does he go in a fight with the intention of grappling and subbing the opponent? Hell no, because his striking is his bread and butter just like Conor. I'm no conor but hugger by any means, but it's really dumb of anyone to think a guy who had been champ of 2 divisions is horrible at grappling. It's only under rated because alot of the people rating it are the same people that think he has no ground game.

No its his cardio. He showed heart in the Mendes fight, Nate 2, Floyd, and even in his Khabib fight. When his cardio is sapped he gasses really hard. Some fighters are better at hiding it and pacing themselves than others.

4th round of Nate 2 was the best example of his heart.
No heart you mean

Conor did better than both MJ and Poirier on the ground. he neutralized Khabib's insane GnP for a round. That's not easy.

Agreed I thought he was going to get ragdolled since his TDD looked so shit against Mendes but i remember he blew his ACL or some shit before the fight.

He did great against Khabib all things considered I remember thinking he prob got tired after the first TDD he did in that fight. imo he should conserve energy work on defense from his back, play possum, breathe hard act winded. when Khabib decides to stand with him for a round when he thinks hes gased and try to catch him off guard with fresh arms and put him to sleep.

the thing is, based on what i read here, most sherdoggers have never worked out hard enough to feel what its like to be truly gassed. As if the body is this invincible machine that can just keep going.

Conor gasses. Even when he fought Nate the first time, it wasn’t like he got choked out out of the blue. He got hit with a really good one two, was on skates, tired and basically was done for. It doesn’t diminish the wins of those who’ve beat him and it’s definitely a flaw of his, but this is the more plausible explanation for his “quitting.”

Plus he’s definitely gotten more muscular since his fights as a FW, so it’s natural.
What you said was very logical and rational

I think people blur the lines between cardio and heart a fair bit

When you dont like someone, all logic goes out the window. It's all about whatever fits a particular narrative that's been constructed. Anything to the contrary to that is ignored

So Serra, mir, and sonnen plus many others were wrong in their assessment of McGregors ground gsme, care to explain how you know more than them??

You know what? Save yourself the embarrassment and DONT reply.
You're WAY out of your league
Your need to ‘win’ and manufactured overinflated sense of self dont mask your glaring insecurities. Take a look at your last couple posts. Are those the comments of a secure man or a scared mouse puffing his chest? Just some food for thought.

His ground game isn't bad. His problem is his heart. He taps to get out of fights he is losing

He does to submissions. He loves the striking game and he will fight with heart as long as the fight is on the feet. But while his ground game I think is underrated, he hates being in submission attempts. That’s for sure.

What are you even talking about? I never said they were wrong you stupid fuck. I was explaining why Conor did "better" than others on the ground against Khabib. I actually agree his ground game is underrated. What he lacks is heart and thats why he gets tapped when he loses
Conor was wise to tap against Khabib, it was dissimilar to the Diaz fight. There was no way he was getting out of the neck crank.

Khabib had him in a career ending submission, you're telling me you wouldn't have tapped and that he should have never fought again because of a career ending injury?

Conor did better than both MJ and Poirier on the ground. he neutralized Khabib's insane GnP for a round. That's not easy.
MJ and Poirier both suck on the ground so that's not saying much

And it's debatable whether he did better than Dustin, as Dustin actually threatened with submissions.

well MJ and poirier didn't cheat once when they fought khabib, there's that !

Back