Matt Serra: (Conor's) Ground Game is underrated

What exactly do people mean when they say his grappling is underrated? I mean the way to beat him his with grappling, he gets tired after a few grappling exchanges. I think everyone universally agrees that the more grappling he has to do, the more likely his chances of losing are. I don't think anybody saying he's completely incompetent on the ground.

A lot of noobs don't realize this, but Serra is a super legit BJJ black belt, and he is one of the lots of famous black belts to say Conor's ground game isn't as bad as you guys say. Danis and Edgy Brah also say Conor has an underrated grappling game.

You feeling the need to explain about Serra, tells one how much of a "noob" you are. Reality is, Serra will say anything the UFC needs him to say on the UFC Unfiltered Podcast. All of McGregor's losses have come by way of Sub, says a lot right there. Ever watch him roll in the gym? Ams are giving him the work at times. All in the top 20 in the UFC have a ground game to some degree, but that's not to say his ground game is underrated.

His ground game isn't bad at all

He just went up against the guy with the best grappling in MMA history

He’s a professional fighter. He has more skills than any average man, but compared to his peers, he’s not a legit threat on the ground.

What exactly do people mean when they say his grappling is underrated? I mean the way to beat him his with grappling, he gets tired after a few grappling exchanges. I think everyone universally agrees that the more grappling he has to do, the more likely his chances of losing are. I don't think anybody saying he's completely incompetent on the ground.
You two clearly get it! +1

Maybe someone that doesn’t work directly for the ufc on their personal podcast
Or as I like to call it ‘propaganda’

If you really feel that way, then you're a loser pal lmao. A flat earther who looks WAY to deep into things because you dont have life, or, you're just another "Khabib shower buddy". I'd say a mixture of both.
20200103_071358.jpg

Even Khabib said 'his grappling is not bad' before they fought.

hes a wrestler now?

3420.jpg

Conor probably has some areas of grappling where he is excellent, and would surprise people. Just judging from the sheer amount of ground training he has put in over the years, as well as a few glimpses of very slick jiujitsu he has shown in his fights.

However, his back defense is simply terrible, inexcusably substandard. The submission Khabib put on him was extremely basic, & Conor did jack shit to defend against it, just tapped right away.

That’s a gigantic hole, he better have fixed.

its underrated but not enough for khabib = not enough.... and conor has a weakness on his neck... how many times got conor choked out on his neck?

It’s not great. I guess it depends what you rate his ground game as to whether or not it is under or over rated

all these people are being paid to say this, all his losses, were on the ground. and he didn't exactly fight to get out of them, he gave up quick in every situation

its underrated but not enough for khabib = not enough.... and conor has a weakness on his neck... how many times got conor choked out on his neck?
4, and all of them he just quit immediately, no fighting.

Conor did better than both MJ and Poirier on the ground. he neutralized Khabib's insane GnP for a round. That's not easy.
He literally just held on and tried to tie up Khabib. If he actually tried getting up, sweeping, going for subs etc.... He would have been smashed

He literally just held on and tried to tie up Khabib. If he actually tried getting up, sweeping, going for subs etc.... He would have been smashed

So Serra, mir, and sonnen plus many others were wrong in their assessment of McGregors ground gsme, care to explain how you know more than them??

You know what? Save yourself the embarrassment and DONT reply.
You're WAY out of your league

Underrated is super vague. Relative to what? A lot of boxers thought that Conor 'did great' or 'better than expected' vs Floyd. But that is only because they held him to some very low standards.
I think more that they didn't expect an mma fighter to be able to accomplish anything against a top 5 all time boxer in his weight. Even at 40

Conor showed some impressive boxing, relative to what he came in with and his background. To be able to do anything against even a 40 year old floyd deserves respect which he mostly didn't get outside of the boxing minds, legends and media.

Confirmation bias is a potent thing and it can be hard for people to even acknowledge anything that doesnt support this long standing narrative they've constructed In minds ( speaking generally here not about you in particular)

Last edited:
Back