Matt Serra - Conor is fighting at welterweight because he wants to have an excuse if he loses

Well it's confirmed. Pasta is brain food and Serra is the brainiest brain ever.

It's more about there being no reason to fight at 155. Conor isn't gonna request they fight at a lower weight and try to win via being more hydrated than his opponent. He wants to win via skills.

Basically, 155 makes no sense. Therefore they're fighting at 170. It's simple. I'm sure this thread is chock-full of stupidity though
If he wants to win with his skills, why does he cut so much weight to make 145?

Or because he wants to avenge the loss under the same (or close to the same) circumstances as the first fight, beating Nate at 155 create an excuse for the other side, "Oh, he may have beat him at 155 but 'WW Nate' would smoke him again."

LOL, I would love for that to have happened and to have people say that. That would be up there with the dumbest sh$t ever written on Sherdog, and we could all experience profound catharsis thrashing the poor souls who would argue that.

If he wants to win with his skills, why does he cut so much weight to make 145?
I'm talking about the Diaz fight. Conor wants to prove he's more skilled than Diaz. He doesn't want to win via dehydration.

He cut to 145 because he could make it and he has a size advantage over most of the division. Different situation to not wanting to rematch Diaz while forcing him to cut more weight

It's too funny how almost every fighter in the UFC is so jealous of Conor. Serra only eats so much pasta so he can have an excuse for being fat.

actually, he had a life threatening medical problem and needed to have emergency surgery and had some muscles in his neck and part of his first rib removed,

but yeah pasta.<27>

I am a huge Conor fan but I have been saying this since he moved up. Even if he loses decisively he still gets the excuse of "fighting a bigger man" and gets to keep his title without defending it.

Conor has never once implied that Nate won because he didn't have to cut much weight.

He's only ever implied that Nate's height, reach, weight helped him get the win. He still has all 3 of those things, whether they fight at 155 or 170.

Nate is the bigger man whether they choose to cut weight or not. 170 doesn't give Conor any excuses. 155 does give Nate excuses, however.

Stupid fans' failure to realize all of this, does not provide reason for Conor and Nate to needlessly cut extra weight.

Water is wet, sky is blue ...

The Featherweight champion is rematching the #5 ranked Lightweight .... at welterweight.
And that after bitching and crying about fighting a bigger man... after making a career out of fighting midgets and bragging about it.

Any real MMA fan knows that Conor is a super huge 145er aka a natural 155er and that Nate is a very very small welterweight aka a natural 155er too.
So the excuses are only for the casuals anyway since it's too 155ers fighting each other at a higher weight.

If Conor would have taken on Woodley, Rory or Lawler the excuse would have been valid and Matt Serra wouldn't even mention this...since it would be fucking obvious.

I would have respected Conor more if he had just said he got beat and he was inefficient with his gas tank and left it at that. He made himself look like an asshole bringing up the weight differential. He can't use it as an excuse when he wanted the fight at 170 and talking about knocking out guys at WW and being a 3 divison champ. It's bad enough when you you lose, but when you heap excuses on top of it, it turns people off and against you.

As for the media, you're right. But you're a younger person, you haven't realized that's what they do, they love building you up and they love tearing you down. That's how they operate.
Nate wanted the weight thanks largely to him being notoriously difficult to deal with when it comes to contract negotiations.

I honestly think he thought the weight differential wouldn't be an issue and that his power would translate. I think he was shocked if anything. I wouldn't read to much into it though because Nate's chin is something special - I think he'd KO other fighters at 170 if given the chance.

What do you actually mean by "they are both 155 fighters"? You still haven't listed an advantage. The actual, practical advantage of having the fighters cut to 155. What is it?
No bigger man excuse if Nate wins again

This dumb theory is completely based around the idea that Conor will lose. The level of irrational thinking when it comes to Conor is unreal. Do you guys really think that Conor sat down and thought "Aye..I gotsta do it agayne at 170..dat way when I get mah arse kicked again ill have an excuse!". That makes NO fucking sense. Why would he fight Diaz under circumstances that he thinks he can't win under???
Nate is a 155 fighter. Conor isn't taking on a true WW so he won't have a "built in excuse". I don't care what bollocks Serra says. I respect him as a fighter, but he's not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed.

Nate wanted the weight thanks largely to him being notoriously difficult to deal with when it comes to contract negotiations.

I honestly think he thought the weight differential wouldn't be an issue and that his power would translate. I think he was shocked if anything. I wouldn't read to much into it though because Nate's chin is something special - I think he'd KO other fighters at 170 if given the chance.

Certain fighters I think he can KO at 155, 170 if he lands cleanly, which with his accuracy it's well within the realm of possibility. But it's not his power or accuracy that's problematic at 55 or 70, IMO it's his cardio and wrestling.
Therein lies his real deficiencies, he will get wrestlefucked by bigger stronger guys with a more vaunted wrestling/grappling game than he's accustomed to dealing with at 45.

Or because he wants to avenge the loss under the same (or close to the same) circumstances as the first fight, beating Nate at 155 create an excuse for the other side, "Oh, he may have beat him at 155 but 'WW Nate' would smoke him again."

No

Yeah, no shit Serra.

And fighting at 170 also protects Conor from taking a loss at 155 where he still hopes to be gifted title shot.

Last edited:
Back